Off 24 Years - Return of Symptoms

[Ra...]

I have been off benzos and all medications for over 24 years and most of the time my anxiety disorder is gone. However three times under stress my anxiety returned with the exact same symptoms I had from benzos and never had with anxiety.

I am in a huge, totally disabling episode now from not that much stress - anxiety is painful but this is the torture of benzo damage. Anyone else have this happen

Do other symptoms return as well as anxiety?  I am noticing that I am getting waves WITHOUT the anxiety returning but the physical symptoms (electrical feelings, Muscle and bone aches)… I am sure hoping that the frequency of these waves continue to decline. I am sorry that is happening to you so far off.  Self care, be gentle with yourself and lots of rest. 

Wow Razz.  After 24 years, that's just amazing.  I do think our body's "learn" how to react to certain things during withdrawal.  I hope that your wave doesn't last too long.  How are you coping with the stressful even in your life?  Are you sleeping okay?  What are your symptoms?

• 3 weeks later...

Now I understand why the newbies freak out about the Protracted Board.

Sorry to hear you're still dealing with it...hope it passes soon.

For all of us!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been off benzos and all medications for over 24 years and most of the time my anxiety disorder is gone. However three times under stress my anxiety returned with the exact same symptoms I had from benzos and never had with anxiety.

I am in a huge, totally disabling episode now from not that much stress - anxiety is painful but this is the torture of benzo damage. Anyone else have this happen

Anxiety and panics are also a very natural state.. even for people that never touched benzos. You're talking like it's absolutely unacceptable to be in panic or anxiety.. it's part of the human experience

Geez, this is so scary to read. 24 YEARS???

What happened???

I believe 50shades. Maybe you're equating the normal anxiety from benzo anxiety? What is different from the normal wear-and-tear we all go through? I know with benzo anxiety I feel something building that's unlike what I ever experienced in my life beforehand. I know the feeling so well now.

Anxiety and panics are also a very natural state.. even for people that never touched benzos. You're talking like it's absolutely unacceptable to be in panic or anxiety.. it's part of the human experience

No, I don't think so. Seem pretty common for people to have exaggerated anxiety when the are coming off benzos. What the poster is talking about is not run of the mill anxiety but disabling episodes.

My anxiety is FAR greater than the anxiety I had when I started Xanax. Totally brutal. Not a natural state at all.

My anxiety is FAR greater than the anxiety I had when I started Xanax. Totally brutal. Not a natural state at all.

You've got that absolutely right. In all my years, I had NEVER felt (before benzos) what I feel now with the benzo anxiety. Totally foreign, scary, and unfortunately still going on because of all the mistakes I've made.

Yes, stress for those of us with really sensitive CNS's aka anxiety disorders is a curse. This is something I am still trying to get a handle on. :-(