A safe antibiotic?

[Ma...]

I have an upper respiratory virus or something for 2 weeks. I’m so afraid of antibiotics but may be forced to take them. Can anyone recommend the least damaging one?

Thanks for any help or feedback.

From my research penicillins act on the same gaba receptors as benzos so can cause issues for those of us in bwd, there are many reports on this forum  of setbacks from penicillins, however,  Keflex has been shown to have the weakest effect on the receptors. Clindamycin has been shown to have minimal neurotoxic effects but people have reported setbacks from it.

Not everyone has setbacks from ABs, we are all so different. It seems you are more likely to have a setback once you have tapered off as you are reinjuring the receptors, without the buffer of the drug to ameliorate it. And sometimes we have no choice but to take an AB, a setback isn't likely to kill you but certain infections can. I hope you get better soon and don't need one.

southern star

I read your sig.  I wish you a complete recovery. I think I will hold off unless it’s impossible.

Thank you for your response.

The AB 's in the Fluoroquinolone group should be avoided,  I read a while back. Hope that helps.

I agree with what you say about the Fluoroquinole group. You have to avoid them!

A friend of mine, who is also a BB fellow, took them as a doctor prescription, (without knowing how dangerous they were) and gave him a terrible anxiety crisis. And a setback almost to the beginning of his taper...

• 3 weeks later...

I am 8 days off diazepam and have been given a 7 day course of  Flucloxacillin for an infection on my knee .

I absolutely hate taking antibiotics and more espesially that I feel bad enough with WD odd symptoms . However I MUST push on so that this knee infection clears up .

I do not see this antibiotic on the list .

Any further comments welcome on these .

PS I take a good probiotic/prebiotic 6 strains

Thanks