Omeprazole or Prilosec

[Ke...]

• 3 weeks later...

No but it makes a little but of a benzo feel like A LOT.  It does not act at a receptor, it just effects the metabolism of benzos and z-drugs.  Since you are 15 months clean, you should be fine.

Ramcon1

Idk but there was once a thread on here where a bunch of posters said taking Prilosec gave them some similar sxs  as benzo w/d. I’m not really sure what to conclude but I took Prilosec for a short time and it made me depressed and couldn’t eat and dizzy. This was before benzos. I tapered off Prilosec and as I went lower, the side effects improved and went away completely when I stopped. I only took it a total of 6-7 wks and that includes my quick taper off.

I'm on it.. but I really do want to get off, it is not meant for long term use and inhibits the absorption of many vitamins and calcium. Plus you need your stomach acid to fight off bugs and yeast and SIBO etc. Anyway I plan to taper it after I am done with the Valium. Not looking forward to it!!

This is sobering:

The drug interaction with the greatest clinical importance is the reduction in benzodiazepine clearance by omeprazole.

The PubMed study is here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11396546

I'm on Nexium, but I am 3 years off my taper. I sure would like to get off it . . . but when I quit, my GERD comes back.  :'( It's a problem.

Katz

My father had acid reflux and took all kinds of PPIs including Prilosec, Nexium, etc. Not only did they NOT help his stomach, they also triggered insomnia and anxiety! Sheesh. My poor dad! THEN bc he couldn't sleep, the doctors prescribed him Xanax and I totally lost my sh*t when I found out  >:(

I read this book called "Why stomach acid is good for you" -- check it out and look into digestive bitters. My dad was able to heal his stomach using bitters and other supplements such as DLG licorice, slippery elm, mastic gum, etc.

I was taking Prilosec while taking a very low dose of Ativan ... and I do suspect that the former caused a buildup of the benzo in my system, which possibly contributed to my withdrawal symptoms. :(  #MedicationSucks

Katz- you’ll probably have to taper the PPI. Just stopping it causes massive rebound acid, even in healthy controls who had no GERD to begin with. You’re an expert at tapering now...

I believe stomach acid is good for us too.

I discovered chocolate and black pepper give me reflux. And even ginger! 

Katz- you’ll probably have to taper the PPI. Just stopping it causes massive rebound acid, even in healthy controls who had no GERD to begin with. You’re an expert at tapering now...

That's good to know, libr. I had no idea  :(. Maybe that's why when I stop my 14 day course of treatment, the GERD comes roaring back. Ugh. So discouraging. I'll start tapering it.

Someone posted recently that a supplement with zinc and carnosine is gut-protective and helps GERD. Here is a selection of articles about this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1856764/

I might give the Zinc Carnosine a try. The poster recommended Drs. Best at amazon.

Katz

That's good to know, libr. I had no idea  :(. Maybe that's why when I stop my 14 day course of treatment, the GERD comes roaring back. Ugh. So discouraging. I'll start tapering it.

Someone posted recently that a supplement with zinc and carnosine is gut-protective and helps GERD. Here is a selection of articles about this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1856764/

I might give the Zinc Carnosine a try. The poster recommended Drs. Best at amazon.

Katz

After being on a PPI for any length of time, it is recommended to taper it. There is a study showing they gave PPI to healthy controls w/o heartburn and after taking PPI daily for some wks (I think 8 wks?), they stopped and got heartburn! BC of rebound acid production. They settled back to baseline after 3 mo of being off PPI. When on a PPI, the acid secreting cells increase substantially. Tapering allows a gradual decrease in these cells. So it will be another sx-based taper. Go down whatever increments you can and wait for the acid/heartburn to go away. Repeat. Some ppl do different doses on alternating days to taper- not sure that the pills can be split. I did a quick taper. Went from 40mg to 20 to 10mg (which was only available via Rx, even though 20 is OTC), just like 3 days at each step. And then I switched to Zantac 150 then 75 then I cut the 75s into smaller and smaller pieces over a couple wks. I had no rebound acid. But I was only on the PPI a total of 6-7 wks.  I guess Zantac has issues now so can’t necessarily use that.

Good luck!

Oh btw. About tapering- my fairly benzo-wise doctor said that anything you take more than a week should be tapered or at least expect some possible rebound sx when stopping. Even supplements. Of course won’t be true for everyone with every substance but interesting caution anyway.