Insomnia is back at 16 months out

[Al...]

Hi guys,

Im 16 months out and at the point where I thought i started  to turn the corner at least in the sleep department having had few months of decent sleep .However, this past few days insomnia returned and its brutal.Im taking amitriptyline 70 mg daily. It doesnt always work and i have to sometimes rely on mirtazapine or propranolol (some nights i have random adrenaline surges and/or rapid heart rate which prevents me from falling asleep). Im desperate for sleep as I absolutely cant function on little or no sleep.Im worried im gonna get hooked on another med for sleep. :-[ :-[ i feel like im back to square one in sleep department.i wonder what causes these set backs that late in wd and will i ever heal?

Xx

I know of one buddy that had terrible insomnia during withdrawal, finally got over it, wrote a success story, and then got hit with a really bad wave of insomnia a few months later. He got past the wave, though, and has been completely recovered for a year and a half now. His wave was so bad that he was even having some zero nights. But, like I said, he recovered.

I go hit by a month long wave at 18 months off after sleeping well for about 8 months.  It was brutal with 4 zero nights and lots of 1 or 2 hour nights.  It evened out.  I see you are still taking other Rx drugs to help with your sleep.  You can do what you want, but in my opinion that could be causing most of your sleep issues? No drug is "safe" or "effective!"  They all quit working at their current dose given enough time.  The reason the Amitriptyline isn't working is because you are reaching tolerance or have reached tolerance at the current dose?  Just because Amitriptyline doesn't work on GABA doesn't mean it's safe to take.  It can have it's own withdrawal?  And you CAN function on very little sleep.  I used to think I couldn't either but still went to work after not sleeping for 3 days in a row several times.  The 8 hours per night or else is a complete myth! I would taper off the other Rx drugs and let time do it's thing.  Just my opinion.  Ask MTFan for advice.  She was on Amitriptyline too and had much more severe insomnia than I did and made it through.  You can do this drug free!  :)