Don't want to go back. Please

[Su...]

I'm almost 18 months from my last benzo. I've gone through a lot of the same symptoms that most of us have, many of them are gone or gotten better. My anxiety however, is way over-the-top. Apparently it feels like it's getting worse. I know that a benzo is not the answer. I cannot, and will not go through this hell again. It was torturous but somehow with help and love from others I managed to get better when I thought I was never going to feel better. My thing has always been to go for a pill to take away my nerves and anxiety. I'm in the support group, I talked to people continuously, and I reach out wherever necessary. One thing, and most importantly is that I have not picked up an Ativan. Little things trigger me, big things trigger me. But the past couple of days have been almost as bad as those days past tense, before I ever was given a benzo. Please!! Read my post and tell me what you've done.

Hello Sue. I can feel your pain as I suffer from high anxiety as well and did so unmedicated. I can only tell you that I used to spend every evening practicing body awareness, breathing exercises, exposure therapy etc. The problem is that our baseline anxiety is higher than normal people. The idea is to try and lower that baseline. Visualization works too. There are many methods but these methods worked for me over consistent use over time.