Tapering V, go to bed, fall sleep at 11 wake at 12

[md...]

Wondering if this happens to anyone else? Tapering V, go to bed, fall sleep at 11 wake at 12 With sweats, rapid heartbeat and othe Symantec cannot fall back asleep?  Wondering if I should switch to another benzo to complete taper? Anyone one else similar?

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty much how i've been sleeping for days on end. I can't remember the last say i slept  more than 5 hours.

The only difference is that i wake up curled in the fetal position, all my muscles are highly tense and i'm breathing very shallow.

I was wondering if i should switch to valium as well to continue tapering, as described in the ashton method.

I wish you get better soon

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if this happens to anyone else? Tapering V, go to bed, fall sleep at 11 wake at 12 With sweats, rapid heartbeat and othe Symantec cannot fall back asleep?  Wondering if I should switch to another benzo to complete taper? Anyone one else similar?

At this point in your taper, nothing is going to give you a good night of sleep.  Most cross over to Valium because of the long half life and the greater chance of less intense symptoms.  Moving to another shorter acting Benzo won't help.  Sleep or lack of it was my worst symptom and I had a lot of other symptoms.  Lack of sleep won't kill you.  Your body will get all the sleep it needs before anything bad can happen to you.  Unfortunately "true" or lasting healing won't happen until you are completely off of the V.  I would learn coping skills, gratitude for what little sleep you get and acceptance.  Reaching for another Rx drug to put you to sleep is not the answer IMO.  Everything you are describing in terms of symptoms is "normal" as you get closer to the end of your taper.  Hang in there.  It WILL get better, but will be UP and DOWN for some time.

Thank you, I have been getting suggestions to up dose to higher mg on V to try to stabilize and then continue to taper, but I am scare to do this and if it fails and then I have to taper all the way back down adding many more months? Wdyt?

Thank you, I have been getting suggestions to up dose to higher mg on V to try to stabilize and then continue to taper, but I am scare to do this and if it fails and then I have to taper all the way back down adding many more months? Wdyt?

That's only a decision you can make. But I had a similar issue when I was tapering from Valium. I just decided to continue tapering. My thoughts were that I didn't want to prolong the process any longer than I had too.

That said, I had a phone call with Dr. S. Wright who presented on the Benzo Withdrawal Symposium recently. He is now recommending a 12-18 month taper. Would that be better than my six month taper? I don't know. I felt like I didn't want the process to drag on any longer than it absolutely had to. I wanted healing to start sooner.

One thing for sure, it has been an unpleasant experience!

Edit: Typo.

Thinkstopthink,

Thank you for sharing! I see you are done tapering. How are you doing now and how long did it take you yo feel better? Idk what dose you were on, but I should have stated at 12 mg of V, but I started at 8 and was transitioned and tapered t fast (transitioned in 1 week, tapered 1 mg per week until I hit 6 ) I am at 5.75 mg right now and would like to keep going in hopes this will pass once done tapering, but do not want to risk PWS and would up dose if I could better understand if this in fact would correct everything?

Thinkstopthink,

Thank you for sharing! I see you are done tapering. How are you doing now and how long did it take you yo feel better? Idk what dose you were on, but I should have stated at 12 mg of V, but I started at 8 and was transitioned and tapered t fast (transitioned in 1 week, tapered 1 mg per week until I hit 6 ) I am at 5.75 mg right now and would like to keep going in hopes this will pass once done tapering, but do not want to risk PWS and would up dose if I could better understand if this in fact would correct everything?

Well... I'm not doing so great. However! The weird visual symptoms and the DP/DR have stopped in the last month, so I think I'm healing. The horrible insomnia and brutal anxiety are still happening, but I think those are going to be the last symptoms to go. I've studied sleep pretty extensively and have had three polysomnograms, but I've always been sensitive to stress and it shows up in my sleep.

I was at 20mg of Valium split into two doses. I had some pretty severe interdose withdrawals (I didn't know that was what was happening at the time).

I can't tell you what to do. But, if it were me, I'd just try to follow a reasonable taper schedule and if symptoms become too great, hold for a time, and then continue.

You have to also realize that coming onto a forum gives you a skewed bias. Many people taper off benzos and have minimal problems. Those people don't stay on this forum. The people that are here are the ones having a hard time. So, you may not have any problem at all. Here is the rub: you won't know until you finish your taper. The best thing you can do is be prepared.

Have you read the Ashton Manual? Do you have a doctor that is overseeing your taper? I was lucky and had a doctor that knew about tapering.

The other things that I found really helpful were to exercise, eat cleanly (lower carbs, minimal sugar and caffeine), and try to get as much sleep as possible (read up on "Sleep Hygiene"). If you can be in the best possible shape, that will make the the tapering procedure go more easily.

My sleep is the worse and is what landed me back on these benzos so many times and know I have grown a tolerance to them. Even When I was taking .75 klonopin I was getting 3 hours of sleep. Now that I am at such a low dose Valium, I am only getting 1 to 2 hours and it's very broken in micro sleeps. I wake up in sweats, with rapid heartbeat, hot and cold, flu symptoms and bladder retention. My Dr wanted me to swithch back to Klonopin or Ativan as she thinks the Valium is not working for me? MY DR is not benzo wise and but is wiling to write scripts so its kind of all in my hands on how to move forward and I have no clue. I did read the Ashtom manual after I had already got myself into this mess, but here I am and I just do not want to be like this for longer than needed but also do not want to extend my taper. idk what to do? I tried to find a benzo wise Dr but there are none where I live...

My sleep is the worse and is what landed me back on these benzos so many times and know I have grown a tolerance to them. Even When I was taking .75 klonopin I was getting 3 hours of sleep. Now that I am at such a low dose Valium, I am only getting 1 to 2 hours and it's very broken in micro sleeps. I wake up in sweats, with rapid heartbeat, hot and cold, flu symptoms and bladder retention. My Dr wanted me to swithch back to Klonopin or Ativan as she thinks the Valium is not working for me? MY DR is not benzo wise and but is wiling to write scripts so its kind of all in my hands on how to move forward and I have no clue. I did read the Ashtom manual after I had already got myself into this mess, but here I am and I just do not want to be like this for longer than needed but also do not want to extend my taper. idk what to do? I tried to find a benzo wise Dr but there are none where I live...

In my opinion, I'd be wary of taking any type of benzo. They are just going to cause more issues with your sleep. But there are a number of other meds you can try. Have you done a polysomnagram to rule out any other sleep disorders?

I know these make a small difference, but they can help: diet, exercise, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
That is what happened to me. I hit a wall on my taper at 3 1/2 mg. Woke after 1 1/2 hr sleep. Pulse and bp sky high. Hot 🥵 That happened pretty often.