Weight Gain or Weight Loss During Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

Hi.  I've read on a few threads that many buddies are being impacted by weight gain or weight loss during withdrawal and could use some support whether still withdrawing from a taper or post benzo taper.

I've had this problem in the last year myself.  During taper, I lost weight just from a revved up system. At the end of my taper and post taper, I gained weight and a few months later was surprised to see that my blood pressure was the highest it ever was and I had a minor panic incident with palpitations.  My doctor advised a beta blocker but I elected to exercise and eat healthier.   I was able thus far to reduce the blood pressure after a couple weeks of watching my lifestyle but I still have some further work to do with my health.  It seems that many folks may be suffering a variety of side effects that they may attribute to benzo withdrawal but may also be related to the weight they have rapidly lost or gained.  For example, excess insulin can cause heart problems, hypoglycemia, over active adrenal glands and anxiety, chronic fatigue, depression, inflammation and increase in blood pressure as mentioned above to name just some factors.  Also, one can have more anxiety from eating too many sugary foods or consuming too much caffeine or chocolate that has caffeine in it.  Do any of you out there experience these symptoms?

After reading more on the subject of adrenal burnout in some nutrition and diet books, I came across a chapter about insulin resistance and pre diabetes, supposedly millions of people have insulin resistance and don't even know it, despite maybe having a normal fasting glucose test at the annual check up at the doctor.   I now suspect that the anxiety I had before benzos and now after benzos may be related to this insulin problem I've struggled with most of my life.  Sugar and caffeine really rev my system up.  I've been trying to reduce sugar and refined white flour from my diet the last three weeks and find myself feeling better at times but also depressed.  Yet the anxiety seems to be less than it was on most days, but sometimes it has returned on busy mornings.  I'm wondering if anyone has experienced more anxiety or blues either during withdrawal or post benzo relating to weight gain or loss?    In other words, has anyone gained weight or lost weight during tapering or after the taper and how has it impacted you?  Any advice?  

Thanks,

Vertigo (and sugary treats no more :laugh:)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [Da...]

• [Su...]

• [pa...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi V!

You have hit upon some good points as the human body is so interconnected! Weight gain has not been a major issue for me, however, the dietary changes that you are making (plus lifestyle changes like excercise) are going to have a really positive impact on your health and well being!

When I was in my 20's I suffered through some severe anxiety problems... part of my problem was my diet. I was a manager at a pizza restaurant, and I regularly ate my meals there. Also, I drank soda regularly and ate lots of other fast food at other places. Although I had grown up quite thin, I suddenly found myself becoming over weight. I soon went from weighing 165 lbs to about 215 or 220. Also, the smoke filled environments I frequented didn't help my health either and neither did the beer drinking. I remember that eventually I ended up working at a job that required a lot of physical labor. This really helped me to scale my weight back down to what it used to be. Also, I stopped eating fast food as much and started to learn to cook recipies at home. After making these kinds of lifestyle changes (plus a few others), I found myself feeling so much better than I had before when I was overweight and not eating as well. Although weight has not been an issue for me during benzo w/d, I can certainly understand how these kinds of issues can impact someone during and post taper.

Also, nutrition is a huge importance to my wife's side of the family. There are some health issues that run there such as hypoglycemia, collitus, lactose intollerance and stomach ulcers. My in-laws have studied nutrition for many years and they have been on a low blood sugar rotation diet regularly. My mother-in-law in particular has been advising me about dietary changes that can help during the course of my w/d. Most of these you have listed and I will say that the conclusions you have reached about refined sugars, glycemic effects on the blood stream, insulin resistance, depression, etc, are very much the same as coming from what my in-laws have learned and practiced over the years. In fact, I will say that often times, when I was (or still am), hit with certain symptoms, my mother in law will usually try to jog my memory as to what have I been eating the last few days and to try to avoid certain kinds of foods to see if I notice any improvements. One thing I have learned is to not overload my stomach with food before going to bed, if I expect to get a good nights sleep! Also, I don't drink any coffee after 12:00, because I know that if I do, I may be to wired to get to sleep at night. As of now, my biggest vice is probably coffee with sugar added. I do notice a pick me up after drinking 2 cups and then later a crash afterwards. I would probably do so much better in the long run, if I would stop using coffee and sugar. Right now, I'm finishing up a remeron taper, so I don't want to do any other tapering from caffeine until my body can free itself completely from medication. Also, the physical excerecise (walking and excercise bike) has been a real plus in getting me through life both pre and post benzo and I highly recommend it! Getting the blood flowing to the brain and through the body helps to create well being and stamina and is one of the best mood inhancers I know!

Great post, V, and I hope that more members will comment and provide some feedback!

Hi, I gained 20 lbs in January.  Four weeks.  At that time, my cortisol took a dive, thyroid too.  These self corrected, but the weight is still there.  Doesnt matter what I eat.  Could be nothing but rabbitt food, or a ton of twinkies.  No doc is willing to put the pieces together.  I dont know how.  I can tell you I have been a skinny minny for years. Excercise is great, but for me, not possible.  I can barely walk, due to burning pain, and throbbing pain in my legs.  Seems to start from the bone.  Excruciating.  I have gone from  a runner to a cripple.  Good luck you guys.

Hi Star.  Is it possible to lift some light hand weights a couple times a week? By doing so, you might get your metabolism up enough to lose the pounds.  Check out the book "Protein Power".  Maybe it'll help.  Of course, always consult with your doctor before beginning an exercise program...  The thyroid is tricky.  Sounds like you have some overactive adrenal system?  Sorry to hear about your leg pain.  I hope you find some answers.

Thanks Pange for your reply. Sounds like you are well aware like me about over carbing it and the soda too, the super sizing... uggh.  Fortunately, I learned over ten years ago that my system did not agree with beer. I recently read that some people get addicted to beer not necessarily because of the alcohol but because of certain carbs/grains in the beer.  I also noticed a long time ago that my reflux came back when I drank too much soda or even small amounts so I've eliminated soda from my life now.  I agree not to overload the body with food before bed, another no no for gastro trouble.  I try not to eat two hours before sleep too.  I also agree it makes sense not to add the coffee taper right now but maybe you will find a way to replace it later on maybe with green tea which has many antioxidant properties.  Also, you might look into stevia if you can't or don't wish to eliminate the sugar?  I think it is a sweetener you can get at a health food store that could be better than the sugar.  Also, I've been reading that its not just about weight but tone.  One can be thin but have pre diabetes and/or insulin problems too, although being skinny is not my current problem :laugh:.

Hey Mike.  I hear ya about the bread.  It sure tastes good especially hot french bread at a restaurant. Unfortunately, after a sugar high, for me anyway, I come crashing down with fatigue after a meal.  I'm not eating much bread right now but if I do, it's got lots of fiber and whole grain, will see how it goes with Labor Day weekend with the usual bbq type issues...

Best wishes,

V (and pizza and buns no more :laugh:)

Hi again V!

You had asked a question about our diet in my blog so I wanted to answer that here.

My wife tries to avoid prepared foods as much as possible. Of course, we sometimes buy things like canned spaghetti sauce, etc, (especially when we're trying to make food stretch for the week), but she always reads food labels. She tries to buy brands that have the least amount of chemicals and additives as possible. I've heard a rule said that if you can't pronounce what's on the can, it's probably not good for you! A big one that my wife avoids is high fructose corn syrup. I have heard that that product was dumped on the market back in the late 60's (right at the time I was a toddler), and was a cheap substitute for a food preservative/sweetner. Unfortunatley, it is not good for the body because it is highly concentrated. It is put in almost every prepared food including snacks and this probably accounts for the increase in obesity in children (together with an increase in TV watching/computer usage/lack of excercising) that has come about over the last 40 years.

Another one that my wife tries to avoid is nitatres. Sometimes we buy hot dogs but we always try to find the beef ones that are nitrate free. A local market we have hear called Fred Meyer usually has some good deals on products like these.

My wife will prepare most of the foods we eat from scratch (she was fortunate to be at home for many years until recently so she had more time to do this), and she will use whole grain flours in cooking. She also avoids refined products and cereals that are fortified rather than offering the vitamins/minerals from the whole grains. Barbaras and Cascade Farms are 2 brands that offer some good tasting cereals that are whole grain and organic.

We also have our own garden and during the summer we get yummy blueberries, tomatoes, and rasberries. This year was a great year for growing lettuce and spinach! When shopping for lettuce at the store, my wife will buy the ones that have the most colors. She usually doesn't buy the iceberg unless we're using it for a special recipie or condiment.

My wife had a really good start in life with nutrition because her parents we're so knowledgeble about it. There are of course changes that we may have to make to our diets as we get older. We still buy table sugar. My wife buy the kinds that are least processed. This type of sugar is called evaporated organic cane juice. Perhaps we are getting some minerals from that, but it's still concentrated sugar. Also, I'm still a coffe drinker and I've noticed my coffee consumption going up a bit since withdrawing from the remeron. I drink about a 3/4 glass of dry red wine in the evenings. I don't usually have any problems drinking a red wine like that even during w/d. There was a time though when my A/D medication was out of balance with the benzo I was taking and I didn't dare drink anything. This went on for about 4 months and unfortunatley coincided with the holiday season. I simply had no desire to even want to consume alcohol at that time.

Anyway, that's our diet in a nutshell. A big thumbs up to you, V, for being so diet/excercise conscious and taking the time to start this thread! :thumbsup:

Hey Pange.  Thanks for the info about your diet and your wife's diet.  I have been reading about the poisonous trans fats and HFCS (High fructose corn syrup) recently.  Yes, we must try to limit or eliminate those as much as possible, but so tough to do if one is still eating packaged processed foods in America.    That is so cool that you grow your own fruits and vegetables.  I try to buy fresh and local here at a farmers market and fresh market.  Sometimes we get really good produce, other times not so much.  I noticed that the organic celery at Whole Foods was not very tasty the last time we got it there though.  Those blueberries and raspberries you grow are full of phytonutrients and antioxidents as well as fiber :thumbsup:.  They say a glass of red wine can be heart healthy too so enjoy!   I am currently abstaining again but look forward to the day that I can have a taste.  I've got about 15 pounds to lose before I do ;).  By the way, I recently read that low fat, non fat and even sugar free cookies can be just as bad as the regular ones.  The white flour that they are made from will spike your blood sugar and send it through the roof, not to mention partially hydrogenated oils, uggh. Ah, to live is to learn.  

Have a great Labor Day weeekend,

Vertigo (and cookies of all kinds no more ;))

Benzo belly bloating is pretty common Djdonee.  I feel your pain.  Before I started this diet 3 weeks ago, I looked like I could be with child ;D.  Still have a small bowling ball to contend with :idiot:.  Maybe it's more like a volleyball or even a junior soccer ball :laugh:.

V

I've gained a lot of weight since starting my taper in February and i would like to know if this is a usual side effect of withdrawal. 

I know I'm not moving around as much as I used to because I have so much pain, also agoraphobia that makes it harder to get myself out of the house.  That probably accounts for a lot of it.  I eat a pretty good diet.

Anyway, I'd like to know more about this--I hear people talk about Benzo Belly so I think it must be kind of common--but it's crazy, I haven't gained this much weight this fast since I was pregnant!  I can't help thinking it must be at least partly the withdrawal.

Hi Prhiannon.  I have also read about benzo belly during withdrawal.  It seems to not be uncommon.  I don't know the reason for it but can speculate.  If withdrawal makes one depressed at times, this can either curb or increase appetite.  It seems that stress causes a release in stress hormones (cortisol and adrenalin) which then can impact appetite and other functions.  Yes, agoraphobia can keep one indoors and maybe more of a sedentary life.  If you can afford to get some kind of exercise bike or treadmill to do at home, maybe that could help?  How far are you on your taper and what benzo and how much now?  Do you know how to make your signature at the bottom of your posts?  It would helpful to see where you are in your taper.  Well, glad you are eating a good diet.  Healthy foods can only help and eating a lot of sugary junk food can lead to ill health in my view.  Also, if one is taking an anti depressants, these can also cause one to gain weight.

Best wishes,

Vertigo (no more)

Hiya Vertigo,

I lost about 90 pounds in the last year..before anyone gets excited thinking Im a skeleton let me add that it is the 90 pounds I gained over 7 years of clonazepam use so I am now at my pre benzo mess weight.

I didnt have a complicated plan it came down to reversing the behaviours that got me into the shape I was in. My diet changed completely..very little red meat, loads of fruit and veggies..never processed or take out foods..there are foods such as avaocado I eat every day..I loved soda pop so that went first and I replaced it with low sodium club soda with a squeeze of lemon which fools my tastebuds into thinking It's sugar filled soda.

How did the 90 pounds get put on? Well it was my own poor choices combined with laziness and being in a clonazepam zombie state for such a long time didnt help..so last fall when I started to taper I joined a gym..hired a trainer for a few lessons to give me an idea of how to do it and then I stuck with it..it gave me something other then my tapering misery to focus on and in the beginning my workouts were ultra light until I was able to build up strength and endurance..I really believe that the change in my activity level and diet were a HUGE part of my recovery.I now jog or power walk 5k pretty much daily.

I do believe we may be more likely to gain weight through this process as it may make us want to confine ourselves or limit activity..especially if insomnia or panic attacks are present..the same holds true always when it comes to health..you are what you eat...even a short walk can make a difference..if we are able to get enough excercise to release those lovely endorphines it has a great physical as well as emotional payoff.

Anyway I love this thread...cheers,

Jacqueline

Hi Serene.  That's awesome that you were able to lose all that weight and get back to your "pre benzo" condition :thumbsup:. I liked your strategy to eliminate soda.  There's also a very low sugar carbonated drink in the stores I think called La Croix and comes in many flavors, also available at Costco.  I don't even drink that anymore but we do let our son drink it from time to time when he asks for sprite or coke.  I love avocado and artichokes too :).  Yesterday was the start of foodball season and we had an artichoke instead of chips and dip.  It takes a long time to eat and is something healthy :yippee:.  My wife made a healthy dip to go with the artichoke with Greek yogurt, garlic and a few other ingredients.  My son had a pizza but I really did not crave it.  

Glad to hear a success story with exercise Jacqueline.  Do you find that your klon zombie state has gone away through consistent healthier eating and exercise?  I find that I still sometimes feel a little hazy but then I've still got about 10-15 pounds to take off and have not completely eliminated all sugars from my diet, but close!.  I find that if I go up to bed earlier and get away from the kitchen, I can avoid a night time snack and might even pick up an extra hour of sleep which is a good thing!

Best wishes,

V (no more)

Hi V,

Before I became physically active again I was very sluggish...even the shortest walks were tedious..I dreaded moving!! I hated exercise and getting back to the gym was a decision I pondered for a long time without taking any action...seems like the only time I would be bothered by my weight gain was when I had to go buy a new wardrobe to replace the one I had bulged out of.

Benzos were my motivation...when I had moments if clarity I saw myself for what I had become..a bloated shell of a person...so I think my logic was I needed to work on all of the mess..I saw the weight as a benzo symptom..a testament to what I shouldnt be..and that finally got me moving.

There have been times during my taper where I could not have worked out..some pretty brutal days..but even on bad days I would walk..often very slowly..I maybe burned 20 calories but I had a feeling that I had accomplished something and continued..I would say that I have way more strength and stamina now then I have had in many years...even before benzos..the zombie state is no more.

Not eating at night is key..after dinner here we may have a snack..usually a piece of fruit..up to 7pm...no snacks after that..it was hard to get used to..change usually is...but now its second nature..and the great thing is that it has filtered down to my 7 year old daughter who is learning the benefits of healthy eating.

Jacqueline

Hi Jacqueline.  I know what you mean by sluggish :pokey:;D.   I've never been more than about 25 pounds overweight but sluggish is a good word to describe the low energy levels when one is carrying extra weight.  I think its also the extra insulin and other systems that are working too hard, the stress on the pancreas, kidneys, liver and heart... I eventually started taking prilosec for heartburn and a statin medication about two years ago to keep the cholesterol in check.  I hope to taper off the prilosec next and eventually maybe look at reducing or eliminating the statin.  My father has a history of heart bipass surgeries and elevated cholesterol and my brother has high blood pressure and high cholesterol so my doctor thought the family history was good reason to take the statin.  It seems to be working ok, still need to raise my HDL "good cholesterol" which I think the diet and exercise should take care of.  

I agree that it takes some getting used to, to not have snacks at night or to be snacking on chips mindlessly during a football game.  I read in one book that if one is going to have dessert, best to have it after the main meal to slow down the sugar with hopefully slower moving complex carbs and protein.  Another book said to finish eating whatever you're eating within one hour. So I even have my fruit right after my dinner now and try not to have anything past 8PM.  I was trying to eat a little potato with skin about half an hour before bed (ala the Potatoes Not Prozac book") but I think it was slowing down my weight  loss program.  That's terrific that your daughter is now benefiting from your healthy lifestyle.  My son is getting annoyed with my wife and I eating low carbs all the time.  We've been focusing more on making sure he gets more fiber and protein with each meal too.  He's always been pretty good about eating fruit and some veggies, but he's definitely inherited the sweet tooth from me and his grandparents.  I've informed him that twice a week he will be eating a hard boiled egg white for breakfast before school with whatever else (cereal or toast he chooses).  He's resisting but he did admit that he did not feel as hungry a couple hours after school started on the day he ate the egg.  He won't eat any other egg but hard boiled and still won't eat the yoke which is fine with me.

I agree that just moving even for a a short walk is better than sedentary on the couch.   Well, I'm starting to regain my clarity but still have some moments of sluggishness, sometimes a few hours after exercise or after climbing the stairs to fold laundry.   I think I will start to feel more energy once I take off another 12-15 pounds, hopefully before Thanksgiving!

Vertigo

Hey Vert, I would like to add, as an addendum (duh, mr o'reilly would get me on that one) that when I cold turkeyed in 06, I LOST around 25 pounds.  I lasted about 4 months in ct, too horrible to discuss, but looking back, if I had had these forums, I would have made it.  So, to conclude, we are all so very different.  Lots of benzo receptors in the gut.  I no longer have benzo belly, I am just plain old FAT.  STAR 

Hi Star.   You'll always be a benzo patriot, not a benzo pinhead in my booko :pokey::laugh:.  I also lost a lot of weight during my taper, so much adrenalin and angst.  You're right, so many benzo receptors in the gut.  That's one reason I really want to taper off prilosec next but only after I've taken off another 10 pounds, maybe by October.  You're not fat and neither am I Star, maybe just pleasantly plump :D:).

Don't be a Nimrod ;),

V

Hi V and stardust!

Just thought I'd add some more thoughts to the post.

I metioned before that I didn't have weight gain during the benzo taper (or post benzo), however, I did notice some weight gain (about 10-15 lbs) after I strarted using remeron back in 2006. That medication seemed to increase my sweetooth for snacks in the evening and it was when my belt got too tight that I realized that my weight was creaping up. I am wondering if A/Ds cause an increase in appetite?

Also, there is another problem I've been facing post benzo. I posted this elsewhere on the forum but I seem to have some problems with leg swelling. Some of it is due to some vein swelling that occured over time due to wearing cheap boots and having a job standing in one spot for long periods of time. Fortunatley, I have a different job now where I move around more. Also, I am no longer wearing high cut boots. Instead, I found some very comfortable ones that are just like regular shoes but are skid resistant. Walking in those is like walking on clouds, that's how comfortable they are! Anyway, aside from work related stress, I am wondering if anyone else has had to deal with leg swelling during benzo use or post benzo and if they know what causes this. Does benzo use make one more suseptible to this kind of problem? In some cases, I can see on my legs where some vein swelling has occured. I had a doctor look at this the other day and he assured me it wasn't that bad. But, I continue to get what feels like swelling in my leg in areas with no physical signs, sort of a phantom swelling! Have any of you experienced this also? Swelling seems to have some correlation to weight gain so I figured this would be a good blog to address this kind of concern... Hopefully, with continued excercise and taking care of myself, this problem will fade!

Hi vertigo, I have been following your post. Iam a certified personal fitness instructor since Jan-2009,  Iam in school currently away from home with no car, Iam a full time student. When I go to the store I buy as cheap as I can because of government loans in such, so my diet is brown rice, beans, chicken, frozen veggies and fruits, whole grain cereals skim milk. I cheat when I can because that same meal plan gets friggin old after 6months straight.

I was instructing for about a year, before I lost control over myself do to alcohol abuse and decided I would take a break from work and use of my free government funding for school, so I quit drinking and  now Iam in school.

Enough about me though, I found it often very frustrating when I was working with some clients trying to cut fat.  I could always help there blood pressure go down it seemed and cholesterol, but it seemed like no matter what I did I couldnt get them close enough to there target weight goals in a timely manner. No matter how much a studied weight loss techniques and the science side of it and try to apply it to them, it wasnt working out for them. I started to realize there was a lot I didnt understand as far as medical health science goes, it is not my major by no means. There are just so many many things that can effect peoples weight and metabolism it could take me years to help just one client. I would have to know everything about them, In and out of the gym and know  all there medical conditions, behaviors, diet all that stuff. I mean I dont know what these people are really doing outside the gym and how much there sharing with me is true or accurate.

One Important thing I wanted to share that I didnt see anyone talk about. Is the time you are exercising, doing it before or after meals is very important, If I want to gain weight and muscle mass I eat 30 minutes to an hour before I go to the gym. When I do this I can push up more weight for longer periods of time do to my body has glucose ready to burn for high energy intense workouts. Simply the opposite applies when Iam cutting weight, The best thing is to get up early and exercise 30 mins before I eat, this way I know Iam burning fat and not sugars. And is really a great way to get your day started and It seems rough at first, but it gets better. I will continue to apply that  to any of my work outs through out the day, exercise first then eat afterwards(when cutting this is almost always a cardio routine). If I want to lift weights while cutting , I only do lighter weights with higher reps 12-15 in a set. The more you can exercise like this the more fat you will cut!

This is all very generalized information and use myself as an example because legally I cant give professional advice over the web to a specific person. I think it is great you all are keeping your selves well informed about dieting and exercising because nobody knows you like you! I hope the ideas help and I will keep an eye on this post for any question I might be able to help with- Dagaz  :thumbsup: 

I also have another post you all might be ineterested in started by Nuala "Delayed anxiety and other wierd things after exercise" if anyone has Anxiety during, after, or before exercise its a good post to look at so check it out! :thumbsup:

Thanks for stopping by Dagaz.  I know what you mean about a meal plan getting old.  It sounds like you are doing a great job of staying healthy while at school on a budget.  You made some excellent points about how each individual has unique metabolism and medical history. I agree that on a forum, one can not know what is right for another individual in terms of their ability to exercise and so forth.  In terms of exercising in the morning before eating, I personally like to do that but a word of caution, mornings are apparently statistically when more strokes and heart attacks occur!   Also, some folks who may have blood sugar issues or hypoglycemia may not be advised to engage in serious exercise without eating something first or having something on hand with sugar in it nearby.

Anyone who has moderate health problems or overweight should probably consult with their physician before starting exercise program and start gradually.  In my case, I started the first couple weeks just walking with no weight lifting.  Then I added some time on my exercise bike at a faster pace but I was able to monitor my heart rate on the machine.  I did not wish to exceed about 115 to 120 heart rate for the first week or two.  Now I am comfortable with pushing it to 130 for five or ten minutes of my 30 minute work outs.  I recently added light weight lifting every other day.  It's been a month since I started my proram and have lost about 8-9 pounds depending on which day I get on the scale ;D.  I've been eating a moderately low carb diet (mostly fruits and vegetables, nuts but very little bread and no pasta or rice or sweets like cookies and cake) , trying not to just eliminate all carbs because I don't want to have a crash in mood since I've read that one needs some carbs (preferably slow complex ones) for serotonin production.  I'm not a nutritionist, just going by what I've read.  I may do a couple weeks of lower carbs if I plateau and don't lose another five pounds in the next two weeks.  My goal is to lose about 25 total pounds over about 3-4 months. I've just completed my first month.

By the way, what do you think about what they write in Protein Power about growth hormone being released after exercise/weight lifting and thus, they say not to eat any carbs for one hour after you exercise if you want to build muscle and lose weight?

Chat soon,

V

Hey V, yes Ty for touching up on seeing your doctor first that is utmost important before starting a regimen if your unsure about your condition. :thumbsup:

And I like your plan V you should be able to do 25 pounds in 3-4 months, and very smart training your cardio and heart rate before you hit the weights. For me its something I find I have to do if I haven’t hit the gym in a while, start with cardio for about the first week then slowly start back on the weights or I will get lightheaded real easy when I lift. Im going to paste something here for you about HGH(human growth hormone) instead of trying to explain it myself, but it pretty much covers HGH, Just remember it mostly about or circadian rhythm(24hour human life cycle)which effects HGH and not so much or diet. sleep and exercise being the most important factors in it. And it touches on how we exercise effects it as well as age and gender.

Human growth hormone (hGH) is secreted in a pulsatile fashion, generally following a circadian rhythm. A number of physiological stimuli can initiate hGH secretion, the most powerful, non-pharmacological of which are sleep and exercise. hGH has many varied roles throughout life, from growth itself, including the turnover of muscle, bone and collagen, to the regulation of selective aspects of metabolic function including increased fat metabolism and the maintenance of a healthier body composition in later life. The exercise-induced growth hormone response (EIGR) is well recognised and although the exact mechanisms remain elusive, a number of candidates have been implicated. These include neural input, direct stimulation by catecholamines, lactate and or nitric oxide, and changes in acid-base balance. Of these, the best candidates appear to be afferent stimulation, nitric oxide and lactate. Resistance training results in a significant EIGR. Evidence suggests that load and frequency are determining factors in the regulation of hGH secretion. Despite the significant EIGR induced by resistance training, much of the stimulus for protein synthesis has been attributed to insulin-like growth factor-1 with modest contributions from the hGH-GH receptor interaction on the cell membrane. The EIGR to endurance exercise is associated with the intensity, duration, frequency and mode of endurance exercise. A number of studies have suggested an intensity 'threshold' exists for EIGR. An exercise intensity above lactate threshold and for a minimum of 10 minutes appears to elicit the greatest stimulus to the secretion of hGH. Exercise training above the lactate threshold may amplify the pulsatile release of hGH at rest, increasing 24-hour hGH secretion. The impact of chronic exercise training on the EIGR remains equivocal. Recent evidence suggests that endurance training results in decreased resting hGH and a blunted EIGR, which may be linked to an increased tissue sensitivity to hGH. While the potential ergogenic effects of exogenous GH administration are attractive to some athletes, the abuse of GH has been associated with a number of pathologies. Identification of a training programme that will optimise the EIGR may present a viable alternative. Ageing is often associated with a progressive decrease in the volume and, especially, the intensity of exercise. A growing body of evidence suggests that higher intensity exercise is effective in eliciting beneficial health, well-being and training outcomes. In a great many cases, the impact of some of the deleterious effects of ageing could be reduced if exercise focused on promoting the EIGR. This review examines the current knowledge and proposed mechanisms for the EIGR, the physiological consequences of endurance, strength and power training on the EIGR and its potential effects in elderly populations, including the aged athlete

Ok, about post workout recovery and weight loss, eating protein right after working out is best for recovery but we cant just cut out or carbs completely because glycogen aids in our recovery as well. I don’t really believe in a 1 hour rule or anything personally. But for me it works out close enough to that because I drink protein drinks at the gym right after workouts, sometimes while im working out a little bit then chug the rest when Im finished. Then by the time I get home and prepare myself something to eat its coming up at 1 hour mark anyway. This is where I start looking at my ratios, for a morning workout I don’t work out too hard anyways just cardio. I eat whole grain cereal with some milk and fruit, mostly carbs yes but Iam about to get my day started and will be burning my calories through out the day. At lunch ill do a light lunch with maybe like a 3-1 ratio(3g of carbs to 1gprotein)

because I know I have more of the day to go but dont need all carbs.  So 1hour or no hour it shouldn’t matter that much as long as you have your ratios down right. 

In the evening Ill work out before I eat(if I were cutting fat) and this is usually my more intense workout, my post recovering for this I eat a lot of protein but my ratio is still 2-1 maybe 1-1 depending on what I do, Its because I don’tt need the energy after Im done because Iam at home relaxing doing a little homework and getting ready to sleep.

But if I’m trying to build mass the ratios change to a lot higher carbs because I need the glycogen for even faster recovery. I would also be doing more resistance training which you breaks down muscle tissues more so I need that fast recovery. Cardio and light resistance shouldn’t break you down as bad.

Body builders also separate there mass building and cutting cycles so they don’t confuse muscle weight with body fat weight. And really its just easier to do this way, bulk up then cut there weight. While there cutting though its np to keep there current mass by keeping there reps up high while lifting.

But everyone is an individual so ratios have to be tweaked.  Its harder to cut than gain for most people, From what I read though it seems like your doing a great job eating enough carbs so u don’t crash. And another simple key goal for everyone is don’t eat more than you need to sustain yourself. I have my own body down to a science I know what I need when I need it. It takes time to learn it, and its a lot easier to learn if you stay on a very consistent routine while making small adjustments. But once you get it down its very easy to do and you will feel great! Keep it going Vertigo and everyone, You can do it!

Remember how you feel is more important than how you look!

I'm reading this thread in amazement.  A few months ago I lost my appetite entirely and lost about 40 lbs in two months.  Lately, however, I cannot seem to get enough food in me. I'm hungry ALL the time - even 30 minutes after I eat (no matter what I eat).  The only other time I felt this hungry was when I was on antidepressants (years ago) so I've been convinced it's my altered brain chemistry (and hopefully getting back to normal).  

I know enough about diet and nutrition to know that that 40lbs I lost was a lot of muscle and a little bit of fat. So now I'm weak, sluggish and flabby, my legs feel like they weigh a ton and I'm not eating well - just eating a lot -- and gaining again. 

Also a  good to think about fitness is not to train to get where you want next month, but make fitness goals where you want to be at the end of 1year. people often make the mistake of setting really hard to reach goals in short periods of time and then dint reach them. I use to make the same mistake and hold my expectations of myself to high and get discouraged when I didn't meet them. Everyday is a new day while exercising, sometimes you preform poorly and feel weak, and sometimes you feel strong and love it. And its necessary for your mind,body,and spirit to healthy plus it gets easier. Just remember Consistency and routine is the key :thumbsup:

Kendra1968, it could very well be that your brain chemistry has changed alot because of the drugs. Just try to slowly increase your activity level and get that heart rate up there if your comfortable with that. I dont know much about your physical conditioning, but are you making an effort to exercise and diet? Sometimes it tough also to get are bodies into the routine we want becuase they grow accustomed to our habits, If you feel like your eating habits are bad you must make the effort to try to change that. :)