• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Da...]

• [Co...]

• [Te...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ya?  You read that somewhere?  Well I read somewhere that people who post, ridiculous, fear mongering, health anxiety provoking posts often causes others a racing heart, head pressure and a belly ache. 

Be careful where you breathe today.  I read that this too can cause cancer.

BenzoCalamity,

This is a lousy thread you started.  It’s been started before.  Knock it off.  You’ve been around a long time.  You know better than to ask this question. 

By the way, the answer to your question is NO.  This thread should be pulled down by the admins.

edit: profanity

I give up.  Okay, everybody.  Start worrying that you’re going to get cancer on top of all your other fears.  This forum is so dangerous. 

Sofa

I'm with Sofa on this. This forum is not a healing place. (It's usefulness is increasingly limited to taper planning and success stories.)

A calm mindset does play a vital part in getting through this nightmare - I fail to see how threads such as this are allowed. No wonder people get trapped here for years....

I came to this thread because a Report to Moderator came in asking to remove it.

One thing BB does not and never has done is to squelch research or valid information. Anyone here is encouraged to search out and post whatever valid research that might rebut the links above.

I took benzodiazepines for the best part (or worst part) of 31 years. I don’t like what this research says either.

Challis

Millions of people get cancer each year.  Many people never took a benzo.  To post “research” such as this, which poses a possible connection between benzos and cancer, is not what I believe is in the best interests of the members of this forum (or anyone else for that matter).  I cannot think of one positive thing that can emerge from this.

Sofa

Millions of people get cancer each year.  Many people never took a benzo.  To post “research” such as this, which poses a possible connection between benzos and cancer, is not what I believe is in the best interests of the members of this forum (or anyone else for that matter).  I cannot think of one positive thing that can emerge from this.

Sofa

It may help people considering whether or not to take a benzodiazepine. I certainly agree it doesn’t add anything positive. 

There is more research that backs up the OP’s post, unfortunately.

Don’t shoot the messenger, folks, and don’t read these if you’re not up to it. For those seeking research results:

ncbi 2015: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4602739/

Mad in America 2016: https://www.madinamerica.com/2016/03/is-long-term-use-of-benzodiazepine-a-risk-for-cancer/

Thanks, Chal, will take a read.  Usually, it's quite easy to poke all sorts of holes in these types of studies, generally reinforcing that "correlation" / "association" is quite different from "causation".  I think once members have this understanding, it would serve to quash that immediate knee jerk fear reaction and, instead, provide peace of mind.  Critical thinking, folks, read the full study and you'll see for yourselves.  Not scary, nothing to worry about. :thumbsup:

I give up.  Okay, everybody.  Start worrying that you’re going to get cancer on top of all your other fears.  This forum is so dangerous. 

Sofa

And you're probably scaring people half to death thinking that someone could suffer so badly after taking a milligram or two of benzos over a 2-3 month period.  It's not the first time I (and others) have called you out about this and yet it appears to be water off a ducks back.  According to all your survivingantidepressants.org posts, as well as your early posting history here, it's all there in very plain view that your issues resulted from cold turkey longterm high doses of *GABAPENTIN* and cold turkeys from longterm, high dose opiates, in quick succession. 

I think a little more transparency and honesty from you also is in order.  SMH.

Sofa

It may help people considering whether or not to take a benzodiazepine. I certainly agree it doesn’t add anything positive. 

“Helping people considering whether or not to take a benzodiazepine” is a moot point.  Everyone on this forum has taken a benzo.  Who you are trying to help are not members of this forum.

Sofa

Sofa

I read it and my Benzo is amongst the dangerous ones.....no way will I start worrying about cancer now or stress myself ....life in general is too short for that.

'' The connection between your emotional (psychological) health and physical health is very complex. Psychological stress can affect your body. Some studies suggest a link between various psychological factors and an increased risk of developing cancer.

cancer risk factors linked to stress

Stress can weaken your immune system. Your immune system defends your body against infections and diseases, such as cancer. A weakened immune system plays a role in the development of some types of cancer.

Stress can alter the levels of certain hormones in your body. This may also put you at greater risk of developing cancer. ''

This is a classic case of correlation,  not causation. I am trained and experienced with interpreting this kind of information, it is more often than not misleading. Stressed and ill people are more likely to take benzodiazepines. They are also more likely to get cancer. Alcoholics are more likely to use benzos, and more likely to have cancer. People WITH CANCER are more likely to use benzos. Etc etc ad infinitum . Does not mean benzos = cancer. Not to say there’s no way it’s possible, just that this data doesn’t mean anything.

I don’t get the point of this thread but wanted to stem the fear this will obviously incite.

Lots of ugliness on this thread.

And the members posting calmly on here, thinking 'critically' about the 'value' of these kinds of studies, are clearly much further out than the newbies who are still in acute - dealing with moment-by-moment panic and health anxiety. Not that most of the posters seem to care.

This is a classic case of correlation,  not causation. I am trained and experienced with interpreting this kind of information, it is more often than not misleading. Stressed and ill people are more likely to take benzodiazepines. They are also more likely to get cancer. Alcoholics are more likely to use benzos, and more likely to have cancer. People WITH CANCER are more likely to use benzos. Etc etc ad infinitum . Does not mean benzos = cancer. Not to say there’s no way it’s possible, just that this data doesn’t mean anything.

I don’t get the point of this thread but wanted to stem the fear this will obviously incite.

Thank you for alleviating my fear. I really appreciate your reply.

I read some studies that say they can!  :'(

“On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.” ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club.

I'm sure the studies say that. Will it happen to you? Probably not. But, in the interest of being proactive, do this:

Print out the studies. Go see your GP and have him/her get your a referral to an oncologist. Discuss your fears.

To all others, I didn't post this topic just to stir you up or spread fear amongst you!

I posted this because I myself was scared to death and panicking after reading some studies online and wanted to get some sort of assurance from other "well-informed" bb members that no this is not true or at least very highly unlikely!

Where would I turn to if I don't turn to benzobuddies that have given me a lot of support throughout my withdrawal?!

Peace and love to all :smitten: 

Lots of ugliness on this thread.

And the members posting calmly on here, thinking 'critically' about the 'value' of these kinds of studies, are clearly much further out than the newbies who are still in acute - dealing with moment-by-moment panic and health anxiety. Not that most of the posters seem to care.

I'm not saying I endorse this thread at all, in fact I rolled my eyes, "Here we go again, stirring the pot time".  These types of threads pop up all the time, they're not going away and I felt there was certainly value in my post as well as ICAN who is apparently"trained and experienced with interpreting this kind of information" saying the very same thing.  Moving forward the hope would be it could help alleviate fear the next time around.  And the next and the next. 

Many members still dealing with severe panic and health anxiety choose to make homes for themselves in the blog area or create support groups where they can restrict their reading until such time as they feel less sensitized.  When I first joined, I too restricted my reading and spent much of my time in Accentuate the Positive.  It's a thought.

Where would I turn to if I don't turn to benzobuddies that have given me a lot of support throughout my withdrawal?!

I understand BenzoCalamity..... :smitten:

I understand BenzoCalamity..... :smitten:

Thank you Morreweg  :smitten:

I'm with Sofa on this. This forum is not a healing place. (It's usefulness is increasingly limited to taper planning and success stories.)

A calm mindset does play a vital part in getting through this nightmare - I fail to see how threads such as this are allowed. No wonder people get trapped here for years....

As a protracted member, I would like to suggest that the reason we are here for years is because of the adverse effects of benzodiazepines and the severity of benzodiazepine withdrawal.  It is quite wrong to blame the forum which has provided a lifeline to so many of us during what has probably been one of the worst, if not the worst, times of our lives.  Reading about the suffering of others will not have a calming effect but that is what the forum is for, to discuss what we are going through as well as our fears.  The opening poster was clearly alarmed by what she had read and was asking for reassurance.