Monophobia / Agoraphobia

[du...]

I keep looking for success stories... Not just on here but anywhere of people who has intense monophobia and agoraphobia caused by benzos. Those who did not have these phobias previously to being on these drugs.

I'm realizing that there is no one. Literally just read a post of someone who was 9 years off benzos and still had monophobia and agoraphobia.

That is something I'm unable to accept.

My life after this... if I still have these phobias... I can't do it. I've wasted so much of my life suffering, being confined to a single bedroom. Having to have someone watch me 24/7. The trauma of this. The isolation. The suffering. I won't put myself through more of it if there is no hope. I don't want someone to tell me everyone is different and it gets better. I can't continue tapering if I'm going to still be phobic after getting off this drug.

If you know of anyone who was monophobia and agoraphobia due to benzos and it resolved itself after their taper, please let me know.  :-[

Hi there.  My situation is a bit different from yours because I was a short term user of Ativan.  However, I reached tolerance very quickly and I suffered with  numerous withdrawal symptoms ( while I was taking the medication and after my cold turkey).  One of them was monophobia.

I am a single independent woman who left home at the age of 14 to attend a boarding school.  During the height of my withdrawal,  my mother had to fly cross country and sleep on my couch for two months because I could not be by myself!  She wanted to go back home, but I begged her to stay with me because I was terrified of being alone and I was much too ill to get on a plane. This is so uncharacteristic of me, but as you know, the medication simply robs you of your true self.

I am not yet completely healed, but I am drastically improved and the monophobia has completely gone away.  I am back to work and living on my own again.  In fact,  I am more adventurous than ever ( trying to make up for the life I missed out on while I was ill).  Over July 4, I took a solo road trip to Big Sur ...  i’ve been wanting to go there for a while but previously I was too afraid to drive alone!  I did it no problem. And this week, I spontaneously booked a trip to Chicago. I hope this brings some measure of comfort to you.

Agoraphobia was not one of my symptoms,  but I imagine that there are others on this board who can speak about their experiences.  Please hang in there!  Healing is happening,  just slower than we would like ....

I was never monophobic before benzos.  Now have driving phobia and panic and if I'm not with someone I know it is worse, as I know there is no backup.

Very hard on me as where I live is tiny and ugly and alway could drive, if only short trips.  Not being able to do this, basicly be agoraphobic, really is so very hard.

Am hoping will go back to how I was after benzo.

Hi,

I know Professor Ashton notes that 20% of her first 50 patients developed agoraphobia for the first time on or coming off benzos. According to her, all of it had resolved in those patients at the 1 year check-up. Hope that helps.

I know what you mean though. I've developed it as I've gotten lower in dosage. No fun at all!

I had this... during Acute two different times. Second time was easier but the first time it took me a week of going outside before I was able to make it to the mailbox!  I am 100% fine now.  Well.... I must admit that I am way more comfortable driving when my dog is in the car but I can do it!

I had this... during Acute two different times. Second time was easier but the first time it took me a week of going outside before I was able to make it to the mailbox!  I am 100% fine now.  Well.... I must admit that I am way more comfortable driving when my dog is in the car but I can do it!

Thanks, LeslieJ. So nice to hear of successes!