Chemical imbalance

[Mi...]

I think we are starting to argue apples and oranges with a lot of transferred assumptions in relation to perspective/situation...

To pick it apart would do my head in, so ill step out...

:)

LOL! Cant Fly, I agree. BB sometimes becomes a place of nitpicking and differing over how we describe this weird stuff.

Since NONE of us know the entire truth, arguments are a waste of precious time. We are here to support each other, right?

east

I guess, -I know what you mean.. But we also need some topics to communicate over and take those few remaining brain cells (myself) for an exercising stroll in the park...  Which topics and where might be a question though..!!??

And on that note, cos thinking about this the other day ruined a good movie for me (so not “out” after all)... lol

I was wondering if the question wasnt more, -not IF a range of neurochemistry was amiss, but more one of if FLOODING our systems with a truck load of a SINGULAR (say serotonin from an SSRI) neurochemical might not be as ummm, productive as ones local psych might assume...??

Or perhaps just what, or in how much detail, are we defining as “Chemical Imbalance”  considering all feelings, action, thought, and function are, as far as I know, chemically based and implemented..

-And in this, I suspect a healthy supported digestive tract and/or other wholistic approaches in life, as others mention, might make said local psych’s prescription pad look pretty ordinary indeed..??

Well thats what I was pondering anyways... -More definitions..

I sure am NO expert, far from it, but I wouldnt mind a dollar for every time AD’s have been pushed my way since the accident 10yrs ago..!!

Sheesh, I thought oxycontin was a pretty good AD, -till it suddenly wasnt..!! :(

An apple a day keeps the Dr away..!!??

My best to All..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Th...]

• [Me...]

• [Ca...]

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I believe in the chemical imbalance theory.  I’m 99% sure my panic attacks and depression were related to ecstasy use and alcohol.  I was on top of the world right before my depression started.  It made no sense.  I simply believe some wires got tripped up in my brain.

I actually had a neurotransmitter test done, and got the results back yesterday. The whole chemical imbalance is real. My seratonin was extremely low, dopamine really high and GABA really really high, almost double what it should be. That was just my neurotransmitters, I'm sure my hormones are completely imbalanced as well.

Can I ask what kind of test this was?

My Neuro says there is a new kind of scan for this bit is only one in UK and only used for research purposes atm.

Says the urine tests etc are of no use at all.

Greek - has anyone ever mentioned ME/CFS to you?

You can have exact the same neurotransmitters at a low level if you are suffering from an allergic disease.

Same regarding hormones. Chemical imbalance seen on  these markers is NOT a sign for depression, a lot of diseases and conditions come with similar markers.

I recall reading/watching something which stated that "chemical imbalance" is a pharma coined term/condition for marketing purposes.

As far as I've researched, there is no way to determine/prove if a living human has a chemical imbalance in their brain.  I'm curious if anyone have any information that there is?

See: 

for transcript of a Ted talk that describes how the first antidepressant was discovered.  Patients becoming "inappropriately happy" was a side effect of a drug developed to treat tuberculosis.

I don't think it's an either/or thing. Can start out a psychological thing and become 'hard-wired' or can be a chemical thing from the get-go. But who knows - I surely don't. I don't trust supplements trade. What I do trust that ultimately, depression is all about the level of awareness - that's another subject. I'm been heavily depressed since about age 10 and had been off/on anti-depressants since late teens. I've gotten off those since about 2 months and having a hell of a time. Last 3.5 yrs. off Benzos has been a freaking nightmare of depression/anxiety/DP/DR, etc. etc.