Remeron

[8a...]

[8a...]

I've been taking Remeron for a month due to a psych ward visit.  Do I need to do a long 10% each month taper off of it?

Yes. You may be able to tolerate a faster taper because of your short exposure but if you decide not to taper and it backfires you can’t really reverse the results. Even if it turns out to be a waste of time for you there is no harm in a relatively quick symptomless taper if it is in the cards for you. You can test the waters by making a 10 percent cut and then see if anything happens.

[8a...]

Well, right now it's making my OCD worse.  I get completely restless when I take it.  Can't stop eating and extremely vivid nightmares

I was thinking of starting Remeron for a long time but mostly because my sleep went to hell. Now my sleep is coming back with nothing again and I'm still suffering bad mental symptoms. But the more I read about Remeron on this forum, it seems like it has only helped a couple people and for the most part makes people worse.

My wife took remeron early in her taper for several months and it helped with sleep and didn’t increase benzo symptoms, but she gained weight on it as some people do.  She tapered off of it during her taper in three weeks and had no trouble with the taper.  I’m not saying that some unfortunate people don’t have withdrawal symptoms from Remeron discrimination, I believe them. 

[8a...]

The Greek - nothing works for benzo withdrawal.  For those who say it works they aren't even in withdrawal and just have depression or anxiety. 

Get off all drugs and do a long slow taper.  There are no shortcuts to this.

I disagree. It is true that Remeron does not stop benzo withdrawal. However, if your two biggest symptoms are insomnia and nausea to the point where you can’t eat and are literally dying of starvation. I was losing 1 lb per day. I would have been dead in a few more months at best. I got zero food.down for 8 straight weeks with no end in sight. Remeron stopped the nausea which zofran couldn’t even touch and I have slept 8 hours a night since the Remeron. It did absolutely nothing for my other symptoms though. I truly believe I would have died of starvation if it wasn’t for Remeron. I regained 35 lbs in just a few months on it.

[8a...]
Yes. Besides what remeron is designed for (sleep and appetite stimulation) it won't help with the severity anxiety, depression, and OCD).

[8a...]
Jack37.  Would you be willing to share with me your calculations on how you are getting off remeron?  I'm trying to figure it out but my benzo brain won't allow it.

I am on liquid. The liquid is mixed by a compound pharmacist. The mixture is 15 mg of mirtazapine per 5 ml of solution. So I started out with 5 ml on a 5 ml syringe. There are 25 marks on a 5 ml syringe. 15 divided by 25 lines is .6 mg of Mirtazapine per line on the syringe. I drop my dosage by half of a line on the syringe every 3-4 days. This is a .3 mg reduction in dose on every Sunday and wednesday. I am currently holding at 11.4 mg because I have a wedding this coming weekend and wanted to stabilize for it. I am currently stable. I will continue cutting on Sunday night after the wedding and will try not to pause again until I have reached 7.5 mg. I might slow down a little. I have set a soft goal of 7.5 mg by New Years. I could cut once a week and probably still reach this goal.

Is there any psychotropic medication that is more benign and not as dangerous ?

Remeron is definitely one of the "most benign and least "dangerous" psych meds.

Yes. Besides what remeron is designed for (sleep and appetite stimulation) it won't help with the severity anxiety, depression, and OCD).

It sure did for me!

Remeron is a powerful AD.anxiolytic, as effective, or more effective, than SSRIs, with a safer profile.

After a series of trials with about 6 different psych med, some just ineffective, some disaterous, Remeron worked very well, few side fxs, and very easy discontinuation.

Builder - Didn't you take and discontinue remeron before the benzo stuff?

I took remeron while I was still on diazepam.  I stopped remeron before I started my benzo taper, because I knew it would be much easier to withdraw from.

i have currently restarted remeron 15 for sleep and its not helping. only been on it about a week. not getting any rest. what do you think? i dont know what to do.

Take less. 15 mg is not the optimal dose for sleep. 7.5 mg would be more sedating or maybe even 3.75 mg. Heck, some people are knocked out by 1 mg.

Take less. 15 mg is not the optimal dose for sleep. 7.5 mg would be more sedating or maybe even 3.75 mg. Heck, some people are knocked out by 1 mg.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Is there any psychotropic medication that is more benign and not as dangerous ?

Remeron is definitely one of the "most benign and least "dangerous" psych meds.

:smitten::thumbsup:

I took Remeron ranging from 15 to 45 mgs.  At low doses it really helped me sleep over the course of 6 months, but made me somnolent the next day (and extremely hungry).  At higher doses I found it useless.  Even then, eventually the low dose sleep finally wore off.  I eventually quit cold turkey with no symptoms, but I was on so many psychiatric drugs at the time that my body probably didn't event notice.