arrhythmias

[mi...]

Does anyone feel like their heart beats irregularly sometimes? When I check my blood pressure sometimes the irregular heart beat symbol shows up. if so is it normal? will my heart return to normal once I'm healed?

No diagnosed heart issues, never had palpitations, chest tightness or irregularities til now.

thanks everyone! ;D

Yes, palpitations are a withdrawal symptom along with many many others. I'd recommend you go to Dr and get your heart checked out to rule anything out, then you can bee 100% sure it's from the benzo.

Also, you need to switch over to valium for your taper in my opinion. You are on the equivalent of 20mg of valium with that Klonopin dose.

Find a Dr who is willing to support you through your taper, and take your time. I've been tapering for a year now.

You can find taper plan info on here as well.

Good luck

After you get the a-ok, just relax. I know that's the last thing you feel like doing when your heart feels off rhythm.  :) But just about everyone gets ectopic beats when adrenaline surges (cortisol  too!). Palps drove me nuts. Still do. And I get that heart symbol plenty of times on my wrist bp gauge.  If you throw even one pac or pvc that symbol will come up. Once the doctor tells you they are benign BELIEVE him or her. Palpitations are very very common in benzo taper. Check out the support group for palps! It will help put your mind at ease. Sometimes, if you cut too fast, it can flare up. The main thing to remember is that movement is medicine. Do some moderate exercise, and know an irritable vagus nerve can cause an increase in ectopics too. I love this cardiologist on You Tube, maybe check him out, he is from York Cardiology in England...so reassuring! Hang in there. Watch your stress. Let me know what your doc says.

My cardiologist has no worries which is great and says my heart is healthy ive had many EKGs ultrasound 24hr monitor and everythings really healthy (blessed) I just hope the palpitations go away after all this because I haven't ever had a palpitation until I started coming off Benzos. sometimes they're so strong they hurt. I almost can't imagine I have a healthy heart because of them, but I guess it happens to a lot of people! they aren't fun at all.

is a palpitation considered an irregular heart beat/rhythm?

• 2 weeks later...
I’m in your shoes. Heavy drinker and benzo abuse. I’ve had stress tests, echo cardio grams, calcium scans, been to the ER 5 times with EKG. Everytime I’m all cleared and told no heart disease...  In my mind it can’t be true because of what I feel. But I haven’t died yet. Klonopin really seems to mess with muscles. I’m a month off after a 6 month taper and still get the chest pains, tightness, and palps. Just keep on trucking and know it’s the benzos and your heart is not going to stop. The body is an amazing machine and will keep repairing.

You might want to consider a low dose beta blocker if they become too bothersome. I take atenelol for my irregular beats but I had an arrythmia before benzos. A lot of people though in benzo wd do take them though bc of the discomfort of the irregular beats while withdrawing.

Good luck and feel better,

Trish

Alcohol abuse sets you up for numerous problems due to nutritional deficiencies. It affects all of the nervous system including the wiring to the heart. All B vitamins help brain and nerves. It's especially needed for any tremors, etc.  You need to check these blood levels and then add a balanced B complex slowly.Do not take individual Bs as you can cause an imbalance. Do not continue alcohol and do this- it can have serious risks.

B vitamins are water soluble as is vitamin C which you also need. Again, begin slowly with buffered C and increase a little every 2 weeks or so. You must lay off sugar and caffeine.

Co enzyme Q10 will help with the cardiology problems as well.  This seems to not have the same issues as the B and C vitamins. Minimum dose is 400mg/day. It has been found to help even heart failure patients to recover.

When in withdrawal, the body is getting the crap kicked out of it in many ways. Help it to heal by giving it things it needs.Good luck all.

Thanks everyone, Ive gotten chest xrays CT scans of my heart even an MRI everything is perfect thank god, the only thing that is off is my potassium its low and I can tell when its low because I get multiple heart palpitations and feel somewhat dizzy, since this post I haven't had any arrhythmias (that I know of) nothing had showed up on my BP. monitor

My cardiologist did suggest metoprolol (spelling) for my palpitations I took it for a week and my heart beat was in the 40s and my palpitations were even stronger, I've picked coffee back up and im doing ok with it just gives me occasional clamminess and maybe one heart palpitation if that a day.

thank you for all the suggestions Hohhot I've been taking a Muti vitamin daily seems to be helping somewhat.

thank you all again wishing you all the very best.

progress :)

• 3 weeks later...

No doubt that Benzos alone can do weird things. Please check out these other contributors.

Due to your history reporting heavy drinking for a couple of years, you're likely very depleted of both B vitamins and CoQ10 enzymes.  B vitamins regulate nerves and the brain.  The heart is a self starter but relies on nerves to carry impulses through it.  B vitamins must be taken together to replenish from alcohol.

CoQ10 has been very effective to help heart anomalies even heart failure. There is no too high dose reported. The base level recommended is 400mg per day.

The vagus nerve is the number ten cranial nerve that runs from brain along R/L neck then through the body. It slows down irregular heart beats. It also regulates normal gut function.  It relies on acetylcholine to work. Look up foods and supplements that help make it. https://selfhacked.com/blog/acetylcholine/

Low thyroid can also cause heart issues.  Please have a complete panel tested. According to the Hunt study which correlated cardiac risk to thyroid function, it is found to be better to have a TSH under 1.5.

Good luck with your issues.