Clonazepam To Alprazolam ~ Not Getting Any Better

[Se...]

I failed a crossover from alprazolam to clonazepam back in November.  I’m sure part of the reason was, at the time, I was still on 2.5mg/day alprazolam and was prescribed 1mg/day clonazepam.  Obviously not an equivalent dosage for a successful crossover.  I didn’t know then what I know now!

Anyway, I don’t think clonazepam has ever agreed with me and like many of us, I was on it too long when I realized I couldn’t just stop taking it.

I was thinking now of increasing alprazolam dose while lowering clonazepam dose until I’m off it.  I can then resume my alprazolam taper.  I know the half life story of both.  I was feeling poorly on just alprazolam when I started this taper but was at 4mg/day back then too.  It’s been more than a year and I’m still feeling nauseated, paresthesia, tinnitus, insomnia, weight loss, etc every day.

My current alprazolam dose is .42mg/day.  I take five divided, equal doses. Clonazepam is .72mg with three equal doses. 

I could convert to 1.25mg/day alprazolam and DLMT taper from there.  It is a huge step backwards and I worked so hard to get to .42mg but I just don’t feel any better.  Ever. I don’t want to try Valium and Ashton.  I at least have experience with alprazolam.

I just don’t feel I'm making any forward progress without daily suffering. I’m waiting for my doc to call to run it by him.  He’s not the doc who prescribed clonazepam but he did originally prescribe alprazolam.

Is this a crazy idea?

I really would like lots of input and discussion!

Thanks for your help.

My proposed conversion:

Current doses:  Alprazolam .42mg/day

Clonazepam .72mg/day

Week 1:  Increase alprazolam .50mg; total .92mg/day

Decrease clonazepam .25mg; total .47mg.day

Week 2:  Increase alprazolam .25mg; total 1.17mg/day

Decrease clonazepam .25mg; total .22mg/day

Week 3:  Stop clonazepam (may need to add some alprazolam...symptom based)

Hold 1.17 to 1.25mg/day alprazolam dose for 10 days then resume taper.

Does this sound reasonable?  What I’ve been doing for a year is not working.  Symptoms have increased over time I think because clonazepam does not agree with me.  I tried dosing clonazepam three times a day.  Symptoms increased.  I’m back to twice a day dosing as of today.

I really need input here.

Please respond.  Thanks.

I have taken alprazolam but not clonazepam, so my input may not be worth much.

I tapered from 2mg to .25mg (before BB) with totally up and down dosing, obviously generally down over time. Each day’s dose could be different from the next by .5mg or more. I dosed completely by symptoms. It worked in large part because alprazolam has such quick action.

If I were on clonazepam I might consider getting off of it by using alprazolam as needed to switch back over.  I’m not suggesting that you should try this, I realize it runs counter to what Ashton advises. I’m sorry this is such a struggle for you.

Thanks for taking time to respond Challis. 

I spoke with the doc yesterday and have an appointment on Monday.  I really think clonazepam is the culprit here.  I know it goes against Ashton as far as shorter vs. longer acting benzos. 

When I meet with the doctor there may be some tweaks to the tapering schedule but I’m pretty sure it’s the best thing to do for me after more than a year of hell.

Praying it’s the right choice.

I took both Xanax and klonopin. While no benzo is good, I’ll say it was much easier on me to taper off the K. Xanax gave me just terrible interdose withdrawal. A truly nasty thing and best be on as few benzos as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

This plan has been scrapped.  Quick summary...decreased alprazolam, increased clonazepam.  I’ll continue to taper off alprazolam.  See signature.

Trying to climb out of this hell but the steps are greased with hot oil. 

💜

Omg. I started taking clonazepam because i was having multiple withdrawals from alprazolam every day. That's when I realized these drugs are bad and that was 6 years in. Hey, atleast I wasn't truly losing my mind. Just the xanax.