Low dose Valium taper timeline?

[Mi...]

Hi bbs!

About a week ago I added 1.25mg Valium to my Oxazepam taper due to interdose wd which seems to be helping! If all goes well I will be off the Oxazepam within a month and left with 1.25mg Valium to taper. Any advice on how to taper off the 1.25mg Valium? I was on v before and tapered that at the same time as gabapentin and suffered horrible wd, but because I did it simultaneously I’m not sure which was causing the wd! I was only taking about 3.5mg v when tapering and stopped over 2 weeks (was on for about 2 months). Any advice or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Hi Miracle, I was on pills but then found a pharmacy to compound and titrate an oral solution for me since there is no liquid Valium here in  Canada.  If you are interested in titrating, ask for assistance on the Titration thread.  For me, doing a daily micro taper by going down a tiny bit of liquid each day has been better I believe than doing a huge cut at once and holding.  You get to the same number by both methods, which for me is a 10% cut every 2 weeks, just in different ways.  Some people go at a slower rate some people seem to handle a bit faster, it all depends on your symptoms. I think my SX's would be way worse if I was doing a cut and hold, but some people on here prefer that method and did not do well on liquids.  For me it was no problem switching over from pills to a liquid.  Maybe others will chime in with some advice.  All the best, ❤ BLL

Miracle, just a suggestion....also put your question on The Valium Support Group and even the

3,2,1 group, it will get a lot more readers and hopefully suggestions  ;)

Just go yo home page and scroll down until you see Support Groups, click that, and scroll down again.

Mary 💜

Well, unless something changes, I plan on doing a slow daily liquid micro taper, which I can control, and make it a symptom based taper.  If that sounds like something that interests you, you can read on the Titration Taper Thread on Homepage, and put a question on there for builder to help you develop a plan. You can mix pills and 100% whole fat milk, pills and alcohol, it's just a tiny bit of alcohol, or the same stuff the pharmacy uses to mix medicines.  They also have a liquid Diazapam, which I am thinking about starting, which a lot of people like to use.  It's very easy and as low as you are, could be a good choice for you.  Make it as simple as possible and take your time, watch those symptoms, hold when you need too, then continue on, if you watch those symptoms and catch them ramping quickly, you can keep them from getting bad.  This is all just my opinion, and a suggestion.  ;). I'm sorry, I thought you would get more replies.  I am not below 3 mgs yet, but hoping to be there one day  :).  Good luck Miracle.  Time and patience  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Update: I jumped off my serax dose 3 days ago and started tapering the Valium. Going slower in comparison with the Valium but if I don’t have any major sxs in 10 days(ish) the idea is to be off in just about 2 weeks. Insomnia has been pretty brutal the past few nights, but even with benzos it was bad. I think it will just take time for my body to get back on track. I am hopeful I can discontinue these last crumbs of Valium with ease!

Congrats on your jump off oxazepam! I will be jumping next weekend. It will be such a relief not having to take my meds four times a day (including one in the middle of the night)! Good luck tapering the V. I'm sure it will go well.

Thank you! I am sure you’ll be fine with your jump too. I actually feel better in a lot of ways since the jump. I can feel the chemicals in my body even in minute doses and I feel worse now when taking just a crumb of Valium. Here’s to brighter and better days ahead  :)

So, I just finished my Valium taper about 2-3 weeks ago and am doing relatively OK. Even though the dose is low and you haven't been on it for long, I still advocate for a slow and steady approach. I wasn't on Valium for more than a year, but I took my time on the last 2mg and honestly wouldn't change a thing. I did around 0.01mg per day via liquid titration (thankfully, my doctor was willing to prescribe a solution made by Roxane labs that was propylene glycol / ehtylene glycol based), and while it took me a long time, it was a relatively smooth ride, and I could always adjust my taper speed based on my symptoms. I actually had to slow down a bit on the lower doses, but everyone is different. I learned early on that even though the dose was small, I had to respect it. I failed a CT, failed by making too large of a cut (I tried cutting from 2mg to 1.5mg and just couldn't tolerate it / function), so for me, slow and steady won the race and I honestly feel really good right now after walking off (yes, I dragged it all the way down to 0.01mg but wouldn't change a thing). Feel free to DM me. I feel like our journeys are actually quite similar.

Thanks so much for your reply! I’m about a week into the taper and I have sxs daily (mostly brain sensations and cog fog) but same sxs I’ve had the whole ride down from oxazepam etc too. I plan to be off in a couple of weeks now as long as I can keep steady where I am. Thanks for the support. I’d hate to take longer getting off than I was on the Valium!