This Is Life With Lisa Ling

[Ms...]

I am thrilled to announce that Krissy, a benzodiazepine survivor serving on BIC's General Advisory Board, along with several other members of the community and their families, will be featured this season in an hour long episode on This Is Life With Lisa Ling on CNN. We hope to show the world the true depths of benzodiazepine harm and thank everyone who stepped up and shared their experience.

This show should air October 6, although this could be changed.

The preview video is on facebook. I think anyone can watch it signed in our not.  Krissy is shown about 8 seconds in.

https://www.facebook.com/Ling/videos/230917657811755/UzpfSTk0MzU3NDcwNTcxMzY1MzoyOTUzOTUyMDA0Njc1OTAz/

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Qu...]

• [Ms...]

• [no...]

• [th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

BIC is doing some wonderful, unprecendented, groundbreaking work, MAB!! I'm thrilled to know this, and a big THANK YOU TO ALL INVOLVEDl!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm just curious: How long has Krissy been off Klonopin? I so hope that we protracted people are also served by this. It's horrible to go through years of pain and not have any doctors acknowledging our condition. I don't even say anything. It's useless to do so because I know I'd get a lot of flack and feel even worse for mentioning it. Worse yet, I'd probably be laughed at.  :'(

Terry -

Thank you for your kind words. Krissy was tapering during the episode. I think people don't understand the first thing about it, unfortunately, so Benzo 101 is needed before awareness can expand even further. I'm hoping this episode will provide some much needed information about the problems people are facing. It's hard to know what approach they ultimately took but I hope it serves everyone well.

I am thrilled to announce that Krissy, a benzodiazepine survivor serving on BIC's General Advisory Board, along with several other members of the community and their families, will be featured this season in an hour long episode on This Is Life With Lisa Ling on CNN. We hope to show the world the true depths of benzodiazepine harm and thank everyone who stepped up and shared their experience.

The preview video is on facebook. I think anyone can watch it signed in our not.  Krissy is shown about 8 seconds in.

https://www.facebook .com/Ling/videos/230917657811755/UzpfSTk0MzU3NDcwNTcxMzY1MzoyOTUzOTUyMDA0Njc1OTAz/

link edited now doesn't work...how can i watch this?

https://www.facebook .com/Ling/videos/230917657811755/UzpfSTk0MzU3NDcwNTcxMzY1MzoyOTUzOTUyMDA0Njc1OTAz/

it's here as well:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B17YqgZHdU6/

Lisa Ling's Instagram, first video if that gets edited.

it's here as well:

all i get is a trailer and

SUNDAY Sept.29th. 10PM EST/PST on @cnnorigseries!!!

do you know where i can watch the interview and is it an instagram or fb only thing?

it's here as well:

all i get is a trailer and

SUNDAY Sept.29th. 10PM EST/PST on @cnnorigseries!!!

do you know where i can watch the interview and is it an instagram or fb only thing?

It's on CNN.

I am very excited for this show to air... but already concerned with the small amount of video clips in this link.  The worst case for us would be for anyone to see this episode and think that we are addicts.... I made those concerns quite clear to the producer at the beginning of this project.  I was going to be interviewed but was too messed up to participate properly but Bill took my emails/calls.  I agree that we need Benzo 101 first but if it is not seen as victims of medical malpractice then the story really goes out the window in terms of changing anything.  Let's hope for the best and THANK you for letting us know when this is going to air.

I am very excited for this show to air... but already concerned with the small amount of video clips in this link.  The worst case for us would be for anyone to see this episode and think that we are addicts.... I made those concerns quite clear to the producer at the beginning of this project.  I was going to be interviewed but was too messed up to participate properly but Bill took my emails/calls.  I agree that we need Benzo 101 first but if it is not seen as victims of medical malpractice then the story really goes out the window in terms of changing anything.  Let's hope for the best and THANK you for letting us know when this is going to air.

I'm totally excited. They said they're not going to call us addicts. I think that some people will see it that way no matter what though.

Is there ever  any talk of potential/future treatments, or is the energy behind keeping others from gettting injured?

Nobody knows we exist. It would be nice if people were more public about their situation overall I think. It would help a lot. Hiding doesn't show the numbers needed to show to gloss over that and talk/fund studying us.

That makes sense. I have been in a program for PTSd for awhile and so I have 3 psychiatrists and three therapists, and after they rapid tapered me off of my benzo, it took me 6 months to convince 2/3 of them that the benzo "might" be playing a role. OF course none of them know what to do about it. A few now believe. But that just makes them ineffectually sad. My mom sees me every day and it took her months to come around. no one WANTS to believe this; I think because they don't know what to do as result.

I'm surprised after 50 years no (few?)  family member or friend of someone afflicted who is in research has even thought to make this their area of interest. Seems like every oncologist had a parent or sibling die of cancer or go through treatment. I get that that wouldn't necessarily result in a "cure" but to just not have any real sustained interest is disquieting. There are conditions that afflict a tiny minority of people that are much better understood than this.

But it's great that his program will be airing. I watched the trailer. It seems very attention grabbing.

thanks again for all you do.

p.s. and I will say this, which I know that you know better than most; I believe people know we exist, the people who produce the drug and do their own in-house research and manipulate doctors. It's just that people who care don't know we exist, or aren't in positions to do all that much.

• 3 weeks later...

Any way to get the Administrators here to make this a "Thumbnail" or whatever is proper term for similar to that "FED Medwatch Program/Please Participate" in upper right of Community page? 

I only found this information through community wanderings & finding a link to this thread, from another.  And, this is Very Important information for bb members to have.  Is that trailer video on youtube, or only available by going through facebook or instagram? 

Media fail.  This show should be advertised on programming; not just people finding it by way of online.  And, yes, put faces on benzo dependency: professionals, housewives, retirees.  Stress dependency not addiction.  Of course, many of us are struggling too much to participate at all.  I've been "absent from life" entirely.  I haven't been further than my mailbox in 2 years. I look bedraggled/like a homeless person. I look nothing like who I was 2 years ago.  Looking as I do now, maybe, I'd be just the right depiction...to scare the medical profession into greater action of educating about this crisis - to the medical professionals, in particular.  And, therein lies one paradox.  The folks who are most paralyzed/crippled by this wouldn't be able to participate & the ones who are recovered enough, won't look as ruined as while in it.

..."Still feel the medical professionals, themselves, need to be further educated.  They've been prescribing these meds for at least 25 years, now...longer, counting valium & what's occurring now is that doctors' are just stopping prescriptions.  So, news of the dangers of benzo's are now known, but not how to responsibly & compassionately taper their patients off.  This is just cold-blooded treatment for the benzo-dependents that doctors & pharmaceuticals have created.  I would love to actually see a physician who is knowledgable & one who I feel I'd be able to trust, after feeling betrayed by the doctor who both put me on ativan, prescribed @ a high dosage for over a decade & then gave 1 extra refill w/news of stopping prescribing. - I feel, b/c he must have been questioned by new uber-group who'd absorbed his smaller group practice & been questioned why still prescribing - The only doctor I've seen in the last 3 years is ER doctor in April, so that was not at all a comprehensive medical visit & I did not speak of benzo at all.  I've seen far too many posts here that any sxs are not recognized by the medical professions as being benzo or benzo w/d-related.

I'm tired of "treating myself" & finding my only reliable sources on this travesty being through an online community of strangers w/out medical experience; only the same, or similar, dire circumstances.  Let's be honest: That's a scary situation.  I'm in constant pain..  No feeling better, nor even leveling off; rather, worsening.  What's additionally scary is that throughout searches here, I am not finding anyone else w/worsening pain.  And, then, again, that hopeless feeling of "So what, even if I do find a compatriot in this awful battle, w/that particular similarity; unless it's someone who's been in the medical field, it's still an online stranger".  And, this is the "best there is".  This is gross negligence on the part of doctors."

Thanks for posting about this & I will watch.  This is important.

Somebody already linked this somehow on this site and I watched it. The link no longer works. Its helpful somewhat but it doesn't go too in depth and mainly it talks about the dangers of tapering off too quick and what can happen during w/d and how benzo w/d might play a role in suicides but it never talks about how long w/d lasts are gives benzos all the credit they deserve in destroying lives. I love her and this show in general but I was hoping it would really shed better light on the issue. Its kinda hard to watch because it shows several people suffering and you know what they are going thru and how long it can last but the show doesn't show that it can go on and on like this.

Somebody already linked this somehow on this site and I watched it. The link no longer works. Its helpful somewhat but it doesn't go too in depth and mainly it talks about the dangers of tapering off too quick and what can happen during w/d and how benzo w/d might play a role in suicides but it never talks about how long w/d lasts are gives benzos all the credit they deserve in destroying lives. I love her and this show in general but I was hoping it would really shed better light on the issue. Its kinda hard to watch because it shows several people suffering and you know what they are going thru and how long it can last but the show doesn't show that it can go on and on like this.

I keep writing similar today but couldn't even get into description because of how disappointed and hurt I also feel that it failed in all of these areas. It didn't go into how extensive the withdrawal symptoms list is or how devastating each one is and can truly be, and what it is like to have a combination of them happening daily for sometimes years. It didn't cover how some people can't even taper slow enough or that they reach such a tolerance that no amount of benzo in their system is of any help at all. It doesn't cover how none of us know how long our symptoms will last, or what happens when we can't work at all or socialize, none of these things. What about those forced to work and/or raise kids, or take care of aging and dying relatives? What about those of us who become homeless as a result...? And it didn't cover a whole lot more.

What about the part regarding being labeled an addict by prescribers and pharmacists, or when a doctor doesn't even write the script and schedule an appointment in time to cover even a 30 day supply and the patient is waiting in a living hell nightmare of an experience while being gaslit by the medical profession and can't even be sure their prescription will be covered. What about walking into the pharmacy and you are about to fall on the floor or pass out, eyes wild, being tortured internally in ways no one even came close to describing on that segment? What about these things.

I am extremely tired, etc. from my symptoms and from being at this for three (plus) years. And to think, there are those of us here who have it continue for 5, 8, 10 yrs. Ha! Yeah right I'm excited and satisfied. Nonplused is more like it. Thankful that something is out at all, finally. That's about how I feel. And I like the series too, and also like Lisa Ling as a reporter.

F*ing hell. This was and is nowhere near close to good enough...

"in my opinon." <-- Why do so many of us seem to think we always need to say that here, myself included? It's getting redundant and can't we all begin to ever accept the implicit as a community. It's ludicrous. OF course it's my f*ing opinion. What other option do I have but to have one opinion that is my own, and why do I need to state this. We should all be intellectually and emotionally capable as adults of figuring these things out. Last time I'm typing it!

Media fail.  This show should be advertised on programming; not just people finding it by way of online.  And, yes, put faces on benzo dependency: professionals, housewives, retirees.  Stress dependency not addiction.  Of course, many of us are struggling too much to participate at all.  I've been "absent from life" entirely.  I haven't been further than my mailbox in 2 years. I look bedraggled/like a homeless person. I look nothing like who I was 2 years ago.  Looking as I do now, maybe, I'd be just the right depiction...to scare the medical profession into greater action of educating about this crisis - to the medical professionals, in particular.  And, therein lies one paradox.  The folks who are most paralyzed/crippled by this wouldn't be able to participate & the ones who are recovered enough, won't look as ruined as while in it.

..."Still feel the medical professionals, themselves, need to be further educated.  They've been prescribing these meds for at least 25 years, now...longer, counting valium & what's occurring now is that doctors' are just stopping prescriptions.  So, news of the dangers of benzo's are now known, but not how to responsibly & compassionately taper their patients off.  This is just cold-blooded treatment for the benzo-dependents that doctors & pharmaceuticals have made created.  I would love to actually see a physician who is knowledgable & one who I feel I'd be able to trust, after feeling betrayed by the doctor who both put me on ativan, prescribed @ a high dosage for over a decade & then gave 1 extra refill w/news of stopping prescribing. - I feel, b/c he must have been questioned by new uber-group who'd absorbed his smaller group practice. - The only doctor I've seen in the last 3 years is ER doctor in April, so that was not at all a comprehensive medical visit & I did not speak of benzo at all.  I've seen far too many posts here that any sxs are not recognized by the medical professions as being benzo or benzo w/d-related.

I'm tired of "treating myself" & finding my only reliable sources on this travesty being through an online community of strangers w/out medical experience; only the same, or similar, dire circumstances.  Let's be honest: That's a scary situation.  I'm in constant pain..  No feeling better, nor even leveling off; rather, worsening.  What's additionally scary is that throughout searches here, I am not finding anyone else w/worsening pain.  And, then, again, that hopeless feeling of "So what, even if I do find a compatriot in this awful battle, w/that particular similarity; unless it's someone who's been in the medical field, it's still an online stranger".  And, this is the "best there is".  This is gross negligence on the part of doctors."

:clap:

Its helpful somewhat but it doesn't go too in depth and mainly it talks about the dangers of tapering off too quick and what can happen during w/d and how benzo w/d might play a role in suicides but it never talks about how long w/d lasts are gives benzos all the credit they deserve in destroying lives.

I agree that it could have gone into greater depth on certain things and 40 some minutes is a lot of time but is it really enough time to go into all of those details? A 2 hr documentary might be able to adequately touch on everything but I think they did a fantastic job of drawing a basic picture that the general public can relate to and that's what really counts. It's a first step anyway, and if we show enough support maybe we will see a follow up or maybe someone else will decide to do a story on it.

Just the fact that it is an ACCURATE portrayal of the basics is huge. Pretty much every story I have seen before this manages to somehow screw it up in a fundamental way that causes as much harm as good (such as calling it addiction).

This is a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will be a catalyst for more positive changes.

I keep writing similar today but couldn't even get into description because of how disappointed and hurt I also feel that it failed in all of these areas. It didn't go into how extensive the withdrawal symptoms list is or how devastating each one is and can truly be, and what it is like to have a combination of them happening daily for sometimes years. It didn't cover how some people can't even taper slow enough or that they reach such a tolerance that no amount of benzo in their system is of any help at all. It doesn't cover how none of us know how long our symptoms will last, or what happens when we can't work at all or socialize, none of these things. And it didn't cover a whole lot more.

What about the part regarding being labeled and addict by prescribers and pharmacists, or when a doctor doesn't even write the script and schedule an appointment in time to cover even a 30 day supply and the patient is waiting in a living hell nightmare of an experience while being gaslit by the medical profession and can't even be sure their prescription will be covered. What about walking into the pharmacy and you are about to fall on the floor or pass out, eyes wild, being tortured internally in ways no one even came close to describing on that segment? What about these things.

I am extremely tired, etc. from my symptoms and from being at this for three (plus) years. And to think, there are those of us here who have it continue for 5, 8, 10 yrs. Ha! Yeah right I'm excited and satisfied. Nonplused is more like it. Thankful that something is out at all, finally. That's about how I feel. And I like the series too, and also like Lisa Ling as a reporter.

"in my opinon." <-- Why do so many of us we seem to think we always need to say that here, myself included?

These are all very valid points but I think you are looking a gift horse in the mouth. This is absolutely GROUNDBREAKING as far as benzo coverage goes. It is at the very least a primer. It doesn't point the finger at US, which is huge.

The video of that poor guy crying to his mom is worth more than a list of symptoms a mile long. I have a high tolerance and my emotions are in check but I was in tears when I saw that. Literal tears. People respond to things like this. If you want people to listen you have to hit them in the feels, and I think they managed to do that.

I keep writing similar today but couldn't even get into description because of how disappointed and hurt I also feel that it failed in all of these areas. It didn't go into how extensive the withdrawal symptoms list is or how devastating each one is and can truly be, and what it is like to have a combination of them happening daily for sometimes years. It didn't cover how some people can't even taper slow enough or that they reach such a tolerance that no amount of benzo in their system is of any help at all. It doesn't cover how none of us know how long our symptoms will last, or what happens when we can't work at all or socialize, none of these things. And it didn't cover a whole lot more.

What about the part regarding being labeled and addict by prescribers and pharmacists, or when a doctor doesn't even write the script and schedule an appointment in time to cover even a 30 day supply and the patient is waiting in a living hell nightmare of an experience while being gaslit by the medical profession and can't even be sure their prescription will be covered. What about walking into the pharmacy and you are about to fall on the floor or pass out, eyes wild, being tortured internally in ways no one even came close to describing on that segment? What about these things.

"in my opinon." <-- Why do so many of us we seem to think we always need to say that here, myself included?

These are all very valid points but I think you are looking a gift horse in the mouth. This is absolutely GROUNDBREAKING as far as benzo coverage goes. It is at the very least a primer. It doesn't point the finger at US, which is huge.

The video of that poor guy crying to his mom is worth more than a list of symptoms a mile long. I have a high tolerance and my emotions are in check but I was in tears when I saw that. Literal tears. People respond to things like this. If you want people to listen you have to hit them in the feels, and I think they managed to do that.

I agree actually FG, it's just ugh... frustrating. I want the public and the medical profession to see the entire picture.

Yeah, I actually agree--these are just my emotions about it all. Sure though, this is probably a good primer as you say.

It's just we need more and better/more precise and all-encompassing, and hopefully soon. And even more "feels." As in more stories, further in-depth, a fuller picture. Yes, I don't negate the emotional impact of that young man's story, but I wanted even more of it! Please, heaven above.

I know Lisa Ling questions whether benzo had something to do with her father's illness but for the most part the people who are making these things are news/entertainment/business people, they aren't patients. At the end of the day they have to put together a story that gets viewers, any benefits other gain from this are secondary. That's why most benzo coverage contains the word "addiction". It sells. They could have easily done a hatchet job on this like most other outlets have done.

I agree actually FG, it's just ugh... frustrating. I want the public and the medical profession to see the entire picture.

Yeah, I actually agree--these are just my emotions about it all. Sure though, this is probably a good primer as you say.

It's just we need more and better/more precise and all-encompassing, and hopefully soon. And even more "feels." Please, heaven above.

Oh, I hear ya loud and clear. I am coming up on 9 years off and I still have significant issues from this. I just think that we need to celebrate any victory, and I consider this to be a big one, despite its flaws.

It's just we need more and better/more precise and all-encompassing, and hopefully soon. And even more "feels." Please, heaven above.

Oh, I hear ya loud and clear. I am coming up on 9 years off and I still have significant issues from this. I just think that we need to celebrate any victory, and I consider this to be a big one, despite its flaws.

I am celebrating, just in my own hyper-critical grumpy way. :) Yes absolutely. I do celebrate with you, and with us!