Looking for support: South Africa

[ma...]

Hi there, I am 40 months off and have had no support in South Africa. The doctors here are clueless and dont want to understand. It has been really really hard and I am at present in a severe wave. I was on benzos for 25 years and taken off abruptly. I had the worst of worse symptoms and my hubby and daughter were my only support. Of which I am so very grateful.  I was wondering if there are others from South Africa that have come off Benzos?  Sometimes I feel these symptoms are never going to end.

Thanks so much  :)

edit: added detail to title

I’m sorry that you are having a difficult time. It is hard to find support in many places including the  U.S. If I lived there, I would be your friend. Just keep reading the posts of healed persons and BELIEVE that you can be healed in time.

• 1 month later...

Fellow South African here, stumbled across your post looking for a numbness/ weakness support group....

Shucks 40 months and still struggling, I'm so sorry.. I've only just started quitting valium, really having a hard time here.

Most people, doctors don't get it. My Gp wants to cut my dose in half and I now don't have medical aid or a prescription.

Went to a rehab/psych ward a while back and they took me off valium in 3 days. it sucked.

I somehow managed to find and speak to a government hospital psychiatrist about 2 weeks ago. I dislike shrinks but this one kind of gets it and its free, also just cut my dose in half, also wants to send me to rehab as I'm a recovering addict, but I've been clean for a long time except for the benzos, which the psychiatrists colleagues prescribed to me for anxiety.( people say there are good shrinks, yet to find one) Out of all the drugs, I can honestly say benzos are by far the worst, its truly a crime that they're legal.

I refuse to go to rehab, I don't see sense in it, been there done that, refuse to let anyone make those choices for me if I can help it. and now I'm probably at risk of losing the support and prescription if I don't agree to jump through their "hoops"

I have an appointment in 3 weeks again, which I'm very reluctant to do, and I have about 38 or so 5mg pills which I'll be taking once a week or whenever withdrawals become too intense/ as needed. It may be the last time I ever get my hands on any. I hate the stuff, and I want it out of my life asap even if I go through hell to do it.