This is Life with Lisa Ling OFFICIAL WATCH PARTY thread!

[Fl...]

Grab some popcorn and settle into your comfy chair, if you haven't seen it yet you are in for a treat. I have never felt more validated than I did after watching this piece.

Post your thoughts and opinions during and/or after the show, and don't forget to tune into the BIC after shows on Youtube immediately following the broadcast. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL_uDNwRWNmbEaZBENj-iFg

Lets hope this paves the way for more positive changes  :thumbsup:

I found this link today for those who may not have cable. Unsure if it works http://watchnewslive.tv/watch-cnn-news-live-24-7-free/

I was just getting ready to post that I don't have cable and that I thought that I had a workaround but it turns out that I don't. There are a couple of other streaming sites, I tried one earlier today and it worked fine but I tried two tonight and got a blank. This one seems to work though!

Second time I watched this and I'm still getting choked up. Sad for Jonathan and his family but happy that thousands of people are seeing this.

I hope people just don’t think it’s because he cold turkeyed

Yea, there were some important details that got left out. Hopefully they will get a good response to this episode so they decide to do a follow up at some point.

I think it's such an important program. I remember going to doctors and them quizzically saying, "Why can't you get better?" If only I could have said, "Well watch this show on CNN. It might help you understand."

One of my sisters has MS so she has an idea of what I am going through, The other just texted me "WOW! This is crazy and shocking! Are you doing any better?"

Anybody get Deja Vu watching the pathetic answers her doctor who treated her dad gave? Felt like I was in the doctors office trying to get answers and getting the run around as he just gave her. No way he would admit such a thing fearing medical malpractice

Thought it was very good but didn’t like her closing part about having to read the pamphlets that come with the scrips.  I asked lots of questions and my dr glossed it all over and said it was perfectly safe.  Even said I don’t have an addictive personality.  Grrr

This show hit home with both of my sisters.

The one that has MS said that she hears people at work talking about taking them and she lectures them. I didn't know that. I told her to just make sure they don't cold turkey if they do decide to come off.

Drew - Agree on the "read the pamphlet' piece. Doctors totally downplay the side effects and don't follow the prescribing information on the pamphlets anyway! Ugh. I also asked the doctor about side effects and potential long term effects and was told all would be well.

Florida- Glad you're sisters watched and are becoming educated about these medications.

The thing about the info pamphlet is that it lists a bunch of symptoms but nowhere does it say that you could suffer from debilitating symptoms that can last a very long time after your last dose.

For just 50 minutes it was a good treatment of the main issues,

and key warnings were emphasized.

But it did not cover the issue of neuron receptor injury.

It did not stress that the longer they are used, the more

serious the harm, and the increased danger when tapering.

That tapers must be extremely slow both to reduce

withdrawal symptoms and to protect neurons.

I read the 4+ pages that pharmacies issued with benzos;

first over 15 years ago, and twice more recently.

Those pages failed to provide proper warnings, but

I hope they have added something since then.

I am just curious what would have been learned had I read the entire pamphlet instead of listening to the woman who ruined my life..

I started on ativan:

The label:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/017794s044lbl.pdf

It warns of making pre existing depression worse. It has a paragraph about dependence. It says :

benzodiazepines should be prescribed for short periods only (e.g., 2 to 4 weeks)

Continuous long-term use of product is not recommended. Withdrawal symptoms (e.g., rebound insomnia) can appear following cessation of recommended doses after as little as one week of therapy. Abrupt discontinuation of product should be avoided and a gradual dosage-tapering schedule followed after extended therapy.

Abrupt termination of treatment may be accompanied by withdrawal symptoms. Symptoms reported following discontinuation of benzodiazepines include headache, anxiety, tension, depression, insomnia, restlessness, confusion, irritability, sweating, rebound phenomena, dysphoria, dizziness, derealization, depersonalization, hyperacusis, numbness/tingling of extremities, hypersensitivity to light, noise, and physical contact/perceptual changes, involuntary movements, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, hallucinations/delirium, convulsions/seizures, tremor, abdominal cramps, myalgia, agitation, palpitations, tachycardia, panic attacks, vertigo, hyperreflexia, short-term memory loss, and hyperthermia. Convulsions/seizures may be more common in patients with pre-existing seizure disorders or who are taking other drugs that lower the convulsive threshold such as antidepressants.

There is evidence that tolerance develops to the sedative effects of benzodiazepines.

I have all that LOL

it says:

In patients with depression, a possibility for suicide should be borne in mind; benzodiazepines should not be used in such patients without adequate antidepressant therapy.

A lot of other stuff. I still would have assumed this stuff is temporary and abates when the drug is removed. Nothing about severe long term w/d

I'm really pleased with how this show came across. Made my wife and I both cry and nod in agreement. Not as in depth as many of us like, but I was surprised that they actually depicted (at least partially) the degree of suffering that many of us go/have gone through. The discussion has been opened at a national level now.

I am just curious what would have been learned had I read the entire pamphlet instead of listening to the woman who ruined my life..

I started on ativan:

The label:

It warns of making pre existing depression worse. It has a paragraph about dependence. It says :

benzodiazepines should be prescribed for short periods only (e.g., 2 to 4 weeks)

It is quite ironic that the last sentence above is absolutely the most important thing on the pamphlet, yet it is completely ignored by prescribing physicians.

The advice is always "talk to your doctor". So what are you supposed to do when your doctor ignores the guidelines set forth by the people who actually make the drugs?

Someone doesn't know what they are doing and we are the ones that end up paying the price.

A lot of other stuff. I still would have assumed this stuff is temporary and abates when the drug is removed. Nothing about severe long term w/d

Yep. Where does it say that symptoms can last for months or years? It's one thing to have severe, debilitating issues while you are on the drug. It's another thing to have chronic severe, debilitating issues that can last indefinitely after you stop taking the drug.

The thing about the info pamphlet is that it lists a bunch of symptoms but nowhere does it say that you could suffer from debilitating symptoms that can last a very long time after your last dose.

.... and nowhere in the pamphlet (Costco Pharmacy) does it say  "this medication should not be taken for more than 2 weeks".... when Doctors typically write benzo scripts with multiple refills (mine did for 3)  .  I thought is was a pretty good presentation in the time that it had between commercials but as usual, the "professionals" in the program  hedged their bets with their comments.  Even Lisa Ling.... " could it be that my dad's symptoms were withdrawal effects from the benzos he was given?"  The answer should be pretty obvious to her by now but even she (like the other "professionals") weren't going to come out and admit/state the obvious. Probably the most honest professional was the pharmacist.

Yep. Where does it say that symptoms can last for months or years? It's one thing to have severe, debilitating issues while you are on the drug. It's another thing to have chronic severe, debilitating issues that can last indefinitely after you stop taking the drug.

because if they told that little tidbit of info on the pamphlet, nobody would take it. lol at least my p docs always lied and said oh don't worry about that man behind the green curtain!

(in other words, they said don't worry about the truths in those pamphlets, they just wrote that for legal reasons)

"nothing to see here folks, move along, move along"

how stupidly i trusted those p docs. and now, as Hubbs says, there will be lawsuits. actually his exact words were "after the CNN special airs, i wonder how many lawsuits there's gonna be?"

we may not be able to pay 100,000$ each to sue, but we can sure as hell join together for class action

I started on ativan:

The label:

Continuous long-term use of product is not recommended. Withdrawal symptoms (e.g., rebound insomnia) can appear following cessation of recommended doses after as little as one week of therapy. Abrupt discontinuation of product should be avoided and a gradual dosage-tapering schedule followed after extended therapy.

Abrupt termination of treatment may be accompanied by withdrawal symptoms. Symptoms reported following discontinuation of benzodiazepines include headache, anxiety, tension, depression, insomnia, restlessness, confusion, irritability, sweating, rebound phenomena, dysphoria, dizziness, derealization, depersonalization, hyperacusis, numbness/tingling of extremities, hypersensitivity to light, noise, and physical contact/perceptual changes, involuntary movements, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, hallucinations/delirium, convulsions/seizures, tremor, abdominal cramps, myalgia, agitation, palpitations, tachycardia, panic attacks, vertigo, hyperreflexia, short-term memory loss, and hyperthermia. Convulsions/seizures may be more common in patients with pre-existing seizure disorders or who are taking other drugs that lower the convulsive threshold such as antidepressants.

There is evidence that tolerance develops to the sedative effects of benzodiazepines.

I have all that LOL

it says:

In patients with depression, a possibility for suicide should be borne in mind; benzodiazepines should not be used in such patients without adequate antidepressant therapy.

i bolded the stuff i got, and i haven't rapid tapered or CT'd off the benzo i've been on for 10 years. however they put me on and yanked me off a few in the past during 1 week stays inpatient and 1 month z-drug trials etc with no warning whatsoever.

The show was riveting and I certainly felt validated. When I asked about the side effects about Ambien I was told it was easy to stop and no side effects. I have a brother in law who takes Xanex for anxiety and sleep. I warned him and he said he does not take it every day and that Xanex is "good". If it ever turned on him I don't think he would be able to handle withdrawal.

I noticed this morning that there are lots of new posters in introductions. I bet they watched the show.

Becky