CBT for Sleep

[Da...]

Hi there, has anyone had any success from CBT for sleep? I've spoken to a doctor at a sleep clinic who says he's a 90% success rate even with patients suffering from insomnia for 30 years. Not sure if he's had patients in benzo withdrawal though. What are your thoughts?

CBT for insomnia was worse than useless for me during withdrawal (actually deprived me of what little sleep I could have had) and after more than 4 years on this forum, I have yet to hear from anyone who has had success with it. CBT is designed to tackle behavioral issues, not chemical issues.

CBT for insomnia was worse than useless for me during withdrawal (actually deprived me of what little sleep I could have had) and after more than 4 years on this forum, I have yet to hear from anyone who has had success with it. CBT is designed to tackle behavioral issues, not chemical issues.

I had the same experience. And that bottle was very expensive. Argh.

Thanks for the reply but that's disappointing news, thought I'd give it a try but now won't.

I understand your wanting to try everything because that was me a few years ago. CBT might have some benefit after you have recovered from your withdrawal, but find that any pre-benzo sleep issues have returned.

Thanks for the reply but that's disappointing news, thought I'd give it a try but now won't.

I would try it anyway. It works for some people. The only issue I see is the BWD people want something that works now, while CBT takes time.

• 1 month later...

Tend to agree that CBT-I during withdrawal might not be as effective but think it's definitely worth a try- People on this forum are those with continuing sleep issues-Makes sense there wouldn't be anyone that has used CBT-I that worked- I'm learning about it through a psychologist- Want to remain hopeful -It is now the first defense against insomnia-  If only our docs knew when our problems started- It's not instant gratification but those of us suffering need to at least try it-  Insomnia sucks every bit of joy out of life- 3 nights in a row with 1 hour-😫