hard to tell if swollen glands or tight neck muscles

[fa...]

Hi all,

I have been having pain on both sides of my neck under jaw is tender where glands would be. It hurts a little to swallow but not like when you have a cold. More like a feeling of fullness. It seems like they might be swollen when I touch them, but I have also been going through a month of very tight/tense muscles. 2 weeks ago my lower neck/shoulder area felt like I was holding my shoulders up to my ears all day. I also couldn't turn my head without discomfort and kept stretching the muscles and using heating pad.

Just wondering...could this be a magnesium deficiency or just normal s/s of tapering? I know we are NOT supposed to take magnesium while tapering. Has anyone experienced this neck issue that could suggest something that may help?? Much appreciation :)

Hi all,

I have been having pain on both sides of my neck under jaw is tender where glands would be. It hurts a little to swallow but not like when you have a cold. More like a feeling of fullness. It seems like they might be swollen when I touch them, but I have also been going through a month of very tight/tense muscles. 2 weeks ago my lower neck/shoulder area felt like I was holding my shoulders up to my ears all day. I also couldn't turn my head without discomfort and kept stretching the muscles and using heating pad.

Just wondering...could this be a magnesium deficiency or just normal s/s of tapering? I know we are NOT supposed to take magnesium while tapering. Has anyone experienced this neck issue that could suggest something that may help?? Much appreciation :)

I'v been dealing w/ the tight neck muscles (front of neck/throat) for several months now. It comes and goes but feels like my throats is closing. It's horrible! Since it comes and goes, I truly believe it's the taper. I get this in my abdomen, back and shoulders as well. Since the throats is smooth muscle, it doesn't surprise me that it's affected as well. Praying that this symptoms leaves sooner than later. It's by far my worst one now.

Lori

Yes to Glands, nerves, fine face muscles, throat/swallowing, etc..  For me, not so much the bigger neck muscles..

I usually only get these things when its bad after a big tapering “event”...

Body stress, -I guess..

Hope it gets better soon for you..

• 5 weeks later...

I’m having the exact same symptoms as you are experiencing at this time. My throat feels like it’s closing up very tight and I have quite a bit of pain on each side of my neck. I can barely turn my head left or right without experiencing tremendous amount of pain. I’ve had a sore throat for about five weeks now and it seems to come and go but it’s always there to some extent.  I think it’s because I tapered too much recently when I went from 1.5 mg of Valium to 1 mg. Hopefully this is part of the withdrawal process and at some point in time in the future it will come to an end. Good luck to you and hang in there!!