Anyone who knows anything about topamax

[oc...]

Hey,

Last year I started a taper of topamax but I knew very little about it because there is so little infomation about this drug and the WD symptoms that come with it.

I had been on topamax for 20 years and depakote for 10 before that. I was on a very high dosage of topamax as well, 200mg twice a day.

But last year in the summer  I started getting so odd problems -- I started having fatigue and dry mouth and started having some weird pain electrical zaps in my head that kept me up all night. So I decided that it was probably the topamax that i had been on for so long.

I found a doctor (after going to three) that would taper me but she did it wrong, I know that now. She tapered me off about 75-80 percent of the medication in about 5-6 weeks. For the next 6-8 month I was in horrible WD. I had dozens of symptoms.

At the time I didnt know anything about WD and didnt know what I was going thru. A couple months into WD I actually discovered BB and found that a lot of the WD symtpoms that people who were tapering or CTing benzo were having matched my symptoms.

I was having so many problems at the time that my ignorant doctor put me on xanax early on and I also had to do a taper of that.

Long story short is that  I know very little about topamax and how it works. I have read a few different things. I assumed it worked like benzo did by down regulating the gaba receptors but now I am reading something else. I was hoping there would be someone in here that was familiar with topamax and how it works that could give a little better understanding to how drugs like topamax, which is a mood stabalizer from what I understand, works.

Drugs like topamax are different because if you end up on a high dose like me I think you tend to stay on that high dose for the rest of your life.  I am thinking thats why I had such a hard time getting a doctor to help me get off the medicine.

Any info or replies would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...