Can't let go of thoughts

[ca...]

[ca...]

I have this horrible symptom which has plagued me on and off for a long time.  I will forget something I was thinking or going to say and my mind will repeatedly try and remember for hours and even days non-stop.  It is maddening and makes me want to  :brickwall:

It went away for a couple of months and now it is back.  I don't see anyone talking about anything like this.  Is it the damage done to my brain by the benzos or should I be looking into something else?

Sorry for your pain this  is common symptom I don’t have answer for you accept districting mind on other thoughts hard to do though.

I have this horrible symptom which has plagued me on and off for a long time.  I will forget something I was thinking or going to say and my mind will repeatedly try and remember for hours and even days non-stop.  It is maddening and makes me want to  :brickwall:

It went away for a couple of months and now it is back.  I don't see anyone talking about anything like this.  Is it the damage done to my brain by the benzos or should I be looking into something else?

Was this a pre-existing condition? I have this sometimes and I just have to get up and distract. Usually with exercise or a movie/book/etc.

Are you exercising?

[ca...]
No.  I never had anything like it before.  My memory just goes blank and my mind won't let it go. It eventually goes away.

No.  I never had anything like it before.  My memory just goes blank and my mind won't let it go. It eventually goes away.

What can you do about it? Does it go away if you exercise?

I've always had this to some extent, but it seems like BWD magnifies it.

For sure that's so distressing. I have a similar thing going on - like an extreme case of OCD, where I can't cease with the obsessive thoughts about trying to think something through or understand something that would normally be difficult perhaps, but possible. This obsession goes non-stop about something I really cannot process - even in my sleep! It goes far beyond frustration - it is, as you said, maddening. I am ADD so there has always been difficulties in thought processes where holding a train of thought to scattered to do complex math equations, for example, just no possible. It's like feeling stupid even though I know I'm not. The Benzos carries it to another level where I come across as retarded. My cognitive function is so impaired, I cannot hold down the type of job I used to do or carry out the simplest of tasks. Has always had an impact on self-esteem but now I have to avoid social interactions, normal conversation understand anything in depth. My intuitive function to a limited fashion, is all I've got to get by. Life sucks so bad, I feel I can't stand it. Benzos are just evil.

• 3 weeks later...
Same here.  First: it's the benzo!  I NEVER had anything even close to this happen to me until after benzo.  I couldn't remember something and my mind tried to remember it for days and it plagued me.  This happened several times and I went into a brain fog every time.  I hope the brain fog was my brain healing and not dying...  And also intrusive thoughts, looping non stop thoughts, all part of the same family I believe.  I've researched benzos and exactly what part of the brain they affect.  There were studies done way back in the 60's and 70's on brains of rats that were on benzos.  The memory center of the brain and all the areas that are related to it showed remains of benzos.  They showed up on scans as weird benzo dots or something.  I'm trying to remember.  Anyways, I think the amygdala fires up especially as it pertains to memory and recall.  (Just a theory).  Randomly you remember or think of something and the benzo damage or remnants can trigger a fear response and attach it to that thing, whatever you are thinking at the time - and then cause some abomination to join that thought, such as death, suicide, murder, molestation, rape, hopelessness, insanity, pain-something violent usually...  After reading a thousand of these, that's the conclusion I've come to.  I could be wrong, who knows.