Author Topic: Meeting People  (Read 9088 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Meeting People
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2010, 11:18:34 pm »
I thought I was gettign happier lately, but now I'm close to being truly depressed.  It's extremely sad to have no friends or girlfriend and no hope of any either really.  It's kind of devestating.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2010, 12:51:53 am »
Only you have the power to change your situation, I look forward to seeing you do just that.  :thumbsup:
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2010, 12:56:11 am »
[...] have you tried joining any local clubs or sports or anything in your area? Might help you to meet some new friends and even some dates. You gotta get out there and change the situation, you can do it  :thumbsup:

[Buddie]

« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2010, 10:00:58 am »
I go play at a gym/club.  It does benefit me, but haven't made any friends or met any women.  If I did I would be too shy to make anything of it though.  Hmm I don't know what to do because it's been so many years of the same problems and I've felt this same way for years and years, so obviously I don't get much closer to figuring out how to stop the current pattern.

[Buddie]

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2011, 06:17:23 am »
It can be hard to do this without friends. I found that the people I had been hanging out with the last couple of years were not the best quality friends. Either they were also taking benzos, doing drugs or drinking heavily. I decided it was time to meet new people so I called one of my old buddies from school and started hanging out with him and his friends and now we do fun, productive, healthy stuff. But it was hard work to make friends. I actually had to go out instead of just staying home. I know how hard it is man. For years I just wanted to hide inside of my benzo shell. Just keep at it. I agree with the posters about volunteering somewhere doing something you might like. You're sure to meet some like-minded people there.

[Buddie]

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2011, 07:23:14 pm »
I almost started hanging out with one of my friends from school days also, but I'm honestly unsure if we would get along now.  He apparently had been on drugs and said he turned everything around now, but you never know if they really do or not.  I have a feeling he's still a lot more outgoing and the partier type while I'm more relaxed and don't like huge parties and 100 people talking in some loud room and whatnot.

I wish I could make myself make the necessary changes, but it depressingly feels like I'm never going to take any step.

[Buddie]

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2011, 08:13:01 pm »
What's even more annoying is I don't even have ONLINE friends anymore.  That's how i kept from going insane the past decade is all my online friends.  Now none of them talk to me more than 10 minutes per week and I don't make new ones either.  One women is online ALL the time and just ignores my IMs.  On this site everyone ignores my threads so I just stopped posting.  On a dating site I'm on most women ignore me totally also.  I don't really know how to make the type of online friends I used to have because I guess it was weird flukes that I made any in the past.  Usually they found ME instead of me finding them.

[Buddie]

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2011, 11:50:55 pm »
Hey Buddie,

I can relate to not being the party type of guy. I was that guy for many, many years and now after this, I am not that guy. Most of my friends would probably think I am boring now. :) That is ok with me. :)

I know you say many people don't post to you here, maybe reach out and post on a few blogs? Always freel free to post on mine, we don't talk about benzo wd all the time, alot of times it is goofy stuff, light hearted stuff. When I first arrived here, that is sort of how I built some friendships, I started a blog and just bounced around and met people. I can't say I have gotten along with everyone, there are always a couple people in whatever situation that we won't connect with, but I have made many good friends on this site, so it was worth the chance of reaching out. I found after I reached out to people and posted on a few blogs, they started posting on mine and it all snowballed from there.

Maybe take that chance....even if you just post on my blog, you will see a pretty interesting cast of characters that post there..maybe you will connect with some of them?

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2011, 12:11:50 am »
i agree with [...] and i was into partying for many, many years till all this hit the fan this past year.  i became isolated because i was trying to taper off the meds and didn't want to be around people and couldn't partake in the partying.  it has been very difficult.  but now i really have no desire to 'party'.  i am way into being healthy and exercising.  yoga is turning out to be very, very good for me.  but i am struggling in the friend dept. as well.  but i know i am on a different path now and that eventually i will make new friends and keep finding ways to socialize that i feel comfortable with.  it is a lot of change but i feel that it is good change.  i don't have a partner either and it has bothered me for a long time but now i really just want to be healthy and to feel very good.  my focus has changed and that has freed me from feeling down about not having a boyfriend. i am just accepting the fact that i have not been in the right place along my path to be with that person.  perhaps it will happen this year, i don't know.  i am just going to keep striving for optimal health and see what happens.  i hope this helps.  just know you are not alone in this struggle.

[Buddie]

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2011, 03:28:28 am »
I'm in a weird situation in that i feel I missed out by never being the partying type.  So half of me wants it now and half of me doesn't.  Or I guess more than half doesn't.  And since I'm mostly only interested in women in their low 20s.... it's not likely I'll find any who DON'T party all the time.

[...], I posted in a few at one point, but got out of the habit.  I'm not complaining.  Just using it as an example on how few people I interact with even online.  I've always been having a lot of online enemies due to people getting mad at my opinions too.  In fact one woman I was friends with on THIS site turned into a psycho nutcase solely because she thought I "wasn't trying" enough to do various life changes.  As if it affected her whatsoever.