GASTRITIS

[Be...]

Keep a food diary to notice which foods give you acid reflux. Skip those foods for a while to see it helps. Try to lift the top end of your bed some 6 inches / 15 cm. ( worked wonders for me!)  Drink the juice of a potato mixed with warm water on an empty stomach in the morning for a few weeks. Don't eat large meals. Less fat, no hot spices, stop smoking,  no coffee or black tea, no alcohol.  Reduce stress...that's maybe the hardest one... ;) Good luck.

Slippery elm, marshmallow root and melatonin. If you can avoid a PPI please try to. My son with Crohn's is on one and we can't get him off. And the long term side effects are not good.

Avoid ppi. I have been stuck on them for about 15 years now. I am going to try tapering that after Remeron. Gaviscon liquid works great for coating your esophagus. It’s good before lying down to sleep or when it gets real bad during the day. Tums seems to cause bad rebound reflux. Drink A LOT of water as it neutralizes stomach acid. Avoid fat and sugar. Bread helps soak up stomach juices and helps reflux if you are not gluten intolerant.

Ppi’s create dependency. If I miss a dose it feels like I drank gasoline. Rebound reflux unlike anything you can imagine. Makes it pretty much impossible to stop taking them once you have developed dependency. And it blocks b12, calcium and magnesium absorption leading to brittle bones.

If you can get a liquid prescription for carafate it works very well for protecting your stomach and esophagus from reflux. It can be safely used for a few months and then stopped with no problem. But it is very expensive and a lot of insurance don’t want to pay for the liquid form.

I took the tablet form of Carafate (the liquid made me ill -- sweetener and other additives, I guess). It's only a bit inconvenient -- you have to crush it and mix with water, It doesn't dissolve so you are drinking a slurry, but it has no taste. My insurance had no problem with it. It did fix my gastritis.

Hope this helps.

Katz

Yes, the tablet form will fix gastritis. However it will not help with gerd related esophagitus which often accompanies acid reflux. If you are having chest pains from your reflux then what you are ferling is esophageal damage. The liquid form is great for soothing the esophagus. I tried dissolving the tablets to create the same effect and it doesn’t even come close. However, liquid gaviscon is a great otc for esophageal pain. It is very soothing.