Easy Exercises To Do At Home?

[IH...]

When I say "easy", I mean exercises you can do without any equipment... I haven't tried, but placing your feet under a stable couch might help you do sit-ups.

If you love music, play some disco (or whatever) and dance around.. Hopefully the music distracts you a bit, and becomes fun, instead of exercise as work.

I wish I had a stationery bike. I can't afford it, and I'd be afraid that after buying one, that I'd use it for a day or two, and then never touch it again.

Squats, sit-ups, pushups, lunges, dips, yoga, stretches, jump rope, kettlebells, planks, etc.

I got a stationary bike for pretty cheap off of Amazon last year and it is surprisingly really good quality. Sunny brand. Good for winter.

Squats, sit-ups, pushups, lunges, dips, yoga, stretches, jump rope, kettlebells, planks, etc.

I got a stationary bike for pretty cheap off of Amazon last year and it is surprisingly really good quality. Sunny brand. Good for winter.

Thanks. Could you tell me how cheap is cheap? I want some kind of comparison. Cheers!

Thanks. Could you tell me how cheap is cheap? I want some kind of comparison. Cheers!

I think I paid around $200.

When I say "easy", I mean exercises you can do without any equipment... I haven't tried, but placing your feet under a stable couch might help you do sit-ups.

If you love music, play some disco (or whatever) and dance around.. Hopefully the music distracts you a bit, and becomes fun, instead of exercise as work.

I wish I had a stationery bike. I can't afford it, and I'd be afraid that after buying one, that I'd use it for a day or two, and then never touch it again.

Hey IHateBusiness,

Have you looked into doing 7 minute workouts?

Gets the body going without over-exerting.

Dave.  8)

Hey IHateBusiness,

Dave.  8)

Hi Dave. Unfortunately, I haven't done anything. I never move, I never leave the house, I don't talk to anyone, and my joints and muscles are so stiff, and I just don't have it in me to start.

And yesterday (or this morning), I noticed I had a loud snore (plugged nose), woke up, luckily fell back asleep, but it kept on happening. I have a headache now.

I really like Leslie Sansone's dvds - low impact exercise you can do in your own home.  You can find some of the workouts on youtube too. 

Hey IHateBusiness,

Dave.  8)

Hi Dave. Unfortunately, I haven't done anything. I never move, I never leave the house, I don't talk to anyone, and my joints and muscles are so stiff, and I just don't have it in me to start.

And yesterday (or this morning), I noticed I had a loud snore (plugged nose), woke up, luckily fell back asleep, but it kept on happening. I have a headache now.

Hi again,

Can you walk at all? If you can, then maybe just build on walking up and down your hallway. This is about all I can do for now. On a window, I can take my Mum for walks. The key is to listen to your body. If you are totally immobile for now, and absolutely cannot move, then unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done except to rest. Don't push yourself. Also, look into changing up your diet. Cut out caffeine and sugars and MSG. Some would suggest to go full keto. The diet change-up has really helped me.

Dave.  8)

I have been stationary biking @ home for over a decade now. All my cardio is now low to moderate intensity. I try to do 30 mins per day unless I am really sick. I purchased my last bike off Amazon too. It is a fan bike.

I also lift light weights in a gym probably 4 days a week........nothing heavy tho.....plus, it gets me out of the house and around other ppl. The social interaction can be a little uncomfortable sometimes but I always feel better afterwards. :-)

I have been stationary biking @ home for over a decade now. All my cardio is now low to moderate intensity. I try to do 30 mins per day unless I am really sick. I purchased my last bike off Amazon too. It is a fan bike.

I also lift light weights in a gym probably 4 days a week........nothing heavy tho.....plus, it gets me out of the house and around other ppl. The social interaction can be a little uncomfortable sometimes but I always feel better afterwards. :-)

:thumbsup:

Dave.  8)

• 3 weeks later...

IHateBusiness,

I am in similar circumstances, I think. I have no equipment and still struggle to leave the house. (Though I got my 10000 steps today by going to the shop and taking a hefty  long-route home... yay me!)

On days where I am really struggling though, I will do just about anything. If I feel totally no energy and end up in bed all day, then I try to just do isometric exercises, basically just flexing different muscle groups. Minimum energy but I won't really get fit this way. But on a bad day, it is better than nothing.

If I feel energetic, but still don't want to go out; jogging on the spot is a decent option. You can go slow or go fast. It all counts as cardio, I reckon? I like to at least have a view of the tree outside though, it helps me somehow. And of course the stuff like press ups, sit ups, stretching etc. all these do help keep some semblance of fitness going. I have a bag full of old coins. Tightly sellotaped up, it weighs only 5kg or so, but I make a point of holding it in whatever hand is free. I don't do reps or anything. Just keep hold off it and move that arm around a bit. Anyway, none of this is training me up for marathon status, but I figure any movement is better than none. Best of luck with your endeavours!

IHateBusiness,

I am in similar circumstances, I think. I have no equipment and still struggle to leave the house. (Though I got my 10000 steps today by going to the shop and taking a hefty  long-route home... yay me!)

On days where I am really struggling though, I will do just about anything. If I feel totally no energy and end up in bed all day, then I try to just do isometric exercises, basically just flexing different muscle groups. Minimum energy but I won't really get fit this way. But on a bad day, it is better than nothing.

If I feel energetic, but still don't want to go out; jogging on the spot is a decent option. You can go slow or go fast. It all counts as cardio, I reckon? I like to at least have a view of the tree outside though, it helps me somehow. And of course the stuff like press ups, sit ups, stretching etc. all these do help keep some semblance of fitness going. I have a bag full of old coins. Tightly sellotaped up, it weighs only 5kg or so, but I make a point of holding it in whatever hand is free. I don't do reps or anything. Just keep hold off it and move that arm around a bit. Anyway, none of this is training me up for marathon status, but I figure any movement is better than none. Best of luck with your endeavours!

Thank you. I never stay in bed. If I can't go back to sleep in 5 minutes, I can't just lay there, no matter how much I want to. I get upset, and start the routine.. I turn on the laptop, maybe put on some music, and eventually watching videos of some sort... Speaking of music, dancing is something one can do without any equipment. I do try and stretch, but many times I forget. Unfortunately, I spend all my time on the couch, but I wish I could find some humor, since laughing can only help, but I think I've explored all that.

I actually texted my ex-therapist about possibly going back, but she said she was full, and didn't know if my psychiatrist would put me on if I agreed to drug testing, and I just don't feel like calling her. It took me weeks just to send her the text, but every Friday I'd say I'd do it on Monday, and until then, my brain wouldn't shut up about that nervous anticipation. I still have pills left, and yesterday I was very, very close to drinking alcohol instead of my usual 3mg of Xanax, just to test it out, as opposed to waiting until I have none left, and then having no choice.

IHateBusiness,

I think it is a good thing that you don't stay in bed. I really try not to do that. Often though, even if I have got up; I can still find myself retreating into bed. It is like a safe place to hide or something, when waves of withdrawals are acute, you know?

But I then get anxious about being so inactive hence I try to keep moving, even while lying down. Sure exercise is absolutely important but, with zero energy, sometimes it's just not possible. I got a book (The 4 Pillar Plan by Dr Chatterjee) and he seemed to emphasize movement over actual exercise. That's what I "cherry-picked" anyway. It makes sense to me that any movement beats none at all. Even getting up more often. Like I'll get a drink of some herbal tea (caffeine is no longer an option for me now. :( ) then half an hour later need to go pee. I just keep this cycle going to keep moving.

Dancing, definitely! I never even thought about that. Much more cheerful than a workout. I think I would be keeping my dancing strictly private though! lol. I don't have the moves like Jagger..

As to alcohol, yes it's a tricky area. I have managed to enjoy a little relief from a couple of beers and some good tv. It is a change of scene but only briefly. Good enough if you can control it (I struggle to limit it to one or two though...) And, of course we know the dangers of substitution. As an occasional thing though, I can't really see the problem.

I hope you manage to contact your psychiatrist. Seems the good option but it can be hard to make contact. I'm struggling to contact my gp these days as I'm always paranoid that he is fed up with me... It was him that gave me that book, so I know he is not unsympathetic. GPs in general just don't seem to fully understand the benzo pain, I find.

Anyway, for laughs, I watch Still Game or The Office. They never fail me! :D

• 3 weeks later...

IHateBusiness,

I think it is a good thing that you don't stay in bed. I really try not to do that. Often though, even if I have got up; I can still find myself retreating into bed. It is like a safe place to hide or something, when waves of withdrawals are acute, you know?

But I then get anxious about being so inactive hence I try to keep moving, even while lying down. Sure exercise is absolutely important but, with zero energy, sometimes it's just not possible. I got a book (The 4 Pillar Plan by Dr Chatterjee) and he seemed to emphasize movement over actual exercise. That's what I "cherry-picked" anyway. It makes sense to me that any movement beats none at all. Even getting up more often. Like I'll get a drink of some herbal tea (caffeine is no longer an option for me now. :( ) then half an hour later need to go pee. I just keep this cycle going to keep moving.

Dancing, definitely! I never even thought about that. Much more cheerful than a workout. I think I would be keeping my dancing strictly private though! lol. I don't have the moves like Jagger..

As to alcohol, yes it's a tricky area. I have managed to enjoy a little relief from a couple of beers and some good tv. It is a change of scene but only briefly. Good enough if you can control it (I struggle to limit it to one or two though...) And, of course we know the dangers of substitution. As an occasional thing though, I can't really see the problem.

I hope you manage to contact your psychiatrist. Seems the good option but it can be hard to make contact. I'm struggling to contact my gp these days as I'm always paranoid that he is fed up with me... It was him that gave me that book, so I know he is not unsympathetic. GPs in general just don't seem to fully understand the benzo pain, I find.

Anyway, for laughs, I watch Still Game or The Office. They never fail me! :D

Thanks for the reply. I wish I can take my own advice, but the only exercise I get is from walking 3 steps to pee, even though I drink less than 10 ounces of liquids a day, but I pee 20 times a day, and have for at least 10 years. I even kept track a few weeks ago - once every 20 minutes.

I'm too anxious (?) to ever lay in bed. When I wake up at 3am (like today) to pee, thoughts started filling my head, and if I can't fall asleep within 5 minutes, I start going nuts and have to get up. I literally start becoming delirious, trouble breathing.

I live in the US, so there's no help here. My car doesn't work, and I haven't left my house this month. I bought a lot of dry/frozen foods to avoid leaving the house more than once a month. I literally have vocal conversations with heroes of mine during the day to make the time go by. I can't even listen to music. The last song will be stuck in my head over and over, but not the entire song, but rather one melody, one line, and it drives me crazy. My body and brain is constantly under attack. I wish life had a PAUSE button.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey IHateBusiness,

Dave.  8)

Can you circle your ankles slowly in each direction? That will help blood flow and lower leg muscles.

Can you circle wrists? Open and close hands?

Can you lift arms up and down from elbow?

Can you lie on your back (wish I could as get lower). If so try bending on leg and then releasing and then other etc.

Just move what you can when you can.