Help tapering 2mg Klonopin

[Oc...]

I’m taking 2mg of Klonopin daily, .5mg x 4. Looking at the Valium taper on the Ashton Manual, it looks like a 5% reduction at first (40mg, 38mg), then a 2.5% reduction towards the end (14mg, 13mg...1mg).

Following this plan, would my Klonopin taper look like this - 2.0mg, 1.9mg, 1.8mg, then towards the end 0.7mg, 0.65mg, 0.6mg?

Second, do I cut/file down each .5mg pill equally, from .5mg x 4 to .475mg x 4?

Many years ago I tried a rapid taper twice, from 3 pills to 2.5 pills...1/2 pill. That didn’t work. Ouch!

Thank you!

Hi

Welcome to the place nobody wants to be. Actually, this is the right place to be. I also tapered of klonopin, but at a higher dose. The one nice thing about this drug is it comes in a variety of doses. If you can get you hands on wafers, I would start with that. You can drop a .125 mg wafer, which is a one sixteenth cut. Around this time you might want to consider the possibility of doing a partial cross over to Valium. So you could substitute 1 mg of klonopin to 20 mg of Valium. Valium can make people sedated and tired for a while so please know it will get better. It can also make some people depressed but not me.

That would leave you with 20 mg Valium and .875 mg klonopin. Valium is much weaker than klonopin hence the 20 mg. It’s supposed to make for an easier taper. It did for me. I did a 5% reduction too but at first I cut by a larger amount. That would be the wafer, if you have any interest in this. Okay now here comes a bit more complicated. You can either do a micro liquid taper or a dry micro taper. There is math involved.

Now I know how to do the math but it’s been a while so my best suggestion is to go to the support section and find The Klonopin Klub. I was one of its founders and it had a small membership then but now it’s quite large. No worries though most do the dry. It should be pretty painless if you find the taper that is right for you but I will say it takes quite a bit longer than cut and hold.

Or, long time member here named builder can help you with a liquid taper. You can usually find him the liquid taper support group. He pretty much runs the show there. Good luck.🍀👍 I’m sure once you get the hang of it you’ll do fine. Both seem very complicated at first but they really aren’t. :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you for the ideas and support!

Wow, you survived a very high dose of Klonopin! That is most encouraging.

I read and like the Valium crossover plan and ok with the sedative properties, as I have difficulties sleeping.

From a psychological point of view, I don’t like the idea of spending time with these pills, shaving and weighing, spending more time with something that has ruined a big part of my life.  I just want to do what I have done for years, take the pills and then forget I even need medicine. See myself as healthy. Live my life as best I can.

Stick with Klonopin for your taper. The half-life is plenty long and your body is already accustomed to it. If you want to file and weight tablets that will work but try to get them in a smaller dose such as the .125 ODT tablets. These will be easier to work with especially when you get to lower dosages. Shoot for 10 to 20% a month reduction depending on what you can tolerate. Remember this percentage is multiplied against the amount you are currently taking. As you go down the percentage drop remain the same but the amount of each cut will get much smaller as it is relative to the total amount.

Measuring the pills is time consuming. I don’t think the liquid takes as long, but builder would be the one to help you with that. :thumbsup:

Liquid is much, much easier and reliable.

Stick with Klonopin for your taper. The half-life is plenty long and your body is already accustomed to it. If you want to file and weight tablets that will work but try to get them in a smaller dose such as the .125 ODT tablets. These will be easier to work with especially when you get to lower dosages. Shoot for 10 to 20% a month reduction depending on what you can tolerate. Remember this percentage is multiplied against the amount you are currently taking. As you go down the percentage drop remain the same but the amount of each cut will get much smaller as it is relative to the total amount.

I didn’t know the percentage was calculated from the current dose. I can see that your drops are getting smaller, from .12mg to .04mg. Glad to see the crossover to Klonopin working for you. Thanks.

You can’t shave wafers. They are very soft and will crumble. Just sayin as I’ve been through this plus a lot more in my six years here. I’ve pretty much seen it all to know klonopin is a nasty one.  You might want to consider builder.

Trying to get a doctor to prescribe two benzos at once these days is almost impossible.  I have wondered myself if I could add in just a small amount of Valium to help me taper and reduce the I/D withdrawals of the klonopin but with the crackdown on benzos these days and doctors worried about their "reputations", it is not easy.  I am cutting/weighing the wafers and it's definitely not ideal and I'm not sure I'm getting the right amount.  I could not handle a homemade liquid solution but I'm very sensitive and many don't have difficulties. 

I know it can be difficult. I was very lucky to have a benzo wise pdoc who did it for me. Klonopin has a fairly long half life so if you are dosing two or more times daily you should not have interdose in my opinion.

I know it can be difficult. I was very lucky to have a benzo wise pdoc who did it for me. Klonopin has a fairly long half life so if you are dosing two or more times daily you should not have interdose in my opinion.

Currently my 2 doses of K total .5mg/day.  I shouldn't have i/w either........but I do.  :(

If this keeps up I'll either gut it out with K......or switch to V.

It's one big experiment and we are both the scientist and the guinea pig.

Are you paradoxical to the K? The reason I ask is because I was....

Back in the day, I got off Valium and that's what I expected with the K.  What I learned was that K has it's own unique brand of monster. Often my thoughts move toward a cabin in the middle of nowhere, with a happy dog to lick my face, while I rapidly get off this stuff.  :crazy: