Admins please help

[Ch...]

Tons of stomach pain led to anxiety induced insomnia last week.  Have been fully functional and feeling well mostly

Have been off klonopin for nearly a year, successfully micro-tapered.  Fast wean of ativan in 2012 which caused the stomach pain.

Can't sleep, had 2nd night of .25 mg klonopin last night.  Different kind of stomach pain.  Don't want to go back on but need sleep.  Anxiety very high from not sleeping.

Isn't there a safer med for deep sleep and to calm anxiety quick that would help.  Tried natural med didn't work, tried remeron but not deep sleep.  Tramaole in the pych med in 2017 but no deep sleep.  Can't go back in pych med. 

I had luck with chamomile tea as far as help with sleep.  I still take it at times.  Two bags in just a little hot water might be a good thing to try rather than taking pills.  I don't know of any safe, effective sleeping medications, I'm sorry.

Admins are simply forum volunteers, not experts.  You should get some good replies here on the Insomnia board.

:smitten:

I am so sad that I have to start up klon again due to insomnia.  Was in a psch ward in 2017 due to 4 weeks insomnia

There has to be a better way.  anyone please help

There are other benzodiazepines that are better suited to take for insomnia than Klonopin.  Temazepam and Oxazepam are both primarily prescribed for sleep.  Lunesta (z-drug essentially the same as a benzodiazepine) is also prescribed primarily for sleep.

I'm not advocating that you take any of the above, just not understanding why you feel you have to go back on Klonopin.

thank you.  I wonder which ones are less addicting and easier to get off of.

I took Temazepam for decades on and off without having noticeable withdrawals whenever I stopped.  Not the case with Xanax, from which I had a problematic withdrawal and long recovery.

Once one has a difficult withdrawal from a benzodiazepine it's a dicey decision to go back on them.  These days I look at lifestyle changes and herbal remedies and have chosen to leave drugs for life-saving situations or quality of life conditions only.  Insomnia is definitely in the 'quality of life' category and I feel your pain when it comes to not being able to sleep for nights on end.

The problem with starting up a benzodiazepine again is that sleep may improve for a short period and then tolerance is most likely to happen and then what?

Charlene, of course there's a better way.

Personally, I would not try any of the benzos for sleep. Or any of the z-drugs. Been there, done that.

As Challis mentioned, there is Lunesta but it's a benzo. A newer one, called Belsomra is classified as a sedative hypnotic. But (having taken just about every sleep aid on the market) I bet it leads to tolerance and people have a hard time getting off it. Just my thoughts.

L- tryptophan is an amino acid and is available OTC. It helped me sleep.

Melatonin helps many people sleep.

The best OTC sleeping aid I ever tried is Unisom Sleep Tabs. Half a 25 mg tab. But like all the other sleep aids, you develop tolerance to it. And it leaves you groggy in the morning. But you will sleep.

Indica marijuana is a good sleep aid, I've found. I used it  lot on my taper.

Now I use two camomille teabags in hot water. I get very sleepy in about half an hour.

There are about a zillion youtube sleep videos. Some with guided meditation, some not. Some are just music. Don't watch them -- just listen to them.

Hope this gives you some ideas. No need to go back on your benzo.

Katz