Sporadic temazepam use for 18 months

[ke...]

Hi everyone,

For 18 months now, I take temazepam for occasional insomnia, on average I take about 5 to 6 7.5 mg temazepam at night per month for insomnia, could it be possible that temazepam is causing those occasional insomnia? I feel fine on the days I don't take temazepam, the only problem for the last 18months was this sporadic insomnia that seems come and go at random times.

I'm clueless and need help

Thanks,

kelvinBz

Most likely.  I took Temazepam too but 30mg at night for sleep.  Do you take 5 - 6.75 every night?  Benzos actually end up causing the conditions they are used to treat.  If you are taking for insomnia, they can easily cause insomnia after the drug stop working at the current dose.  I wish I would have never taken them for insomnia and just learned to deal with an off night of poor sleep here and there.  The idea that you need 8 hours per night is a myth.  Learn to deal with occasional insomnia without drugs.  CBT is just as effective for insomnia as Benzos for most people.  Benzos work by doing the job of GABA.  GABA is what makes you calm and relaxed so you can sleep.  Glutamate is what makes you active and alert.  Both are in a constant balancing act with each other.  When GABA gets temporarily messed up from Benzos, then Glutamate takes over and you can't sleep and often feel wired.  I would taper off or quit, especially if they are not helping you any longer.  You probably reached "tolerance" or where the drug doesn't do what it's designed to do at the current dose.  BTW, Benzos are meant for 2-4 weeks of use max, not 18 months.  This shows that the prescribing doctor is CLUELESS and will not acknowledge Benzo withdrawal.  Good luck!