Reinstatment

[Ka...]

I’m not sure which area to post this. Please respond so I get some feedback. I’m 7 months off kpin to Valium taper. My insomnia is so bad I am thinking about reinstating. What is the general information or thoughts on that? Please answer.

No one seems to respond. Please help.

I've read all your posts on BB. It looks like you have already done a lot of research so you probably know that some people reinstate and some people don't. IMHO, it is a decision that is best left to the individual.

Sincere Best Wishes

I added more profile info. I really know nothing about my original question and would appreciate some info from knowledgeable people. Thnx

I reinstated after a month. My thoughts are less intrusive though that could be the prozac and I'm not having panic attacks where I'm screaming. I still get some anxiety and panic attacks night time is the absolute worst.

How bad is your insomnia? I think you need to give a bit more context to your situation. Reinstatement is not guaranteed to help you, and then you will need to get off the drug again and the next withdrawal could be worse. So without knowing more, I'd recommend against it.

I personally would avoid reinstatement at all costs. It's good to know that is an option if you need it, but I would try everything else possible before that: changing diet, exercise, other lifestyle changes, reducing stress.. ect.. I know that's not at all what you want to hear, but it really is the best way.

Reinstatement is a quick fix.

na-  :angel:

I added more profile info. I really know nothing about my original question and would appreciate some info from knowledgeable people. Thnx

I see in your signature that you jumped off the benzo in March 2019, and stopped other meds Elavil, beta blocker the past few months.

This means you have stopped more than one medication in 6 months. And that is a lot.

I did the same, I do not say you did something wrong - but to reinstate the benzodiazepine would not help you if you are suffering from a cocktail of other withdrawals, and I assume what you feel is just that you have stopped a benzo AND other meds.

Reinstatement for me, is for people who have tapered way to fast and then after a short period, go back on a higher dosage, try to stabilize and then contninue the taper more slowly. Reinstatement for me is not to go back on benzos after years though. Just my opinion on that!

One thing is clear, and you can see it all over the board here: Insomnia is a very common symptom in the first year, if you have stopped a benzo or another med which has calmed you down or was your sleep aid. Its chemical, your body needs to rebalance and sadly you feel that as insomnia. Its no wonder we have an own board here called "insomnia" (there you might get some good tips how to cope!).

You are very early in withdrawal and your body needs time. I always say a healthy cell in our body needs at least 3 months to recover, but we expect a body to heal from medication in the same amount of time ;)?!

I would not know how to reinstate in your shoes, by the way - would you take as much of the benzo until you sleep - and then? I assume you cannot avoid a period of bad sleep, less sleep or no sleep. I can only tell you that I have survived this period and I am having a normal sleep today, a better sleep than under medication (!) and I would never take a sleep aid again in my life even when I had insomnia for other reasons again. I do not want to loose my personality, functionaltivy, sex drive, and and and... again.

I think my opinion is clear :laugh: but its just mine, out of what I have been told by my own experience... so... I wish you the best! Cherish that you have been so brave and hey! congrats!!! Did you celebrate being benzo free? If not! Do it! :thumbsup:

It's entirely up to you. But I would leave you with this warning. Someday everybody will be forced off Benzos in my opinion. It happened to me and is happening to many many others with no consideration given to a taper schedule and told you have to get off now you have no choice or say in the matter. I was given no choice to come off, nor was I given any say over my taper schedule. If I screwed up my tapering schedule or had a couple extra pills in a month it didn't matter, I was cutting the next month regardless of how I felt. Only 1 month did I ever get a hold and my doctor didn't even want to do that. Without being forced to cut every single month, I'm probably would have gone slower if it was left up to me. Don't know if that would have been the right choice tho.

A dear friend of mine was prescribed and used benzos (valium and later xanax) since at least the 1960's. She tried to taper off of them a few times and reinstated at the advice of her doctors each time.  She lived a prosperous and happy life. She lived at her own home, caring for herself and her husband until his death a few years ago.  Two years ago she hired a full-time, in-home assistant to help her maintain her home, prepare meals, etc.

She died this past summer at the age of 95. Although I did not ask for the official cause of death from her family, I don't think it was from the use or misuse of benzos. 

It's entirely up to you. But I would leave you with this warning. Someday everybody will be forced off Benzos in my opinion. It happened to me and is happening to many many others with no consideration given to a taper schedule and told you have to get off now you have no choice or say in the matter. I was given no choice to come off, nor was I given any say over my taper schedule. If I screwed up my tapering schedule or had a couple extra pills in a month it didn't matter, I was cutting the next month regardless of how I felt. Only 1 month did I ever get a hold and my doctor didn't even want to do that. Without being forced to cut every single month, I'm probably would have gone slower if it was left up to me. Don't know if that would have been the right choice tho.

That is a good point... I seem to have forgotten the stress I had to prevent running out of pills. And I did not know the ashton protocol, I tapered way to fast. I wonder if I would have been able to taper properly..

KatyDid-

I have read your posts, and even though I’m currently going through tapering, and not finished, I would say...if it were me and already jumped from benzos, I think I would try an OTC sleep med like Benadryl or doxylamine.  Or perhaps you could talk to doc about a short-term script for a Z drug, like Ambien?  I found that I still got as much sleep by taking half an Ambien until my body/mind could begin to adjust.  I hope you are able to avoid reinstating benzos.  It just seems to prolong the process.  No matter what you do, we are here...all of us.  Please keep us updated about your decision, and how you are doing in general!  🌹

KatyDid-

I have read your posts, and even though I’m currently going through tapering, and not finished, I would say...if it were me and already jumped from benzos, I think I would try an OTC sleep med like Benadryl or doxylamine.  Or perhaps you could talk to doc about a short-term script for a Z drug, like Ambien?  I found that I still got as much sleep by taking half an Ambien until my body/mind could begin to adjust.  I hope you are able to avoid reinstating benzos.  It just seems to prolong the process.  No matter what you do, we are here...all of us.  Please keep us updated about your decision, and how you are doing in general!  🌹

No no no nooooooo! Do please not take a Z-drug. They harm as much as benzos do harm you. People, really?!! Even Ashton mentions this.

Again - no zolpidem, no zopiclone, nothing that is benzo-like.

With the opiate crisis raging full force insurance companies, doctors and pharmacists are looking hard at all controlled substances. I recall when I was on seroquel, Valium and trazodone my insurance company would hold up filling my prescriptions until they got a verbal okay from my provider. I think I got off in the nick of time. So what dag said.

@lso there is no guarantee the reinstatement will work. I know insomnia is terrible as I still get bouts of it like last night but your body will come around. If I lay bed but couldn’t sleep I get up and do something boring like read a manual on how to operate my stove and that helped. But only you know what you can tolerate.

Marigold1-

I’m sorry if I misspoke about the Z drugs.  Going by what my doc claims, the Z drugs are easier to stop taking than benzos.  He very well could be uninformed.  I apologize if I offered an unsound suggestion.  I’m still very early in the learning process.

Marigold1-

I’m sorry if I misspoke about the Z drugs.  Going by what my doc claims, the Z drugs are easier to stop taking than benzos.  He very well could be uninformed.  I apologize if I offered an unsound suggestion.  I’m still very early in the learning process.

Z drugs are as hard to taper as benzos. They "feel" very light, while benzos can make sleepy. Thats why people might have even more problems to get rid of them. Very often you also react paradoxically on these sleeping aids, when I was on zolpidem in the end the pill made me awake and I did not know what I did that night, totally confusing.

When it comes to antidepressants, neuroleptics and so on - you have to taper each med also, and - sadly- very often people react paradoxical or get into tolerance while taking them and the withdrawal is just as cruel as from benzos. That is why I will never touch any med like this again. I was given almost any drug that existed, so I would call myself and expert in agony because of benzos, ADs, z-drugs, and...and..and..

At the moment I use capsules of lavender oil, the product is called "Lasea". They calm down very well, do not make me addicted and I wished I had known them before the med disaster that happened to me.

@[La...]

Dont worry about it, your post was good.. -You just touched on a controversial topic, which is fine, as the forum is designed for others to “catch” these things, -or for others to offer their own opinions/experiences, etc..  The main value is in your/our support.. Much better than not replying due to feeling a little unsure or whateva...  IMO...

-This is why PM advice is such a no no...

:)

I reinstated diazepam after 4,5months because of muscle c fracture and got new horrific symptoms hadn’t had before including hallucinations, frenzied compulsion to eat, hyperacusis that causes terror.

Have tried to reinstate s verbal times and stuck in he’ll because of spinal/muscle stuff.

There are ppl who have reinstated and found stability but it can take a while, sometimes Es morning nths.

There are also ppl who got immediate relief and are fine.

I reinstated diazepam after 4,5months because of muscle c fracture and got new horrific symptoms hadn’t had before including hallucinations, frenzied compulsion to eat, hyperacusis that causes terror.

Have tried to reinstate s verbal times and stuck in he’ll because of spinal/muscle stuff.

There are ppl who have reinstated and found stability but it can take a while, sometimes Es morning nths.

There are also ppl who got immediate relief and are fine.

Hi Ajusta,

how are you today? Have been thinking about you lately :smitten:

Hiya,

Thanks for thinking of me.

I’m a mess. On Clonazepam now but it hardly helps muscles and causing horrific adverse effects and now trying to get off it...

Replied to another post you were on asking about your exercises?