“Inflammation”

[...]

Apparently inflammation is bad, according to everyone with an internet connection. But what is it? I’m not a scientist. Sometimes faddy buzzwords get thrown around so much I’m not sure what to believe. Anyway, enough cynicism. I’ve noticed, and I’ve seen others say, that ibuprofen helps them. I notice this particularly when I take it before bed. It seems to settle me a little and I often sleep better. Ibuprofen reduces inflammation. Is this inflammation reduction the reason I feel better??  Ibuprofen can also cause stomach issues if taken too much. Question: Has anyone tried reducing inflammation with natural supplements like turmeric or curcumin? Did it work?? Any opinions on ibuprofen? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Hi DBM,  I've been taking turmeric everyday for the last two months and I don't know if it's just a coincidence but I really feel like it it's been helping me, at least I've had a little bit of an improvement in my mental symptoms lately. Before i started taking it I did some research on turmeric and its anti-inflammatory qualities and it really sounded like a miracle supplement to me, so now i really swear by it:) then of course it could just be a placebo effect but as for ibuprofen Id be careful with it, at least make sure you ask your doctor about the SE, I know it affects your kidneys negatively. The one thing about turmeric also is you want to be careful and ease yourself into it because it might cause some GI upset initially, especially if taken on an empty stomach.

A side note re:inflammation-

I found out I had a gluten problem in 2012 while still on Klonopin.  The gluten reaction caused inflammation in me.. sore joints, bleeding gums, skin rashes, and brain fog.  When I cut it from my diet all that went away.

Anyways.. once I went off klonopin in 2016 and all that mess started, if I eat anything with wheat in it by mistake and get "glutenized" the inflammation hits two fold.  Both the regular gluten reactions and the benzo syx skyrocket.

I know the whole gluten free thing is a diet fad now and maybe beneficial for anyone.  But if you're specifically sensitive to it AND going through benzo w/d it can be a double whammy.

Hi, I took Ibuprofen last week to be painfree for a couple of hours. And I was!  But having had stomach ulcers in the past, I should not take them. I had two in just under a week, taken during lunchtime on a full stomach,  but started noticing some stomach issues in the evening. ( mostly heartburn and a bit of pain). So, no more Ibuprofen for me. Paracetamol doesn't do much for my pain, It takes off the sharpest edge of the pain. Tumeric comes in liquid form in capsules. Some swear by it.

C Reactive Protein is a blood test for this. Mine is high at the present. Never been before that I know of. I have severe gastritis and ulcer flare up at present. I tested positive for H Pylori this past week via blood antigen. Had a breath test today to see if I have current infection. I was diagnosed 4 years ago with peptic ulcer disease and I was negative. It was shock to get the results.

Inflammation in the stomach can really contribute to high CRP. A lot of people attribute a high test to be indicative of heart disease, but not always the case.

Turmeric is excellent for inflammation. I used to take it just for all of the benefits until I got the ulcers.

It can be hard on the gut.

Ditto for turmeric, but check with your doctor. And, there are a few challenges with absorption. For example, forms that are hydro-soluble absorb better.

• 4 weeks later...

Ibuprofin does affect GABA

Tumeric (circumin) sound be take with piperine (freshly cracked black pepper) and fats.Longvida and BCM are two proprietary supplements one is better for the joints subsidy while longvida is better for brain inflammation.

Yes, check with your doctor about the turmeric. And, as another noted, absorption matters. Forms that are hydro-soluble will also absorb better.

Orctake ot with pepper. Turmeric is also more effective if eaten with fat and heated which is why ppl make a tea of it with warm milk.