Antihistamine with Cortisol?

[...]

I’m in a terrible wave of early wakeups. It’s crushing me. I’m considering trying an antihistamine, but I’m worried that it won’t work because the cortisol surges are so strong that I’ll wake up *through* the sedation. Anybody have good results with antihistamines and early wakeups?? Thanks

I have taken a half a tablet of a unisom sleep tab three times over the past three weeks. It knocks me out and usually allows me to sleep through the night. But the next night, if I don't take them, I can't fall asleep easily.

You may or may not wake up even on an antihistamine. There’s really only one way to find out. Diphenhydramine and doxylamine are the otc ones that I know of. I’ve used both with some success from time to time, but I don’t have an issue with cortisol surges. And Boombox is right about their use needing to be intermittent in order to for them to remain effective.

Thanks guys. I tried it last night. Woke up to use the bathroom, but no severe cortisol surge. Went back to sleep. Bad fatigue this morning and kind of down and out. No huge difference.