Meloxicam (Mobic) Experiences?

[th...]

I believe that it’s an anti inflammatory. I’ve never taken it but it was prescribed to my dog for her back issues a couple years back.

I believe that it’s an anti inflammatory. I’ve never taken it but it was prescribed to my dog for her back issues a couple years back.

Yes, it is an NSAID. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

“γ-aminobutyrate (GABA) is a crucial inhibitory neurotransmitter in the mammalian peripheral nervous system (PNS) and central nervous system (CNS) (1). ... Accumulating evidence suggests that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) modulate GABAA receptor function in heterologous expression systems (6).Mar 15, 2016”

“γ-aminobutyrate (GABA) is a crucial inhibitory neurotransmitter in the mammalian peripheral nervous system (PNS) and central nervous system (CNS) (1). ... Accumulating evidence suggests that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) modulate GABAA receptor function in heterologous expression systems (6).Mar 15, 2016”

Hi sofakingdone,

So, what does that mean in practical terms?

Was prescribed this for back pain. Anybody have an experience with it?

It can cause a heart attack or a stroke. IMO bad news.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/fda-strengthens-warning-that-nsaids-increase-heart-attack-and-stroke-risk-201507138138

Hi benzogirl, how are you doing?

Thanks for the article. I was more thinking about this drug and brain healing. Not sure there is an answer out there. "Modulation" is ambiguous.

Sofa is right, i wouldn't touch it irrespective of brain issues.

What do you mean "is right"? Sofa's post just states that it "modulates" which doesn't tell you if it is good or bad. I take the occasional Advil also, which is an NSAID and it doesn't seem to have any negative effects.

What exactly does modulates mean? Should I be concerned about it prolonging my withdrawal process? I deal with all over body pain

[1b...]
Research shows that use of NSAIDS has an adverse effect on the heart. I would send links to these studies but don't have access to them atm as I'm having to use my phone to post.

Was prescribed this for back pain. Anybody have an experience with it?

It can cause a heart attack or a stroke. IMO bad news.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/fda-strengthens-warning-that-nsaids-increase-heart-attack-and-stroke-risk-201507138138

Hi benzogirl, how are you doing?

Thanks for the article. I was more thinking about this drug and brain healing. Not sure there is an answer out there. "Modulation" is ambiguous.

I’m just zippy thanks. Insomnia is a bugger though. I hope you are well.

TST,

I thought it best to just copy and paste the text from the site because I have no idea what they mean by modulate either.

Sofa

Penny,

I can’t take NSAIDS because I had a gastric bypass.  The surgeon said “no more NSAIDS.  It tears up your stomach.”

Sofa

If you take Advil and you’re fine, meloxicam will be fine. But if Advil doesn’t help, it’s unlikely meloxicam will do anything better.

Yes, there’s some small experimental data in rats, maybe not even in rats but in slices of rat brain, that show NSAIDs can inhibit gaba to a minor extent. Is that clinically relevant in humans, who the hell knows, but doubtful, or NSAIDs would give everyone panic attacks (they don’t). 

There is a vast difference between a cell culture study or rat brain slice in a bench and effects on the human brain.

Try yoga, heat, magnesium. Likely to be more helpful.

[1b...]
Most meds are ok for people who don't have a compromised cns eg compromised by bwd. I've just been taking aspirin and wondered why i was having a severe uptick in sxs, I'd taken it before bwd with no problems. After researching it's mode of action i found out that its metabolites have a dysregulating effect on gaba. I've stopped the aspirin and the sxs have stopped.

If you take Advil and you’re fine, meloxicam will be fine. But if Advil doesn’t help, it’s unlikely meloxicam will do anything better.

Yes, there’s some small experimental data in rats, maybe not even in rats but in slices of rat brain, that show NSAIDs can inhibit gaba to a minor extent. Is that clinically relevant in humans, who the hell knows, but doubtful, or NSAIDs would give everyone panic attacks (they don’t). 

There is a vast difference between a cell culture study or rat brain slice in a bench and effects on the human brain.

Try yoga, heat, magnesium. Likely to be more helpful.

Hi ICAN,

Thank you for that!

• 2 weeks later...

I just started on Meloxicam today. Dr. prescribed 15mg per day but I'm starting with a quarter of a pill and I'll increase if I can tolerate it and if it seems to work.

I'll update if I have anything to report. The listed side effects are pretty scary.

I'm currently having trouble sleeping but I think it's mostly due to pain. Sure hoping this stuff works! I've been taking 600mg of ibuprofen 3x per day for hip and shoulder pain and it doesn't help (but I have no side effects, as far as I can tell.)

• 2 weeks later...
I take Meloxicam for back pain and I have had no problems with it. Better to take Meloxicam and ditch the Advil, especially if it's not working.