Oxalates

[37...]

[37...]

I had a test come back recently stating I was very high in oxalates and arabinose.

Is this something I need to further look into and treat?

NOt familiar with arabinose, but very familiar with oxalate problems.  I have to eat a low oxalate diet, or I have huge issues with depression/anxiety/pain/insomnia.  When your oxalates are high, your body has to use up nutrients like biotin, b6 and zinc to deal with them.  This basically causes malnutrition, which leads to all kinds of physical/mental problems.  Plus the oxalate crystals can build up in your tissues and joints, causing a lot of pain.

One time when I ate spinach every day for a couple weeks, I started crying nonstop.  Like, all day every day.  That was actually what lead me down the oxalate road.  I believe spinach has the highest level of oxalates of any food.  Nuts are very high as well.  And some fruit/veggies are also high. 

Those with chronic illness also tend to start producing oxalates endogenously.  I can't remember why.    But this puts an added burden on the system, and makes a low oxalate diet even more important.

I would recommend checking out the "Trying Low Oxalates" Yahoo group.  There is a high/medium/low oxalate foods list there in the files that can help get you started lowering your oxalates.  Do it slowly, oxalate "dumping" can cause profound pain and feelings of toxicity as the oxalates leave your tissues.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Trying_Low_Oxalates/info

[37...]
Thank you very much.  I looked into lowering oxalates before.  I eat a lot of sweet potatoes and plantains.  Lowering them slowly sounds confusing.  How are you supposed to taper food haha!