New lab at Univ of Windsor (Ontario) investigates alternatives to animal testing

[...]

October 11, 2019

More than 4.3 million animals are used in research in Canada every year -- caged, poked and prodded -- to help scientists learn more about diseases and explore safe treatments for humans.

A biochemist is trying to change that by launching a lab at the University of Windsor to develop and test alternatives to using animals.

Charu Chandrasekera, executive director of the new facility, sees the opening of the Canadian Centre for Alternatives to Animal Methods (CCAAM) as an important step towards her ultimate goal.

“My dream is to see the end of animal testing in Canada within my lifetime,” she told CTV News.

------------

Studies have shown that 95 per cent of experimental treatments that work in animals fail when they are introduced to humans in clinical trials, a fact cited on the website for CCAAM. Sometimes drugs that are safe for animals have proven to be not only less effective for humans, but toxic to them.

“There are tremendous differences in the way animals and humans develop diseases and how we react to drugs and chemicals, so there is a major need to develop human-biology-based methods,” Chandrasekera said. She added that scientists also have an “ethical mandate.”

News Article and Video

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/new-lab-at-university-of-windsor-investigates-alternatives-to-animal-testing-1.4635795

TEDx talk by Dr. Charu Chandrasekera, executive director of CCAAM/CaCVAM

"It's time to think outside the cage"

Canadian Centre for Alternatives to Animal Methods

http://www.uwindsor.ca/ccaam/

The Canadian Centre for Alternatives to Animal Methods (CCAAM) and the Canadian Centre for the Validation of Alternative Methods (CaCVAM) aim to develop, validate, and promote non-animal, human biology-based platforms in biomedical research, education, and chemical safety testing.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

October 11, 2019

More than 4.3 million animals are used in research in Canada every year -- caged, poked and prodded -- to help scientists learn more about diseases and explore safe treatments for humans.

A biochemist is trying to change that by launching a lab at the University of Windsor to develop and test alternatives to using animals.

Charu Chandrasekera, executive director of the new facility, sees the opening of the Canadian Centre for Alternatives to Animal Methods (CCAAM) as an important step towards her ultimate goal.

“My dream is to see the end of animal testing in Canada within my lifetime,” she told CTV News.

------------

Studies have shown that 95 per cent of experimental treatments that work in animals fail when they are introduced to humans in clinical trials, a fact cited on the website for CCAAM. Sometimes drugs that are safe for animals have proven to be not only less effective for humans, but toxic to them.

“There are tremendous differences in the way animals and humans develop diseases and how we react to drugs and chemicals, so there is a major need to develop human-biology-based methods,” Chandrasekera said. She added that scientists also have an “ethical mandate.”

News Article and Video

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/new-lab-at-university-of-windsor-investigates-alternatives-to-animal-testing-1.4635795

The Canadian Centre for Alternatives to Animal Methods (CCAAM) and the Canadian Centre for the Validation of Alternative Methods (CaCVAM) aim to develop, validate, and promote non-animal, human biology-based platforms in biomedical research, education, and chemical safety testing.

I don't see anything about benzos here.

October 11, 2019

------------

News Article and Video

thank you soo much for this!!!

all drugs are tested on animals before humans. so yes benzos too. ALL DRUGS.

as a vegan, cruelty-free is of the utmost importance to me. as a compassionate human cruelty-free is of utmost importance to e. and everytime i take my meds i feel horrible knowing the animals who were forced to ingest these things to "prove efficacy and safety" for my human sake. it's rubbish. i hate it.  and i applaude Charu Chandrasekera for her dream and work to abolish animal testing with alternatives.  how about human testing? volunteers! there's plenty out there.

and i applaud you abcd for posting this news for the rest of us who also care about benzos and other drugs we take not being tested in inefficient animals studies.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :smitten:

October 11, 2019

------------

News Article and Video

thank you soo much for this!!!

all drugs are tested on animals before humans. so yes benzos too. ALL DRUGS.

as a vegan, cruelty-free is of the utmost importance to me. as a compassionate human cruelty-free is of utmost importance to e. and everytime i take my meds i feel horrible knowing the animals who were forced to ingest these things to "prove efficacy and safety" for my human sake. it's rubbish. i hate it.  and i applaude Charu Chandrasekera for her dream and work to abolish animal testing with alternatives.  how about human testing? volunteers! there's plenty out there.

and i applaud you abcd for posting this news for the rest of us who also care about benzos and other drugs we take not being tested in inefficient animals studies.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :smitten:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for this. I just didn't see anything directly related to benzos. My bad.