REHAB CENTER FORCED COLD-TURKEY W/D FROM 6MG XANAX - SHOULD RE-INSTATE??

[me...]

Hi!

My sister was taking 2-6mg of Xanax per day for years. She went to rehab this month to detox but they took her off Xanax cold turkey and gave her Librium (long-acting benzo) and Keppra (anti-convulsant). The switched her immediately from Xanax to Librium. Then took her off Librium cold-turkey after only 1 WEEK! Then they kicked her out because insurance stopped paying.

She is at 12 days cold-turkey and in absolute misery and hell. Should she re-instate? If so, with what drug and what dosage??We cannot find a benzo-wise doctor anywhere in Kansas or Missouri. I am so scared for my sister, please help.

Thank you!

Yes, absolutely reinstate ASAP.  As far as what drug and dosage to go back on, what does she have on hand?  I'd make a guess at 2 mg Xanax but I'm not a Rx expert.  I hope one will come along right away.

Give her my sincere empathy for what she's had to endure please.

Hello melissa,

I'm so sorry this has happened to your sister. Having gone through a cold turkey from much lower doses (for a medical procedure), I know just how brutal it can be.

If it were me I would reinstate.  The goal is to find the lowest possible dose that alleviates some of the symptoms.  Once stable, a slow taper would be advised. 

Can you obtain enough medication for your sister to taper slowly?

Let us know so we can help.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Personally I would. However I am not sure about reinstating to Xanax. I tried to direct taper from Xanax and it was impossible for me. The hospital did the same to me and cold turkeyed me off Xanax and switched me straight to Ativan. It was HELL. They then tapered me off of Ativan over 5 days. They recognized the mistake and released me into outpatient care with a prescription for Ativan which they said is something they generally do not do. I had a lot of support from outside the hospital going to bat for me. I tapered off of the Ativan very quickly over about 5 or 6 weeks. I was not forced to do so this was my choice. They wanted me to stay on indefinitely but I was so sick on benzos I just needed to get off them. I found Ativan a lot easier to taper from than xanax. Alot easier. I know Ativan is also short acting but for some reason it was still easier for me. I don’t know which drug is the right one to reinstate to I just personally don’t thhink Xanax is it. But then again sometimes we have no choice.

Personally I would. However I am not sure about reinstating to Xanax. I tried to direct taper from Xanax and it was impossible for me. The hospital did the same to me and cold turkeyed me off Xanax and switched me straight to Ativan. It was HELL. They then tapered me off of Ativan over 5 days. They recognized the mistake and released me into outpatient care with a prescription for Ativan which they said is something they generally do not do. I had a lot of support from outside the hospital going to bat for me. I tapered off of the Ativan very quickly over about 5 or 6 weeks. I was not forced to do so this was my choice. They wanted me to stay on indefinitely but I was so sick on benzos I just needed to get off them. I found Ativan a lot easier to taper from than xanax. Alot easier. I know Ativan is also short acting but for some reason it was still easier for me. I don’t know which drug is the right one to reinstate to I just personally don’t thhink Xanax is it. But then again sometimes we have no choice.

I agree with Jack. There's been some research showing that going from Xanax to Klonopin (Clonazepam) can make tapering easier. Some people even have a hard time getting off K though, so you could switch to Valium (Diazepam) if you run into trouble. Going straight from Xanax to Valium can be tough, since Xanax hits a few more receptors and Diazepam is only a medium potency benzo.

There are a couple benzo wise doctors in Missouri that I see here:

https://www.benzoinfo.com/doctors/

I hope one of them can help your sister or find someone who can help her. The people who run those detox centers should be in prison.

Jack, you have a lot of good insight. I appreciate your feedback on my post as well as this one. I am going to advocate for myself the second I go to the facility tomorrow. As for reinstating, I would not do Xanax, as it is shorter lasting. A lot of folks would say Valium, but when my old doctor switched me overnight from Ativan to Valium, the Valium was like water compared to Ativan. It can take awhile to stabilize on Valium. I was on Librium, too, and thought it was fine. I'm currently on Klonopin, which is pretty smooth, too. Your sister definitely needs to reinstate, IMO. I would driver her out-of-state if I had to.

Oh what a real mess they put you in. I too went (was forced to) go into a rehab. On the 4th day my insurance refused to pay and I was discharged in full blown benzo wd. Hallucinating, and so weirdly sick. So scared.

I had no choice except to continue on with a ct withdrawal. I was so paranoid of doctors then I simply could zot see one to reinstate.

But that is just my story and yours will be different. If reinstating helps you feel a bit safer, do it. And plan your taper carefully.

Best of luck to you, friend. You can do this.

east

Reinstate 2.5 mg klonopin. Stabilize a month or so on that steady daily dose without such fluctuations. Then attempt another taper.

It seems, however, the detox was deemed necessary because of the HUGE fluctuations in daily dose. This is one of the reasons benzos cause such problems for some people.

Reinstate 2.5 mg klonopin. Stabilize a month or so on that steady daily dose without such fluctuations. Then attempt another taper.

It seems, however, the detox was deemed necessary because of the HUGE fluctuations in daily dose. This is one of the reasons benzos cause such problems for some people.

Hi mymissingmoon.

Please remember to offer your advice as opinion rather than absolute. Here’s the section of the guidelines that offers the best ways to give advice without being prescriptive:

Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice

Thank you!

Challis  :)