Insomnia and trouble with SSRI’s

[Oc...]

I’ve been on Klonopin for 30 years and SSRI’s for about 25. When I retired a few years ago I got off the anti-depressants (Cymbalta and Wellbutrin). I figured that in retirement I would have less stress and not need these drugs. I was wrong. I developed really bad insomnia about a year ago, averaging 2-3 hours a night. My doctor figured it was my depression and prescribed Trazadone. It helped for a few weeks, but the brain fog was too much. So I was switched to Remeron. Sleep returned, but I developed something new - anxiety. It got so bad that I had to stop the Remeron. I still have anxiety, but not as bad, and the insomnia has returned.

Other SSRI’s were tried, but I couldn’t tolerate the side effect of anxiety.

What has happened to me? I used to be able to tolerate SSRI’s. I read somewhere that long term use of benzo’s can make taking SSRI’s more difficult. I really want to regain my strength, get back my sleep, as I will need my strength to survive a Klonopin taper.

Anyone else experience bad interactions between benzo’s and ssri’s? Any thoughts on what I can do to regain my sleep, regain my ability to tolerate ssri’s? Thank you.

It is possible that the anxiety is being caused by the benzo withdrawal and not the use of anti-depressants. When I was at my worst with my Ambien withdrawal I tried most of the anti-depressants that you mentioned, including a SSRI. I was very aware of a different side-effects from each drug to the point where I could not tolerate them due to the heightened anxiety that they created so I had to stop taking them. The SSRI was the only med that made me feel good, but it acted as a stimulant and denied me any sleep at all. I am afraid that the only way out of the hole for me was simply riding out the withdrawal without the use of any medications. I now sleep well most nights.

It is possible that the anxiety is being caused by the benzo withdrawal and not the use of anti-depressants. When I was at my worst with my Ambien withdrawal I tried most of the anti-depressants that you mentioned, including a SSRI. I was very aware of a different side-effects from each drug to the point where I could not tolerate them due to the heightened anxiety that they created so I had to stop taking them. The SSRI was the only med that made me feel good, but it acted as a stimulant and denied me any sleep at all. I am afraid that the only way out of the hole for me was simply riding out the withdrawal without the use of any medications. I now sleep well most nights.

Thanks for the reply. The weird thing is that I have not started my Klonopin taper yet, so I should theoretically not be in a Klonopin withdrawal. With that said, I have heard that after many years on a benzo, anxiety can set in. I was feeling a bit anxious a few years ago, so my doctor increased my Klonopin dose from three to four .05mg tablets daily, with the idea of keeping a better level in my bloodstream, stopping a possible interdose withdrawal.

I am dosing every four hours - 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm. That makes for a 12 hour gap between night and morning. Is that a problem? Maybe every 5 hours? Every six would make the interval even, but I would need to set an alarm for the midnight dose, waking up when I am already struggling to get only 3 to 4 hours of sleep each night.

I am afraid that I cannot comment on dosing since I did a very rapid taper myself. I do know that over time benzos and z-drugs can start to work less and less as tolerance sets in. It stands to reason that when they work less effectively the symptoms that they are intended to treat become more pronounced. I would not set an alarm at night to take a dose since it would not make any sense to interfere with any sleep that you maybe taking.

You should also think long and hard about ever deciding to updose to avoid the anxiety since that will probably just lead to much more anxiety down the road. It would be better to find natural solutions, even if they only help a little. You might want to combat anxiety through meditation, communicating with others and by finding things that make you feel calmer and then gravitating toward them when needed.

I am afraid that I cannot comment on dosing since I did a very rapid taper myself. I do know that over time benzos and z-drugs can start to work less and less as tolerance sets in. It stands to reason that when they work less effectively the symptoms that they are intended to treat become more pronounced. I would not set an alarm at night to take a dose since it would not make any sense to interfere with any sleep that you maybe taking.

You should also think long and hard about ever deciding to updose to avoid the anxiety since that will probably just lead to much more anxiety down the road. It would be better to find natural solutions, even if they only help a little. You might want to combat anxiety through meditation, communicating with others and by finding things that make you feel calmer and then gravitating toward them when needed.

Thanks for the reply. I definitely won’t updose again because the last updose did not resolve the anxiety. I got back into meditation a week ago and it does help.