Would DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) work for getting Clonazepam in solution?

[Et...]

I've been doing some reading and it appears that Lorazepam is QUITE soluble in DMSO - as a matter of fact 9g can be kept in solution with just 100mL of DMSO.

I can't find any other data on DMSO solubility for benzodiazepines but if lorazepam can be maintained in solution with DMSO, I do not see why other benzodiazepines could not.

DMSO is safe for internal consumption as well, unlike other solvents.

I've also heard that adding polyethylene glycol to water will make benzos go into solution.

Does anyone have any input on this?

I've never heard that about DMSO. Could you provide some reference links, ER?  I'd steer clear of the polyethylene glycol, though.  It's a pretty powerful laxative.  :-\

Here is the one from the manufacturer that shows solubility of various substances.

http://www.gaylordchemical.com/bulletins/bulletin102b/Bulletin102B.pdf

Here is a pretty good overview of DMSO

http://www.dmso.org/articles/information/muir.htm

It should be noted that DMSO is commonly used as a carrier for topical drugs - it is readily absorbed through the skin - but it appears to have very low toxicity. MSM is actually said to be more toxic than DMSO. There is definitely controversy about some of the outlandish claims for DMSO (such as - it cures cancer, arthritis, etc) but its use as a carrier for other drugs can not be disputed.

As for PEG, the solution was suggested to need between 2-5% PEG... it takes a lot more than that to induce the GI distress...

I've been doing some reading and it appears that Lorazepam is QUITE soluble in DMSO - as a matter of fact 9g can be kept in solution with just 100mL of DMSO.

I can't find any other data on DMSO solubility for benzodiazepines but if lorazepam can be maintained in solution with DMSO, I do not see why other benzodiazepines could not.

DMSO is safe for internal consumption as well, unlike other solvents.

I've also heard that adding polyethylene glycol to water will make benzos go into solution.

Does anyone have any input on this?

i have read that polyethylene glycol could be used for benzo suspension. I don't know how accurate the source of the info is; and i don't remember where i read it so i can't provide a link. BTW, polyethylene glycol is the active ingredient in Miralax.

Hey ER,

I don't know a thing about water titration or about creating a benzo solution in DMSO or other agents, so I'll leave that discussion to you and those who do.

Just thought I'd chime in about DMSO, as I just tried it as a linament on my back injury for the first time last night. As you've probably read, it's supposed to be excellent for muscle aches, pains, injuries etc. I got some DMSO gel and applied it very liberally all over my back at about 5 PM and again about 10 PM last night. It created a prickly itch for about an hour each time, but no ill effects other than that. At about 11 PM I was able to bend my back much further without pain than earlier in the day, so I was very encouraged.

And having only used the DMSO once, I am hesitant to badmouth it in any way, but here's the kicker for me:  I woke up this morning feeling much more revved up than usual. I just felt like I slept really lightly and felt a lot of muscle tension and system racing. It felt a lot like one does after a poor night's sleep after drinking much too much -- just as if my system was working HARD all night to metabolize something. DMSO is the only thing I took, so I suspect it may be the culprit. I took my blood pressure in the morning, as I always do and it was a full 25 points higher than the readings I've been getting lately. Now, I suppose all of these symptoms could be benzo withdrawal -- but, if so, let me just say that it didn't feel like any other morning. I won't say it was that much worse, just a lot different from any other morning I've had during withdrawal.

I've read a bit about DMSO too and I see that most everybody concurs that it is relatively safe, yet so are large doses of Vitamin B, yet a lot of people can't tolerate them during benzo withdrawal because it revs up their symptoms  i.e. some seemingly safe and benign substances may not be well-tolerated during withdrawal, as you probably know. That's what it felt like DMSO did to me, revved my system and my symptoms.

I just felt compelled to report this to you, in case you are contemplating ingesting DMSO. My intention is to proceed very cautiously and carefully i.e. with MUCH smaller and less frequent applications going forward with this stuff.

Best of luck to you,

Albie