sleep is better

[sl...]

Hi all,

I have not been online in ages!! Partly because I am too afraid to tell that my sleep has been improved massively! And that if I write it down I get the problem back again. I know that sounds silly, but hardly sleeping for over a year was one of the hardest parts of my life (and I have been through a lot). I was only a very short time user of Temazapam for sleep problems due to work stress.

What do I think helped me:

- Time!

- getting pregnant: maybe the hormones helped, I don't really know

- not drinking any alcohol anymore. I hardly drank alcohol, but I loved 2 or 3 glasses of wine in the weekend. Ofcourse I could not do that anymore when pregant.

No, ofcourse I have a baby who never sleeps through the night, and keeps me up, BUT: I can fall asleep and actually feel like sleeping. When I was on benzowhithdrawal, sleeping never felt like sleeping. It was the weirdest feeling ever. It is so different from not sleeping because of a baby, workstress, a snoring husband etc. It is like toxic sleep after benzo!

My sleepcylcle started to get a little better after a year of stopping my short time benzo. I am still not an excellent sleeper. It is not 100% better, but this is liveable. If I am really tired and the baby is sleeping through the night, I can sleep for 8 hours again without interruption. This is a dream!!

There are night I only sleep 3 or 4 hours (not even straigth), but this still feels like sleep (again, this never felt like actually sleeping when on benzo).

On average I sleep like 6 hours a night now (with 2 or 3 interruptions from the baby). I think that is quite normal for persons with a baby. Without the baby and early work hours I could easily get the 7 or 8 hours I think.

So, still exhausted from lack of sleep, but from the baby and not from the benzowithdrawal I think.... because sleeping feels like sleeping again.

Hope everyone of you with sleep problems will hold on and not start benzo's again... Time will heal you...

Congratulations on the new baby sleepwhereyouare!!!  :smitten:

Honestly, it's much better to lose sleep because you have a new little one in your life rather then benzo withdrawal. 

My best to you and your family,

pianogirl  :smitten:

You have a great outlook and I’m sure that helps! Congratulations on the little one, good thing you again have the ability to fall asleep easily...moms need that!

Challis  :smitten:

I’m so glad you’re sleeping better! :) I know all too well just how terrible insomnia can be. It’s been my main symptom. Hopefully I’ll start sleeping better soon.

Thanks all. Also, i drink wine again in the weekends. 3 classes when ging out. And sometimes one or two classes at dinner. Als drink coffee again. This was impossible the first year.

Hi,

I remember you!  First of all congrats on the baby! Did you have a long stretch of 0-3hrs sleep?  How long did it take before you got anything resembling okay sleep? 

I have been stuck on 0-2hrs for a long time. It is hard to endure and demoralizing because there are no signs it is going to get better. 

Hi,

I remember you!  First of all congrats on the baby! Did you have a long stretch of 0-3hrs sleep?  How long did it take before you got anything resembling okay sleep? 

I have been stuck on 0-2hrs for a long time. It is hard to endure and demoralizing because there are no signs it is going to get better.

Thanks, It took about a year of benzo to be able to sleep 3 or 4 hours in a row, not even every night. After that, it slowly got better. I remember finding out I was pregnant and thinking: I cannot be a mother, because that means less sleep, and I already hardly sleep! I thought I could not be a sleepless mother. It would kill me. But things got better. Not sure if it was time, stop drinking wine in the weekends (although it was not much), pregnancy hormones…. All I know that my work stayed stressfull and sleep still got better. 

I think it was time without drinking wine in the weekends.

Hugs to you… not sleeping is sooo horrible.