NSAID's Ibuprofen (UK) (otherwise known as advil in the US)

[jo...]

For the past few months, my left shoulder has been getting stiff and it's starting to hurt when I lay on that side on a night.

I have done some googling and it seems to correlate with the symptoms of frozen shoulder.

I live a sedentary lifestyle and as I sit at my laptop all day and am right handed, I have had my left shoulder still for a long time.

The treatment for this is steroid injections, but I know that steroids are contra indicated in withdrawal, but why are NASID's also contra-indicated in withdrawal, as these are non steroidal?

These are also a recommended form of treatment, what will happen to my taper if I go to my doctor and am given NSAID's?

Thanks

I just had a feeling something was wrong with them as when I took them I got very sleepy and if I took them at night I woke up with a hangover. I have no proof they affect the gaba but it sure feels that way. Here’s other reasons.

https://www.webmd.com/heart/news/20150710/fda-warning-nsaids-heart_risks#1

Thanks, I don't like the idea of stroke or heart risk, but I can't take steroids either and apparently frozen shoulder is really painful. Mine's only in the early stages, that's if  it is frozen shoulder.

Tylenol?

Thanks, is it safe to take daily?

Yes it is. I take it with no problems. I think it’s actually better than opiates.

Tylenol?

Thanks, is it safe to take daily?

Thank you

Yes it is. I take it with no problems. I think it’s actually better than opiates.

• 3 weeks later...

For the past few months, my left shoulder has been getting stiff and it's starting to hurt when I lay on that side on a night.

I have done some googling and it seems to correlate with the symptoms of frozen shoulder.

I live a sedentary lifestyle and as I sit at my laptop all day and am right handed, I have had my left shoulder still for a long time.

The treatment for this is steroid injections, but I know that steroids are contra indicated in withdrawal, but why are NASID's also contra-indicated in withdrawal, as these are non steroidal?

These are also a recommended form of treatment, what will happen to my taper if I go to my doctor and am given NSAID's?

Thanks

Journey, I was just researching this and there is a lot of information in our search engine.  I can't explain this to you exactly, but you can search also on google.  The one thing I understood very clearly, it said if you weren't on benzo's, nsaids would not be as bad on  gaba.  I suggest you research some.  Also I tried researching Tylenol, and as before, it was way over my head, but I got the impression, there may be an issue, but it's so complicated I am not sure.  I know that is terribly unclear and I have a question on board about it now.  It's just a suggestion, but I would research it, you may understand more than I did.  Mary

Journey, I was just researching this and there is a lot of information in our search engine.  I can't explain this to you exactly, but you can search also on google.  The one thing I understood very clearly, it said if you weren't on benzo's, nsaids would not be as bad on  gaba.  I suggest you research some.  Also I tried researching Tylenol, and as before, it was way over my head, but I got the impression, there may be an issue, but it's so complicated I am not sure.  I know that is terribly unclear and I have a question on board about it now.  It's just a suggestion, but I would research it, you may understand more than I did.  Mary

Hi Mary and thanks

I find that researching pharma-science on google makes me more anxious, it just brings up new worries. I understand you when you said you understood very clearly that NSAID's would not be as bad on GABA if you were't on benzos, but benzos mess up GABA.

[fb...]
I think that NSAIDS have an inhibitory effect on gaba receptors so you might get an uptick in sxs, i took aspirin for 6 weeks daily and felt like i was back in acute, i stopped taking it and sxs much better.

Hi Mary and thanks

I find that researching pharma-science on google makes me more anxious, it just brings up new worries. I understand you when you said you understood very clearly that NSAID's would not be as bad on GABA if you were't on benzos, but benzos mess up GABA.

I have a thread on Withdrawal Support about nsaids and gaba if you want to read it.  Quite a few responses.  Just can't seem to get much on Tylenol.  Like Southern Star, my symptoms started ramping and I could not figure out why, then I stumbled across a thread on aspirin, and it sounded just like what was happening to me, that's why I started researching.  M

Oh, you aren't on benzo's, you are benzo free, sorry just caught that, so from what I read, it definitely shouldn't effect you like it would those of us still tapering but that is still a question, since some things set people back after withdrawal.  Damn, there are just no definitive answers to any question once you have been on benzo's.  I read a post somewhere this morning that mentioned a pain med I had never heard of.  Let me see if I can find it.

Oh, you aren't on benzo's, you are benzo free, sorry just caught that, so from what I read, it definitely shouldn't effect you like it would those of us still tapering but that is still a question, since some things set people back after withdrawal.  Damn, there are just no definitive answers to any question once you have been on benzo's.  I read a post somewhere this morning that mentioned a pain med I had never heard of.  Let me see if I can find it.

I just went back to read that thread, and actually several of the people that responded about having set backs from nsaids were off benzo's  :(

The drug name I was searching for is indomethacin, acts like ibu in some ways but not in others.

Ok, I hope you find something, I have a lot of muscle pain and now am about to be afraid to take anything.  I hate benzo's.  Good luck !  M ♥️

Dr. Google can cause a lot of anxiety. I try and limit my use.

I also get anxious and try not to look at google. Does anyone know if I can take NSAID's on valium and if not, why.

Much appreciated thanks

[fb...]
My theory re other meds that affect gaba and wd is that while you're on a benzo the receptors are already downregulated,  when you come off the benzo the receptors are starting to sprout again and when we take meds that affect them they get reinjured again hence the return to acute like sxs, maybe the benzo acts like a buffer idk. If my theory is half right you should be ok taking a NSAID whilst on Valium. I took meds. (a penicillin antibiotic known to act on gaba receptors)  whilst on V and had no adverse effects but i took the same AB 9 months off and all hell broke loose. Who knows, no serious research has ever been done on this.

What about having a massage? Would that help?

I know we're prone to taking pills at the first sign of trouble, but they can be risky. I developed high bp from NSAIDS. They affect the kidneys also and the stomach. I would search out natural alternatives first.

My theory re other meds that affect gaba and wd is that while you're on a benzo the receptors are already downregulated,  when you come off the benzo the receptors are starting to sprout again and when we take meds that affect them they get reinjured again hence the return to acute like sxs, maybe the benzo acts like a buffer idk. If my theory is half right you should be ok taking a NSAID whilst on Valium. I took meds. (a penicillin antibiotic known to act on gaba receptors)  whilst on V and had no adverse effects but i took the same AB 9 months off and all hell broke loose. Who knows, no serious research has ever been done on this.

I know its all speculation isn't it and I find reading scientific research just fuels my anxiety.