Switching to diazepam

[Iz...]

I’ve been tapering off of Ativan but having a lot of interpose pain. I suggested to my dr. about switching to Valium- but I haven’t because I questioned the math. Ashton suggests ativan conversion x10. Dr. Said 5x and pharmacist agreed but recalculated and came up with 7x. Coming off 3 mg of Ativan has been such an exact science- going down by.01 ml. How can I trust this wishy washy?

I’ve been tapering off of Ativan but having a lot of interpose pain. I suggested to my dr. about switching to Valium- but I haven’t because I questioned the math. Ashton suggests ativan conversion x10. Dr. Said 5x and pharmacist agreed but recalculated and came up with 7x. Coming off 3 mg of Ativan has been such an exact science- going down by.01 ml. How can I trust this wishy washy?

I can  understand it being confusing.  Almost every benzo conversion calculator comes up with something different.  I have no science to back up what I am going to say, just 2 years of reading bb almost everyday.  Many find the Ashton conversion a little high, now what that number is for everyone, can change.  Just a suggestion, not a Dr, imo, I would start a little lower than Ashton, go very slow, watch your symptoms, if you are feeling really good, go down some more.  It's a number , if you are careful you can back into.  There is another conversion table, quite a few use.  Hopefully, they will come on and tell you the name of it.  You might go to the search engine, under your avatar, and put in conversion tables, maybe it will pop up there.  Good luck!  Mary 💜

I was wondering this as well.  Ashton conversion is highest but I've had many say it's spot on.  It's very confusing.  For Klonopin, my doctor thought it was more like 1:10 instead of 1:20 - as you've said, calculations are all over the place.  I don't want to "underdose" during a cross, which is hard enough on many but I don't want to "kindle".  I should be crossing over from .360 K to 7.2 mg of V but I think we have decided on 6 mg of V as long as I tolerate the conversion of this one dose (feel a lot better in some ways but not sure if it's b/c of updose or longer acting but muscle pain and acid reflux are really getting me).  I'm actually considering 5 mg but I don't want to push it.  Thoughts?

I c/o from 1.75 mg of Ativan to 15 mg of Valium.  I too was using Ashton's table which would have been 17.5 mg of Valium, but after the 6-7 week c/o, I found that 15 mg of Valium worked for me.  I finished my c/o in April 2019 and am know under 10 mgs a day using pills and a DLMT.  Everyone is different when it comes to how we react to these drugs and the equivalencies from one to the next.

I was wondering this as well.  Ashton conversion is highest but I've had many say it's spot on.  It's very confusing.  For Klonopin, my doctor thought it was more like 1:10 instead of 1:20 - as you've said, calculations are all over the place.  I don't want to "underdose" during a cross, which is hard enough on many but I don't want to "kindle".  I should be crossing over from .360 K to 7.2 mg of V but I think we have decided on 6 mg of V as long as I tolerate the conversion of this one dose (feel a lot better in some ways but not sure if it's b/c of updose or longer acting but muscle pain and acid reflux are really getting me).  I'm actually considering 5 mg but I don't want to push it.  Thoughts?

Mom, there is another conversion table that Can't uses, he feels it's a better one and he is pretty smart.  If he sighs on this evening, you could ask him to send you the link.  But I agree, crossing over a little high, beats low.  :). You can always come down .

Mary,

I checked with Can't.  It wasn't him - he said he felt Ashton was accurate so it must be someone else????

Hmmm, I could have sworn it was Cant  :(. Let me do some thinking.  Try putting benzo conversion tables in the search engine under your avatar.  I know it was somebody that I would trust or I wouldn't even remember it  :idiot:

When I crossed from Ativan I used the 10:1 ratio, as Ashton suggests, and had no trouble. I don't see the downside in accepting this. If you use a different ratio, say 5:1 you run the risk of crossing to too little valium, feeling awful, and starting your taper off on the wrong foot. Why on earth are people second-guessing Ashton's conversion tables? It's not like this is rocket science and needs to be informed by new evidence lol.

So, that's my two cents' worth.

IMO Ashton's reduction tables are pretty good for the higher doses, but you might want to slow down (or reduce by less than she suggests) in the lower doses. Or start a daily liquid microtaper. I did and it saved my taper.

Just my thoughts.

:smitten:

Katz

It's a good point, Katz.  I just don't want to "updose" and have to come back down and it kind of felt like the 2 mg to .1 mg of K (1:20 for K) was a little too much.  I am going to see how this 1/2 or 2 mg goes and make a decision from there with the rest but I think you are right in what you say - Ashton says it herself on the attached about people crossing over too little.  Tried a liquid taper with K and couldn't do it b/c it processed too quickly through me BUT, I am hoping it could be a different story with the V.....

https://benzo.org.uk/ashvtaper.htm?fbclid=IwAR09lJntcQFPZ_aCjfpIouoC_gHTbhVWeNhgv1lj3UuP1iQMDk01Ym_o-MY

(1:20 for K) was a little too much

It's widely recognized as the correct equivalence. And having made many mistakes myself, I sure would rather cross to too much this isn't too much)  than too little. Oh brother, yes. Too little gets you "in the weeds" and they are very hard to get out of.

Anyhow, good luck.

:smitten:

Katz