LDN

[Kl...]

Hello

Down to .25 Klonapin daily. Have had horrible withdrawals-especial excruciating body pain- shoulders, back especially. Just started a water titration taper and hoping it helps with the symptoms. Also been very depressed and anxious.

I went to a doctor who suggested Low Dose Naltrexone for the pain. I really want to try it, but just read it can exacerbate symptoms. Has anyone had personal experience with this?

As far  as pain management,  I’ve had some help with 600-700mgs of gabapentin, but It makes me more depressed. I am trying to live a productive life, but it’s so, so hard. I had a really bad year coming down from .75 a day, and it is just getting harder. Any thoughts/ anecdotes about the LDN would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

I just read some promising information about this earlier today. I haven’t used it though, so hopefully someone chimes in with some experience with it.

I've been taking LDN for about 3 months. It was prescribed to help treat an autoimmune condition. I have not noticed any improvement with my autoimmune symptoms, but interestingly, I have noticed a definite improvement in my anxiety and depression - especially the morning anxiety that has plagued me during my taper. This is huge for me.

I started at 0.5mg and have very slowly gone up to 2mg (I plan to continue increasing to find optimal dose.)  The side effects for me are vivid dreams and frequent waking for a couple weeks after each dose increase. I can see where it might rev up withdrawal symptoms for some people. At first I was increasing the dose too fast and I experienced some agitation and racing heart in the middle of the night (I take it before bed.) From what I've read, it's important to take it slow if you are seeing side effects. I would guess that is especially true for someone whose CNS is stressed from benzo withdrawal.

I was hoping it would help with the muscle spasms/tightness in my back and neck. I have to say it does not seem to help with that, at least not at my current dose. But the mood benefits I've experienced are enough for me to keep taking it. 

Thank you for your very helpful reply! I think I will give it a try. I will post back here with my experience.  Glad you got a bit of anxiety/depression relief- I would take a bit of that!

• 2 weeks later...
I've been on it for 4 months for autoimmune disease. It's an interesting med. Most people need to take a day or two off every week or it can make you depressed and lethargic. But the days that it does work, it works very well. In the beginning it helped with my brain fog so much that I felt like a different person. I'm still trying to work out the kinks and find the regimen that's right for me.

• 1 month later...

Hi Klear12.  I've been on LDN (1 mg) for almost 4 years for ME/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) which I've had for 33 years.  For me it's a miracle drug for pain - I also have back/neck osteoarthritis in addition to other kinds of pain from ME/CFS and peripheral neuropathy.  Between LDN and Tumeric (1,000 mg)  the only other pain meds I need are Alieve.  If it wasn't for LDN I'm pretty sure I'd have to be on the heavy duty stuff.  LDN also helps enormously with mood and cognition.  It's a very interesting drug!  The very few side effects I had only lasted briefly - like a day or less, except for vivid dreams.  Not nightmares, just vivid dreams.  :)  Everyone has to find their sweet spot and I started at .05 and slowly graduated up to 4 mg, but ended up feeling best at 1 mg. 

I've been on Xanax 4 x daily for 20+ years and began doing a dry cut slow taper in Oct.  I've only had a little anxiety and edginess with each cut....so far. fingers crossed. 

I am wondering if being on LDN might make tapering easier.    I came across this study showing how ultra low dose Naltrexone lessened opiate withdrawal symptoms.  I realize opiate receptors are different than benzo receptors, but since no one has studied LDN and benzo withdrawal (that I'm aware of),  maybe it will be a plus for me.  Here's a link to that study.

Very low dose naltrexone addition in opioid detoxification: a randomized, controlled trial

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657183/

LDN has worked wonders for many different autoimmune conditions.    Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted how you're doing with it.  :)