URGENT: Rapid Alprazolam Taper - Taking Librax For Nausea/Stomach Pain

[Se...]

I’ve been tapering alprazolam for more than a year.  I’ve had extreme nausea the entire time.  It doesn’t matter the dose, taper rate, etc.  I’ve slowed the taper many times and held.  I’m using DLMT.  I got to .24mg/day equally dosing four times a day.  I’ve had enough so I started a rapid taper. 

October 1st I started the rapid taper.  I cut from .24mg to .22mg for two days. The next two days I cut from .22mg to .21mg for two days.  On October 6th I started to cut daily:  .20, .19, .18, and today is .17mg (still equally dosing four times a day).  The nausea and stomach issues haven’t gotten any better...probably worse.  Today I took generic Librax, chlordiazepoxide and clidinium.  Chlordiazepoxide is a benzo and is used for stomach cramping and IBS.  I’ve used it very sparingly in the past for stomach pain, nausea and IBS long before tapering and never had an issue as I never used it long term.  I probably never used it more than a week at a time and far below the recommended dose of 1-2 capsules four times a day.  There were never any withdrawal issues.

Sometimes people are crossed over to Chlordiazepoxide as it’s a longer acting benzo...much longer than alprazolam.  Since hopefully I’m ten days from stopping alprazolam and at a low dose,  I thought it would be a good idea to include it since I’m so sick and miserable.

My friend is a pharmacist and she’s the one who suggested the plan.  She’s been a pharmacist for more than 20 years and is well aware of my tapering.

Am I sabotaging myself by using this while I finish the final ten days of my alprazolam taper?  The nausea and stomach cramping have become unbearable but like I said, it’s been this way throughout the entire taper...just worse now.  The chlordiazepoxide and clidinium does seem to be helping the pain and nausea.  No dose of alprazolam will fix this.  No up dosing will stabilize me. 

I’m planning to take it three times a day until my alprazolam taper is complete.  There really isn’t any fear of another withdrawal scenario from chlordiazepoxide and clidinium.  It will be very short term.

I’m looking forward to reading your comments and suggestions.

Thanks.

Yes, I am pretty sure you are hindering your results. You are using a benzo to relieve benzo withdrawal symptoms. Can’t imagine you will heal like this. Remeron stopped my nausea. I would rather see you try that than take another benzo. I am not saying you should. I am merely saying it saved me. My nausea was SOOOO bad I literally was going to die of starvation if I didn’t find something. I went 8 weeks without eating. I lost 1 lb everyday. Zofran did nothing. Remeron worked for some reason when nothing else did. BUT it also needs to be tapered and sucks to get off of. It’s not nearly as bad as Xanax was. Not even close. But if your nausea is manageable and you can eat then I might just try to grin and bear it. Either way I personally would not use Librax.

Thanks Jack37.  I’ve been on mirtazapine since April. That didn’t help nausea at all and briefly helped sleep.  I’m still on it though I feel it’s pooped out on me already.

I feel Librax is a short term crossover.  Zofran does nothing but give me a banging headache.  I’ve lost more than 50 pounds and can’t gain any weight back.  I eat simple foods and many foods are off limits.  I’m carb intolerant (had blood work...I’m not diabetic) but blood sugar goes out of control with carbs.  I eat them sparingly. No sugar.  No gluten.  Simple protein like chicken, a bit of potato, fresh fruit, veggies.  The nausea/stomach pain is not tolerable. 

The Librax is offering some relief.

It’s almost like choosing  to be blind or deaf.  It’s an impossible choice but I need something to quell the nausea..

I’ve tried every prescription nausea drug.  I’ve tried OTC meclizine and ginger caps too.

I feel I’m out of options.

Thanks for taking the time to offer support.

Any other thoughts on this buddies? 

Could really use some input!!

Thanks.

I'm going to throw this out there... while I do not possess a medical degree if any sort (M.S. in Clinical and Counseling Psychology- I know, and I'm a mess, right? Ugh!).

You are so close to the end of your taper but your physical health is taking a huge beating! If I were in your shoes and desperate to function, and the addition of the drug allowed me to hold down food, I'd take it. That's just me. This process has been hell! If it's just meant to be short term and it alleviates your severe nausea and vomiting when nothing else would, I totally get your desire to take it.

You've come a long way and I'm sure you're well versed in the dangers of Benzos. None of us need to preach to you. Do what you think is best for you and don't apologize for it.  There are no experts here. Only people who want the best for you. Take care of yourself!  ZERO judgement here!

Keep us posted.

Fondly,

Lori

@[Lo...]

Ashton has people crossover to Librium or Valium (both are long acting). Chlordiazepoxide is generic Librium and there’s 5mg in each capsule of of Librax.  1mg Xanax = 50mg Librium.  Since I’m at .17mg alprazolam a day, taking 3 caps a day = 15mg chlordiazepoxide (Librium).  It may be slight overkill but my symptoms are pretty severe.  I’m confident there won’t be any problems coming off Librax as it will be very short term. I actually feel some improvement today.

Of course it’s too early in the crossover to know, but I needed to take this leap of faith!  Hopefully I’ll end up on land and not in the water!! I hope my update includes the word “JUMPED”!!!

I’m still on clonazepam, a failed crossover, but I’ll tackle that beast once I stabilize off alprazolam.  I’ll do it.  I want my life back!

I always think of the Pink Floyd song, “Wish You Were Here” and the lyrics “We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year; running over the same old ground and how we found the same old fears.” 

I’m getting out of the fish bowl!!

Take care Lori and I can’t thank you enough for your support! 

Cindy