Fear of Medical Procedures

[...]

I just got home from a visit with a urologist  He performed Cystoscopy, which is a bladder and urinary track test which I found to be extremely stressful.  In the office, you are not given an anastasia, just a local spray or something down there before they start.  For people who are extremely nervous about it, as I was, this procedure can be done in a hospital where you're knocked out.  He asked me if I thought I'd be able to go through it again, in the office, if it were necessary, and I said that I didn't know. The test showed no major problems, which was a relief. I have to take a low dose antibiotic (Cipro) four times over the next 24 hours. 

This presents a dilemma, should I need to have this performed again, in the future.  I don't want to spend all day in a hospital for a test that takes a few minutes, but I don't want to screw up in the office, due to anxiety and panic. I've been off benzos for 20 months, and doing OK.  Would it ruin my withdrawal and set me back were I to take a benzo for an medical procedure once in a while?  How about the hospital, with anesthesia, would those drugs affect me badly? 

I have to go in and have my bladder checked every 3 months for 2 years. They have to go up the urethra to check and see how my bladder is doing. But I'm more concerned about the Cipro. They always ask me right off the bat if I want it, and I tell them no, I would like the Keflex. Cipro is quite toxic. You do have a choice.

I had bladder surgery and asked for 4 mg. Valium. Although it didn't do much for my anxiety, I had no repercussions from it. If they knock you out, Propofol is a good anesthesia. I had that with no problems, and I'm VERY sensitive to pills. I've been off a long time, though. But I have TERRIBLE anxiety when it comes to anything medical.

What I don't understand is why you have to take the antibiotic 4 times over 24 hours. I only have to take 1 pill. That's all, thankfully, because I'm extremely sensitive to antibiotics.

I have to go in and have my bladder checked every 3 months for 2 years. They have to go up the urethra to check and see how my bladder is doing. But I'm more concerned about the Cipro. They always ask me right off the bat if I want it, and I tell them no, I would like the Keflex. Cipro is quite toxic. You do have a choice.

I had bladder surgery and asked for 4 mg. Valium. Although it didn't do much for my anxiety, I had no repercussions from it. If they knock you out, Propofol is a good anesthesia. I had that with no problems, and I'm VERY sensitive to pills. I've been off a long time, though. But I have TERRIBLE anxiety when it comes to anything medical.

What I don't understand is why you have to take the antibiotic 4 times over 24 hours. I only have to take 1 pill. That's all, thankfully, because I'm extremely sensitive to antibiotics.

Hi, and thanks for your reply!

I have no  idea why I have to take the antibiotic 4 times, which is every twelve hours today and tomorrow.  He broke two pills in half and put them in small manila envelope. I made a typo, it's not to be taken over 24 hours, it's over 48 hours.

I was concerned about my ears, as there is a connection between antibiotics and hearing problems, as I already have tinnitus, so I asked him for something very mild. He told me that Cipro is not ototoxic. I wish I had known about Keflex, but I'm going to take the Cipro and hopefully I'll be OK. I'm sure that he hands out Cipro all day, to patients.  I'm not very good at arguing with doctors, even if I believe I'm right.

Have you taken it yet? I would tell him that I'd like the Keflex and see what he says. I told the urologist I have problems with Cipro, and he shrugged his shoulders and just gave me Keflex.

But if you can't do that, hopefully using Cipro for one day won't be a problem. It's just that people going through benzo recovery/withdrawal have had real, long-lasting problems from it.

Have you taken it yet? I would tell him that I'd like the Keflex and see what he says. I told the urologist I have problems with Cipro, and he shrugged his shoulders and just gave me Keflex.

But if you can't do that, hopefully using Cipro for one day won't be a problem. It's just that people going through benzo recovery/withdrawal have had real, long-lasting problems from it.

Thanks, I think that my benzo withdrawal is totally over. I have not taken a benzo for 20 months.  I'm sleeping well, not depressed, not worried, have energy, etc. 

I have 3 more half-pills to take over the next 42 hours.  Unfortunately, I don't know the dosage, as it was not from the drug store and I can't make out the symbols on the broken pieces.

Thanks, I think that my benzo withdrawal is totally over. I have not taken a benzo for 20 months.  I'm sleeping well, not depressed, not worried, have energy, etc. 

I have 3 more half-pills to take over the next 42 hours.  Unfortunately, I don't know the dosage, as it was not from the drug store and I can't make out the symbols on the broken pieces.

It sounds as if everything will go well if you're over withdrawal. GOOD LUCK!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It sounds as if everything will go well if you're over withdrawal. GOOD LUCK!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks and best of luck with your medical and health issues!

• 1 month later...

This presents a dilemma, should I need to have this performed again, in the future.  I don't want to spend all day in a hospital for a test that takes a few minutes, but I don't want to screw up in the office, due to anxiety and panic. I've been off benzos for 20 months, and doing OK.  Would it ruin my withdrawal and set me back were I to take a benzo for an medical procedure once in a while?  How about the hospital, with anesthesia, would those drugs affect me badly?

It's not a dilemma. You're a "normal" person again. Congrats.

Don't worry. Take a small dose of whatever and don't worry about panic at the office. Plus, now that you've done it once it's that much less scary.