RIP.....Prof. Heather Ashton..

[Mo...]

Sad news.....copied from FB.  :(

It is with sincere sadness that I write to let people know of the passing of Professor C. Heather Ashton. I will put below the letter I received from her son John. I wrote him back to let him know we will all continue the fight to educate about the potential dangers of benzodiazepines. Also, we need to respect this time as they are grieving and have so much going on.

Dear Geraldine

I'm so terribly sad to have to tell you that my mother has died.

When it came, just before midnight two Sundays ago on 15 September, it came peacefully, and indeed with a gentleness that was almost transcendental, like the merest ripple passing across the face of the deep. Mum knew it was coming, was not afraid, and was ready. I was with her (and indeed feel as if I still am).

She would want you to stay strong, to keep up the struggle, and to celebrate her memory, which lives on in so many ways including in you. You can be extremely proud of all you have done to build on Mum's work and to help accomplish the goals she set for herself in doing it: to bring to an end the reckless prescription of benzos and above all to ease the suffering of all those who have already fallen victim to it. Thank you in particular for helping to curate the Manual, and to keep it as freely available as Mum always wanted it to be.

I'm sure many people will wish to know of Mum's passing, quite understandably, find ways to pay their respects. Do please feel free to share the sad news as you see fit. But as you can imagine this is now a devastating time for our family. So if the word could spread without for the moment adding too much to the cognitive and emotional overload with which we are grappling, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm sending similar messages to a few of you with whom I have had the pleasure to be in touch over the last few years, while I have been caring for Mum.

She would in any case say that the best way to honour her memory is to keep fighting to end the benzo scourge, and to keep standing tall in the fight.

With warm blessings and deep appreciation

John

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [no...]

• [Be...]

• [be...]

I am so sad to read this news, I had not heard about her passing though I knew she was very ill.  She was a good woman who did so much to help patients.

Thanks for letting us know.

Fiona  :smitten:

Thank you, Morreweg, for letting us know.

When I first stumbled on this I thought it might be about someone's else's death.

We all die, some sooner than others.  Prof. Ashton had a wonderfully productive life and we can only hope our own deaths will be as peaceful.

RIP

just read this on fb also. rest in peace sweet lady.

wow what a loss to everyone she touched.

there were rumors a copuple of weeks ago that she passed but then we were told no she's just very ill.

i wonder why the family chose not to tell the public for 2 weeks of her passing?

I just read this on fb too. What a wonderful woman. She gave me hope during the most horrible time in my life. She really changed my life, and that of millions of others. She will continue to positively impact the world through her manual and her teachings to others. Thank you thank you thank you Heather Ashton! 

I echo what FG says. Truly a wonderful woman who has certainly saved very many lives and has given hope to so many suffering from benzos. God bless her!

THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts, Professor Ashton!!!

This is such sad news, what an amazing lady!  who really did make a difference.  My deepest gratitude for all you have given to people like myself. 

Rest in peace Professor Ashton  :smitten:

She contributed so much to the world with her important work. I can't imagine where many of us would be without it. I'm so glad to know that her passing was peaceful.

May she rest in peace.

I'm so sorry to hear of her passing, she validated me at a time when I needed it the most, I printed her manual and read through it often, holding on to her calming words.  She was the first to see us, I'll forever be grateful.

Sorry to hear of her passing.  Without her manual, I would have never really known what was causing all of my suffering.  Now I do.  Benzo damage, and I learned it from her teachings.

Oh dear. I did not know she passed on since I don't spend hours here now. What an enormous loss! I canonly hope someone else will step up and begin spreading the truth about benzos. SO many lives cold be saved.

east

People are stepping up and spreading the word.  Dr. Ashton’s work was the foundation and each one of us is a brick.  All our posts are the mortar that binds us.  Many members on this forum are campaigners.  I see the groundswell.  It takes a lot of ripples to form a tsunami, but it’s coming.

Heather Ashton is proud of us.  She sees the strength we have to overcome the worst suffering imaginable in body, mind and soul.  Every day we survive is a testament to her.

Sofa

Sofa, I was going to write a few words, but you put it so well.... :smitten: :smitten:

RIP Heather Ashton and thank you for your incredible work.

Mary 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

People are stepping up and spreading the word.  Dr. Ashton’s work was the foundation and each one of us is a brick.  All our posts are the mortar that binds us.  Many members on this forum are campaigners.  I see the groundswell.  It takes a lot of ripples to form a tsunami, but it’s coming.

Heather Ashton is proud of us.  She sees the strength we have to overcome the worst suffering imaginable in body, mind and soul.  Every day we survive is a testament to her.

Sofa

right on!

though sad to hear she passed a couple weeks ago, i also feel like her spirit, that indomitable fierce force of hers that refused to back down when her facts and experience with benzo wd made a lot of bad prescribers angry and embarassed because now they are exposed...she is such an inspiration. and i feel her pride in us here, continuing to battle for public awareness and better wd methods that she gave us to start out with.

sofaking do you have a Buddie Blog or another blog somewhere that i can read your story?