hey all, it's been years and it's all good!

[ru...]

Hi all! Some of the oldtimers here will remember me. I was on this board back in 2006 and 2007, after having a nasty brush with Xanax, courtesy of my doctor and a hyperactive thyroid. The Xanax made me terribly OCD and after a month on it, I swtiched to Vakium and started my trek down. In about four months I was completely off-- March 11 2007. And I've been completely off since.

Since getting off, I've written a book, traveled to France four times and met my favorite folksinger in Slovenia and again in DC (got to sing back up for him there at the embassy.) I'm starting another book and headed back to France before the year is out. I'm also planning another trip to Ljubljana. And I took a permaculture certification course.

I do have a little residual tinnitus. But I had that before any of this started, so .. meh. Most of the time it is a faint hiss. When my benzo journey started it was as loud as five tea-kettles shrieking in my head. It still fluctuates and I still hope it will get quieter, but it is very tolerable at this level. Sometimes at night it is loud, but then everything is loud at night to me.

So life goes on. Benzos can be just a faint memory. :)

Thanks for letting me share. rufus

Thanks rufus for coming back and sharing your success with us, I remember reading your posts when I first joined in 2008.  You've managed to take back your life and live it to the fullest, thank you for offering hope to others.

Pam

Hi Pam! I've been meaning to get back and give y'all an update but this year has been a real roller coaster. All good but still! And I remember when I was tapering off how I thought Life would never be good again.

It's even better than good. It took time, and I had a few rough spots but I got through them.

You all take care!  :)

rufus

Hi, rufus, thanks for the great update.  Wrote a book, huh?  I know eljay and Colin will be so glad to see your post.  Don't be such a stranger.  ;)

Hey Beeper and summermeadow! Thanks!

Three things that helped me once I got off were time, sleep and protein.

Early on, when things got hairy, I'd realize I still felt better than I ever did on benzos. And I'd carry on.

Time, sleep, protein.

rufus

Hi rufus,

I do remember you and am so happy your life is good.  Thanks for the update as it really does help other members.  What is the title of your book?

Patty xo

Hey Patty! How are you doing?

The book.. right now it's called "Ljubica's Song". It's a paranormal thriller and I'm sending it out to agents, hoping to land one. I say "right now" because the publisher will probably change the title. (Thanks for asking.) :)

Hello Rufus,

I like that. Time, sleep and protein. Thanks. I sleep a great deal due to fatigue being my main wd sx.

Good luck with the book.

Summer

Hi Rufus,

Thanks for writing your story, as someone who has been off less then 2 months I love reading posts from those who went off before me and have recovered and enjoy life again.

I love that you wrote when things get hairy you still felt better then when  you were on benzos...I feel the same way..even whan I get slammed I can appreciate that I am able to feel again.

Again thank you,

Jacqueline

Thanks Rufus, I love success stories.  You are right about protein.  I had steak a couple of nites in a row and did have good sleep and better time.  Last nite I had a blt and wow not good.  So diet makes a difference.  Thank You again for the post.  Linder

Thank you for sharing Rufus - can't tell you how much it means to those of us still fighting our way up and out!  Good luck to you!

Rufe!!

It's so good to hear from you, and that you are doing well. I can't believe how much you have accomplished!

To those who don't know, Rufus was a long-time moderator here. Thank you again for all you've done for BB!  :smitten:

Linda  :mybuddy:

Hey all, thanks so much for the welcome! Things have been going really well-- a couple of menopausal things (haha!) but nothing that I can't handle by myself (no drugs). We lost our two old dogs and got a Lab, which means I get to get out and walk every morning. I also do exercises and use a mini-trampoline, and walk on a treadmill.  Swim when I get the chance. I've gotten down to a size 4 jeans-- woot!!! and do permaculture (gardening) when I'm not writing or traveling.

After my experience with getting off benzos, I decided that whenever Life offered me an opportunity, I would say "Yes!" That's how I ended up singing backup (in a language I don't understand!) for my folksinger friend. It's been an awesome adventure since getting off benzos.

Linda, it is so good to hear from you! I'm so glad to see the board is still going strong and that folks are still being helped. I don't know what I would have done had I not found benzobuddies. You guys are great!

Thanks so much for all your help!

rufus

Hey all, thanks so much for the welcome! Things have been going really well-- a couple of menopausal things (haha!) but nothing that I can't handle by myself (no drugs). We lost our two old dogs and got a Lab, which means I get to get out and walk every morning. I also do exercises and use a mini-trampoline, and walk on a treadmill.  Swim when I get the chance. I've gotten down to a size 4 jeans-- woot!!! and do permaculture (gardening) when I'm not writing or traveling.

After my experience with getting off benzos, I decided that whenever Life offered me an opportunity, I would say "Yes!" That's how I ended up singing backup (in a language I don't understand!) for my folksinger friend. It's been an awesome adventure since getting off benzos.

Linda, it is so good to hear from you! I'm so glad to see the board is still going strong and that folks are still being helped. I don't know what I would have done had I not found benzobuddies. You guys are great!

Thanks so much for all your help!

rufus

What a great idea, rufus.  I've been doing more of that myself but didn't know how to put it in words like that.  You go girl!  :highfive:

haha! Best example-- we're at the concert at the Slovene Embassy in DC. I'd just told my husband that if Life offers you a chance, you have to say "yes!" because it may not come around again. Right then Vlado stops the song he was singing and said, "Ruth, come up. Come sing!" So.. I did. I wasn't the only one singing but I was the only one who didn't understand the words-- and I had the microphone! Good thing I'd been singing the song for the past year!

I think the only thing I'd pass on would be holding a tarantula and jumping out of a plane.

rufus

It all started when someone posted a youtube of Vlado Kreslin on a friend's Facebook page, and I got the courage to write him and tell him how much his music had touched me.

Vlado is the sweetest man. He's the Bob Dylan of Slovenia. By a wild set of circumstances, he and his wife hosted us when we were in Ljubljana in January. Very long story how we got there, dealing with a canceled concert and nonrefundable tickets.

It was the first time we'd met them but he treated us like we were family. Right before we headed back to the hotel, he took us out on the balcony of his house --in the blizzard at 11:30 at night-- and, with his glasses perched on his nose and holding a flashlight, he read to us "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost.

Earlier in the night he had started singing "Odhaja Dan" and I started singing with him. He looked up at me and stopped, saying "You're singing." I replied, "Is it okay? I'm sorry..." "But you're singing in Slovene." "Well, that's how you sing it." "But in Slovene!" "I don't know the song any other way." He broke out into this huge grin --I've never seen such a look of joy on anyone's face as he had at that moment. Because you see I wasn't Slovene; I didn't know Slovene; I just loved his music.

So when my husband had a conference in DC the same day as Vlado was performing, I went up with my husband and took some pralines and rum balls for Vlado to take back to Eva and the kids. And that's the very short version of how all this transpired.

Hey Rufus - great to hear from you,

And great to hear that things are going so well for you. Writing books (what kind of books?) and your international jaunts and antics with Bob Dylan types. :socool: If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were showing off! :D Honestly, though, it is great for those still going through the process to read how well others are doing post-benzo.

Telling your stories brought a big smile to my face, and I'm sure a big smile to all those reading. Thank you for taking the time to let us all know how you are doing.

Good luck, and take care,

Colin. x

Edit: typo.

Hey, Colin! Me? Show off? <g>  Quite a far piece from when I was on the sofa for seven months, not even able to listen to a radio or watch tv, or read a book because I was so messed up.

I think Vlado felt bad because we'd made reservations and bought tickets (nonrefundable), and then the concert we were attending got canceled. (Flooding.) So he offered to perform for us in his house.

There definitely is life after benzos and it can be as good or even better than it was before benzos. I just want to give some hope to those still going through it and let them know that yes, it is so worth it to get through this and get on with life. :)

<g> I'm glad!! Thanks for taking a look, eljay!.

This is one of my favorites... 

And it even has the words printed out in the video. It made me think learning the language would be easy. Ha! Was I fooled.

Colin: The book is a paranormal thriller. I've got part of the book out to an agent now.