Need Help With A Taper Plan

[Li...]

Hi everyone,

I need assistance with coming up with a taper plan if you wouldn't mind. I'm currently on 1 mg of Klonopin, taken .5 twice a day. I tried cold turkey for 4 days but having major withdrawl symptoms. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh and only been taking them for approx 3 weeks.

Hi everyone,

I need assistance with coming up with a taper plan if you wouldn't mind. I'm currently on 1 mg of Klonopin, taken .5 twice a day. I tried cold turkey for 4 days but having major withdrawl symptoms. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh and only been taking them for approx 3 weeks.

Hi Lil, -welcome.. :)

It can be a bit of a juggle with short term use, -minimising time on med is important, as is managing any intense symptoms (SX)...

A big factor may be just how sensitive one is to discontinuation, and ones past medical history may give an indication (or not)..

I usually feel that 10% every 2weeks is a fair place to start (and adjust up or down from there), but for very short term it might be prudent to step this up a bit..??

I think if there is ever a time to give it your all, now would be it, but im assuming your WD response is beyond what your prepared or able to accept... It sure can happen..!! :(

Im reluctant to lay out reduction numbers and times, as we are all so different, but were it me, I would start firmly and assess by SX as I went..  There will likely still be a range of SX to contend with, and if you overstep, I would probably quickly do a little dose correction rather than hold the dose for more than a couple of weeks, given the short term nature..

Many people do a % of their previous dose (say 10%), but it can drag out at low doses and it might be better to aim for a more set % or number, given the short time “on med”...

I guess there are some risks both ways, If you could manage say 25% every few weeks, that would be great, imo, and more suited to pill splitting and perhaps the meds you have on hand... But if you run into trouble after a cut or two, then you may have to look at different pill sizes and tapering styles like weighing or titrating..

Its kinda a bite the bullet and see how it goes..

Perhaps one if the “math guys” could lay out a rough guide of a more set schedule as that IS what you asked for, but I hope my post helps with the considerations as to reduction sizes and speeds that you will choose... (how much to reduce, and how often you wish to do this...? Or when would you like your end date to be..??)

I guess a question is would your Dr continue to prescribe for tapering if needed..??

I understand you have a little over a months supply left at current doses..??

Hope this helps a little, and sing out if needed...

:)

Hi everyone,

Hello,

The recommended usage of benzos is two to three weeks so you are right in that time frame.

For short term users such as yourself, a faster taper might be possible.  In most cases we don't recommend a months long taper for someone who has taken benzos for just a few weeks.

We suggest that members come off their medications in a more rapid fashion (eg.perhaps cutting their meds in half every 5 days until they are off. Yes, this might cause withdrawal symptoms but it's far better to feel badly now, rather than risk tolerance withdrawal and potentially go through months or years of symptoms.

You can of course adjust the rate if symptoms become difficult. It's important to listen to your body.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the responses. I've decided I'm going to try to stick with C/T for now as I've made it to day 5. I woke up this morning feeling better as the brain fog I was in seems to have lifted. I still have a pretty bad pressure headache, but most physical symptoms seem to have subsided. Just dealing with some anxiety now and hopefully this too shall pass. But thank you so much for your responses and advise. I think since I only took the pills for a couple of weeks, I can handle the withdrawal symptoms knowing that they will go away and I will get better!

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the responses. I've decided I'm going to try to stick with C/T for now as I've made it to day 5. I woke up this morning feeling better as the brain fog I was in seems to have lifted. I still have a pretty bad pressure headache, but most physical symptoms seem to have subsided. Just dealing with some anxiety now and hopefully this too shall pass. But thank you so much for your responses and advise. I think since I only took the pills for a couple of weeks, I can handle the withdrawal symptoms knowing that they will go away and I will get better!

Hey, Thats Great news..!!

-And thanks for the feedback.. :)

The fact that you do feel better at this point leaves me highly optimistic that it will go well for you from here... :)

I wish you fast and continued healing, and all the best into the future..

**Thanks PG for your thoughts too, I kinda struggled on this due to the rare “but what if’s”, and lack of an extensive posting history over time.. Good to hear your experienced thoughts...