Is there much of a difference in a fast taper and cold turkey?

[oc...]

I am curious about the difference between a fast taper and cold turkey. Is there a huge difference or is it close to be the same things.

I was on a medication for 30 year on a high dose and my neuro pulled me off about 80 percent (until I stopped it) in a matter of 5 or 6 weeks.

I curious if others have had problems with a rapid taper like this. I guess I am curious if the results of a rapid taper is that much better that the results of cold turkey

Thanks

[6f...]
I did both, i was CTd, reinstated, CTd and reinstated again and then dragged off on a rapid taper, horrific, I'm sure that's why I'm headed towards protracted with awful sxs. To say the Dr was clueless would be an understatement.

I did both, i was CTd, reinstated, CTd and reinstated again and then dragged off on a rapid taper, horrific, I'm sure that's why I'm headed towards protracted with awful sxs. To say the Dr was clueless would be an understatement.

Sorry to hear that and sorry that you are having a rough time. I know that it can be hard. Its hard to imagine that doctors get paid so much.

I think the more you can taper, the better. I would imagine a rapid taper is better than a cold-turkey but neither is advisable. I cold-turkeyed though and survived.

na-  :angel:

Hey Ocean,

I think that you took your time at low dose would have gone a long way to help... -From the perspective of maximum efficiency of a given set (restricted) time frame...

I feel that avoiding the CNS shock associated with a CT would be the primary difference between a CT and RT, though the actual significance of that will vary somewhat between people and their situations, histories, etc...

And im not so sure that the actual intensity of symptoms experienced has a direct correlation to overall healing time, -I have seen people get hit pretty damn hard, but heal in reasonable time frames.. Sadly we often hear people are starting to feel better, and then they are gone from the site without reporting the certainty and finality of that healing (or I forget their names and story, if they come back later)... -so a bit of guessing remains... But thats my take on it, and I hope all goes well for you too...

:)

Thank you again and I am not trying to promote usage but again just reading stories. My kids are 13 14 and 14 trying to determine if I should just stay on it til they are 18/..feared of wasting years and being unfunctionable

Thank you again and I am not trying to promote usage but again just reading stories. My kids are 13 14 and 14 trying to determine if I should just stay on it til they are 18/..feared of wasting years and being unfunctionable

I think thats a fair thing to consider, more so if one CAN actually feel good-ish and functional on a set dose... The next best thing may be a very symptom based taper, which could end up being particularly slow, but still productive in the right or intended direction...??

I dont know if you know my story, but I was a 100% full time single dad through all this, something like 8yrs... C17 and later L21 have really been affected badly... Trouble was their was no viable way for me to even feel half human on these meds... Years in bed does not make for a good parent.. Shorter term, and with a good partner or support, it gets a bit greyer, more of a juggle, -Kids can be pretty resilient and step up far more than we often give them credit for...

But yes, a serious WD sure will have its costs.. I hope if you do continue, the rewards will smother the costs... -The same if you go back “on med”..

I do wonder if there is such a thing as a better or ideal time.. -That would be individual to assess...

My thoughts being that my kids needed me more present the older they got, and things can change in an unpredictable way..

Tough choice, for sure...

A new doc suggested that I needed to get off Xanax. I'd say I was in fast taper from Oct 2018 to Jan 2019. Things were rough, so I went C/T in Jan 2019 for two weeks. That was worse. Really, it was brutal.

I was totally destroyed. I began taking .5 Xanax which is where I was hitting Jan 2019. Then I shifted to liquid titration with very tiny reductions. That was not a picnic either, but I did go off about two months ago.

It is really hard to compare the period of fast taper, C/T (brief), and after getting off. They have all been rough, but there are more good days or at least moments off Xanax which was accomplished by taking a reduced (compared to original amount) and taking it very slow.

You will find people who have done this all the different ways. The main thing is getting off. My experience has been that tapering is not as bad, although fast tapering is a lot like just going C/T.

Find your way. You can do it. There are times when the benzos will tell you that you can't, but you really can - no matter what approach you decide is your best option.

Hey Ocean,

I think that you took your time at low dose would have gone a long way to help... -From the perspective of maximum efficiency of a given set (restricted) time frame...

I feel that avoiding the CNS shock associated with a CT would be the primary difference between a CT and RT, though the actual significance of that will vary somewhat between people and their situations, histories, etc...

And im not so sure that the actual intensity of symptoms experienced has a direct correlation to overall healing time, -I have seen people get hit pretty damn hard, but heal in reasonable time frames.. Sadly we often hear people are starting to feel better, and then they are gone from the site without reporting the certainty and finality of that healing (or I forget their names and story, if they come back later)... -so a bit of guessing remains... But thats my take on it, and I hope all goes well for you too...

Thanks for the reply.

yeah I was just wondering how big of a difference there is. I am sure there is a difference but I wonder if a few weeks is that much difference in being pulled off all at once.

Like with mine being on a high dose for 30 years and being pulled off in a matter of 4 - 5 weeks. Tho I am sure that its not as bad as CT tho.

A new doc suggested that I needed to get off Xanax. I'd say I was in fast taper from Oct 2018 to Jan 2019. Things were rough, so I went C/T in Jan 2019 for two weeks. That was worse. Really, it was brutal.

I was totally destroyed. I began taking .5 Xanax which is where I was hitting Jan 2019. Then I shifted to liquid titration with very tiny reductions. That was not a picnic either, but I did go off about two months ago.

It is really hard to compare the period of fast taper, C/T (brief), and after getting off. They have all been rough, but there are more good days or at least moments off Xanax which was accomplished by taking a reduced (compared to original amount) and taking it very slow.

You will find people who have done this all the different ways. The main thing is getting off. My experience has been that tapering is not as bad, although fast tapering is a lot like just going C/T.

Find your way. You can do it. There are times when the benzos will tell you that you can't, but you really can - no matter what approach you decide is your best option.

Yeah, I am more trying to find why I am having such a hard time over a year out. I was fast tapered at first then I slowed it down. Then I did a slow taper of xanax. Now I am back to slow tapering the original medicine but every cut is brutal. So I was wondering if the original rapid taper could have made things bad for me in taking a long time to heal. Who knows.

Thanks you for replying.

Sadly the “Who Knows” probably sums it up the best... There are just too many varied experiences to be making blanket rules/predictions for everyone (not directed at you), Its just the nature of this whole show.. Your “gut feelings” may hold as much weight as anything else...??

-Sorry, Im not much help on this one... -Just try not to lose faith in the body's amazing ability to heal, even if it does take time..

Crossover to Valium after klonopin tolerance..did it give any relief? Reading Ashton manual and thinking may want to follow that which would have me crossover to Valium

Crossover to Valium after klonopin tolerance..did it give any relief? Reading Ashton manual and thinking may want to follow that which would have me crossover to Valium

In my experience the crossover is overrated. A liquid microtaper off K is better imo. People do it all the time with success.