Weight loss

[de...]

Just went to the doctor feeling shaky, weak.  I could also tell I was losing more weight. 

I have lost a further 10% of my body weight since I saw him only 2 weeks ago.  I have always been thin, but this is ridiculous.  I weigh 38kgs.  :-\.  He said it was 'significant'.  Do tell. 

My blood pressure was fine, UTI I suspected came back clear.  He has ordered a raft of tests, which I'm hoping will also come back clear. 

I talked to him about benzo's, even suggested a viewing of the Benzodiazapine Symposium to further his understanding, education.  I was met with the standard patronage. 

Have others seen their weight drop away at 7 months out? 

Dee

:smitten:

[e2...]
Sorry you're losing weight Dee, i hear it's a worry for you, i can't offer any advice as I've had the opposite problem but just wanted to say Good Onya for telling that doc about the benzo symposium, you go girl! I'm seeing the new cardiologist tomorrow and may need to take up your strategy if i meet with the usual incredulity about bwd. Kudos to you!

Dee,

I don’t know how tall you are, but you are quite low in weight.  I’m glad your doctor is on board with you.

I am 5’2”.  I lost 40 lbs in 6 months.  Weighed 107 lbs.  Skin and bones.  I weigh 120 now.  My conclusion about my weight loss was I had all this cortisol and adrenaline that was coursing through my body.  I was burning up more calories than I could eat.  I suffered from non-stop nausea and barely ate, on top of my super-charged metabolism.

Your weight should stabilize as your cortisol/adrenaline subsides.

Sofa

Thanks Southern, and sofa. 

It took me a bit of courage to tell the doctor about the Symposium, but am so over it figure it's a duty now to inform about the dangers of benzodiazapines.  Don't care what they say, I've got to say something.  I told him to note up what I believe is happening to me.  Bet he doesn't. 

Sofa, I'm 5'2" as well.  I am literally skin and bones.  It gives me hope that you lost 40lbs at one point, but are now regaining.  Bought a stack of protein rich foods yesterday, just got to find the appetite to eat it.  Also bought Protein drink. 

Less shaky this morning, and the pain that had me see the doctor has lessened.  I'm feeling confident that it is withdrawal, but will still undergo the tests. 

I agree with you sofa, I'm just burning calories by the minute.  I have always suspected I have a fast metabolism.  Thanks sofa. 

Thank you both. 

Dee

Thanks Southern, and sofa. 

It took me a bit of courage to tell the doctor about the Symposium, but am so over it figure it's a duty now to inform about the dangers of benzodiazapines.  Don't care what they say, I've got to say something.  I told him to note up what I believe is happening to me.  Bet he doesn't. 

Sofa, I'm 5'2" as well.  I am literally skin and bones.  It gives me hope that you lost 40lbs at one point, but are now regaining.  Bought a stack of protein rich foods yesterday, just got to find the appetite to eat it.  Also bought Protein drink. 

Less shaky this morning, and the pain that had me see the doctor has lessened.  I'm feeling confident that it is withdrawal, but will still undergo the tests. 

I agree with you sofa, I'm just burning calories by the minute.  I have always suspected I have a fast metabolism.  Thanks sofa. 

Thank you both. 

Dee

Hi hi hi Dee,

You never know. Maybe you doc will get it. I just got a referral to a neurologist from my general practitioner after I described the weird shit my brain was going through. The referral said something to the affect of "Check cognitive function, post benzo use of greater than three months." So, I think she gets it.

Hope your doc does too!

Thanks Think. 

I'm becoming more confident in telling doctors what I believe is happing.  I became so reduced in having them disbelieve me, finished up saying nothing.  Now, if they roll their eyes, I couldn't care less.  It's so good to see 'experts' standing at the podium, as in the Symposium.

Your doctor seems to be slowly getting the message, and at least listened. 

I have to go back to my doc and will push further.  I really don't want to go through endoscopy's and other invasive tests, feel so tired.  I will, but it's a scary drag. 

Dee

Thanks Think. 

I'm becoming more confident in telling doctors what I believe is happing.  I became so reduced in having them disbelieve me, finished up saying nothing.  Now, if they roll their eyes, I couldn't care less.  It's so good to see 'experts' standing at the podium, as in the Symposium.

Your doctor seems to be slowly getting the message, and at least listened. 

I have to go back to my doc and will push further.  I really don't want to go through endoscopy's and other invasive tests, feel so tired.  I will, but it's a scary drag. 

Dee

Well, we'll see. Who knows with the neurologist. I am totally willing to get up in the middle of the appointment and walk out if they aren't being respectful. It is hard, especially when you are tired!

Dee,  The weight loss is a big challenge for me.  I am a small person too, and was frightened by the rapid muscle and weight loss.  I stopped weighing at 100lbs (45kg's).  This fear of weight loss sent me into a panic so I stopped stepping on the scale. 

It's tough to force anything down when ya have no appetite.  I drink smoothies with protein powder, lotsa fruit, coconut oil, chia seeds and yogurt.  I eat spoonfuls of peanut butter throughout the day.  I also keep a bowl of mixed nuts mixed with 70% cocoa chips on my desk.  I couldn't tolerate meal replacement drinks with all the added vitamins and crap. 

It's been slow but I am up to 110lb.  My appetite is pretty good now but my weight is staying about the same.  I would like about 10 more lbs.

I am hoping with time and gaining a little more muscle mass that my normal weight will return.

This is super tough on people who already have a screaming metabolism!!!  Hang in there Dee.

Protein, protein, protein. If you eat nothing else, eat protein. During this high stress period our bodies are in a catabolic state, meaning your body will literally eat it’s own muscle to maintain metabolic function for your organs, IF you don’t eat enough. I walk around at 180-185 pounds, lean. I previously wrestled and it was HELL cutting weight to get down to my 171 lb weight class. My lowest during this benzo shit was 145, I’m 6 feet tall. I started practicing what I preached above and I am now 192. I started with peanut butter (by the spoonful) and pea protein powder shakes. One or the other literally every 1-2 hours when not sleeping, in addition to normal snacks and meals. It came back fast. Now that stuff has settled down I no longer have to do that to maintain (it would be great if that extra 5-10 would go ). I use to design nutrition support regimens for critically ill patients as part of my job. Aim for 1.2-1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Only caution is if anybody had kidney disease.

Hey iCAN,  What are Norma snacks?  Pea protein powder?...Any better than others?  My muscle just melted away in a matter of a few weeks in acute.  It was scary.  Sounds like your protein plan worked. 

Thanks Ican

Thank you Everyone for support my weight loss.

I feel too unwell today to reply individually, but am ever grateful for all the tips. 

I bought protein rich foods, but when I look at a full plate I become overwhelmed.  I can't even force it down.

I think the small stuff recommended by DovLuv will be my first move.  I'll be able to manage small helpings.  Big spoon of peanut butter now.

Everyone's tips and experience have been so very helpful.  To know others have been through same...

I can't find a skeleton in emoji choices, so here is my Undead head in thanks.  ☠️  It came from the label on my Valium bottle.  ;D

Dee

Hey iCAN,  What are Norma snacks?  Pea protein powder?...Any better than others?  My muscle just melted away in a matter of a few weeks in acute.  It was scary.  Sounds like your protein plan worked. 

Thanks Ican

“normal” misspelled with shitty autocorrect is what “Norma” is LoL

LOLOLOLOL ICAN.  Looking around for Norma snacks at the grocery store now.  Thought they were like Little Debby’s.  Hahahaaaaa.

Ican...is this your sense of humor at work?...Norma is actually my mother's name. I know what she eats for snacks and it very likely involves MSG!  I was befuddled...I was getting ready to google it....

Ya Sofa...heading out to the grocery store now.  Thanks for saving me the time of searching the aisles.

Jeeeez…...

Thank you Everyone for support my weight loss.

I feel too unwell today to reply individually, but am ever grateful for all the tips. 

I bought protein rich foods, but when I look at a full plate I become overwhelmed.  I can't even force it down.

I think the small stuff recommended by DovLuv will be my first move.  I'll be able to manage small helpings.  Big spoon of peanut butter now.

Everyone's tips and experience have been so very helpful.  To know others have been through same...

I can't find a skeleton in emoji choices, so here is my Undead head in thanks.  ☠️  It came from the label on my Valium bottle.  ;D

Dee

Dee Dee Dee, hope you are feeling better today.

Hi Dee, Just to say I am thinking about you. I hope you find a way to gain back some weight, Lots of spoons of peanut butter or almond butter for the calories. I hope the Doctor can find a way to help.  You need someone bringing you some meals in just now, but best to check if anything else is going on apart from  withdrawals.

Healing thoughts coming your way

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dee,

I hope you are feeling better today.  I know what you mean about the weight loss.  I've lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks, down to 114 lbs. 

I bought a huge bag of almonds and cashews and try to eat them throughout the day. 

I'm also trying a protein drink.  If the vitamins and additives in protein drinks bother you, try getting pure whey on Amazon.  I buy Naked Whey and mix it with a banana, flax seeds, almond milk and frozen fruit.  But if you can't do all that, the protein and fruit have lots of calories.

Also, I try to get protein bars with the highest calories. 

It's not fun losing all this weight. I feared the worst.  But when I sat down and looked at my dwindling appetite, along with night sweats (probably burning calories at night), it kind of makes sense.

Keep us posted.

I lost 30 lbs and two pants sizes when I came off of Xanax.  My weight came back after about a year and yours probably will too if you make sure you are eating correctly. 

Hi Dee. I can also relate. I am 5'3" and usually have a curvier body shape. Unfortunately, I was C/T by my doctor and psychiatrist after a very short-term use of Xanax .25mg 2xs a day (about 1 and 1/2 months ago from July 2019 - August 2019) following paradoxical effects and severe reactions to Xanax. Within 2 months I'd lost 30lbs (13kg). As of 2 weeks ago, I stopped counting. While some think I intentionally lost weight for a better shape/figure, it makes me really insecure to know that my weight loss is due to withdrawal. My hope for all of us is that our appetites return and we gain weight back through healthy substantial eating. Right now, the best I can do is a protein shake or smoothie here and there. If I get a small window where I feel a lift in mood, I try to eat a salad with chicken a bowl of soup.

And good for you for telling the doctor about the symposium! I would do the same! The best thing we can do is also educate ourselves and then bring legitimate information back to our own doctors.

I hope this helps!

lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks about 1 month into valium taper - had already lost 20 lbs when quitting Lexapro.  It's a real struggle to maintain my current weight now. I'm skin and bones - muscle mass drastically reduced.  It's not like I exercise a lot  anymore - used to practice yoga 5 days a week and walk a lot - some days getting out of bed is a struggle. I feel like I burn a lot of calories at night with the lack of sleep - nightmares when I do sleep - heart pounding when I wake up in the night and most mornings.

I've had all the tests and they all come back normal - don't bother with the doctor anymore. It's side effects of valium taper. I've accepted that.

I've slowed my taper down and am holding now at just below 5 mg/day. I'm hoping to stabilize so I can continue the taper. I had been hoping to be off by the end of the year but I'm going to have to revise that schedule. Just noticed how often I say "hope". Would be nice if there was something more than a vague hope that things will get better.

This is very concerning to me also. I try to eat high calorie foods, peanut butter, pimento spread by the spoonful. I also have to wash down food with water or milk. I've also gotten some meal replacement shakes as it is easier to drink than eat sometimes.

Hope this helps