preparing mentally for endoscopy

[Bl...]

Hi Buddies. It is time, my hiperacidity (or at least, what I've thought the last 3 months) has gone too far.

I am scared of stomach cancer, only 1 in 5 cases is on an early diagnose, definitely don't want to be one of the other 5...

This Dr. "smirked" with derision when I told him about the taper (gastroenterologist), he is the kind of Dr with a big ego, and since I work in the medical field too, we have had our "disagreements" last time was on the phone..

I will make an appt. BUT, absolutely "NO BENZOS", so  hmm...

I am expecting his ego burst, but I don't care, he is one of the most recognized Dr's around, so I'll take my chance.

any of you familiar with the kind of anesthesic (sedation) used for this type of procedures?

I want to go prepared to the war

much love

Blossom

* currently taking Dexilant 60 mg every 24 hrs. + sucralfate 2 g every 8 hrs

any of you familiar with the kind of anesthesic (sedation) used for this type of procedures?

All I know is they placed a mask over my nose and asked me to count down from 10.  I only got to 8 and woke thinking it was the best sleep I've ever had in life.

Hyperacidity is not an indicator of stomach cancer. This type of cancer symptoms are blood in feces and you don't have that.

I am afraid it will make changes in the mucus membranes (epithelium) and then turn into cancer.

Hi Blossom, if possible lift up the top end of you bed about 8 inches. Try putting woodblocks or bricks or something else, solid and not sliding, under the bed legs or whatever your bed stands on. It lifts the entire bed and not just the matras, thus preventing acid to run back up at night. Did wonders for me. Stopped my acid reflux completely!  Good luck with your test. I had one last may, just some gagging. I had bad stomach pain, was sure I had cancer. All was just fine. Only benzos to blame for the pain...

Hi Blossom, if possible lift up the top end of you bed about 8 inches. Try putting woodblocks or bricks or something else, solid and not sliding, under the bed legs or whatever your bed stands on. It lifts the entire bed and not just the matras, thus preventing acid to run back up at night. Did wonders for me. Stopped my acid reflux completely!  Good luck with your test. I had one last may, just some gagging. I had bad stomach pain, was sure I had cancer. All was just fine. Only benzos to blame for the pain...

I am super nauseated, plus, wheatgrass made everything worse. I will stop supplementing until I get this done. Currently I am sleeping with 2 pillows, it helps, but definitely will give your tip a try. I just have to think how..

Thank you for your good wishes, I think also benzos makes us super paranoid about dying from this..

Two pillows will force your backbone into an unnatural shape. Getting the entire top end of the bed up about 5 to 8 inches will prevent that. I have put two building bricks on the floor,  with a plank on top of that, covered with a piece of floor covering, to prevent sliding and scratching.  (my bed has metal legs.) It worked for me; over the last 40 years I have had three stomach ulcers,  once a bleeding one and lots of heartburn. The ulcers left scar tissue.  Since raising the top end of my bed some 15 years ago,  all my complaints have vanished. The stomach pain earlier this year was due to tapering. I strongly suggest you to give it a try. Am sure you're going to love it! With regard to supplementing ; I only take one multivitamin tablet a day. Not a strong one with crazy DRI%. Just 50%.  My system doesn't agree with other supplements.  I drink fresh ginger tea against the nausea.  Sometimes it helps.

Hi Buddies. It is time, my hiperacidity (or at least, what I've thought the last 3 months) has gone too far.

I am scared of stomach cancer, only 1 in 5 cases is on an early diagnose, definitely don't want to be one of the other 5...

This Dr. "smirked" with derision when I told him about the taper (gastroenterologist), he is the kind of Dr with a big ego, and since I work in the medical field too, we have had our "disagreements" last time was on the phone..

I am expecting his ego burst, but I don't care, he is one of the most recognized Dr's around, so I'll take my chance.

much love

Blossom

Following. Good luck with your endoscopy Blossom.

Ho blossom, I passed a similar situation some time ago. I refused to take benzo as anesthetic and I was given propofol: I didn't have consequences at all. Please don't take benzo, and don't care about the doctor's ego, it's his problem. To sleep you should put some centimeters under you bed's head, to avoid night reflux. Consider anti-reflux drugs, if you have some fears about acidity. I had the same fears you have, but I was find absolutely nothing wrong; now sympthoms have passed, it's simply withdrawal so it should goes away with time.. But I suggest you to be careful about quantity and quality of eating.

Hugs 🤗

much love

Blossom

Hi Blossom,

I had 2 endoscopies in 2015 for gastric ulcers. They use a drug called Propofol, which is a short acting baribituate. It is an excellent drug give IV. You go out quick and wake up quick. No after effects at all.

I had no trouble. I would see if they give that.

Blossom, I didn't take anything before having the procedure done. Didn't want it and...didn't need it. It just took a bit of gagging and some belching and they'd finished the test. Once the tube is in, most of the troubles are over IMO. But good luck,  with whatever way you choose.

Guys, this is crazy.

Today I woke up with 80% of my symptoms GONE. I think the sucralfate is doing it’s job....I will try not to do the endoscopy unless all this comes again. I will do a coprologic today or tomorrow to see if there is any blood in the feces (to be honest that is a major concern) if not, I will try to do the endoscopy after I finish my taper...I really don’t want to mess anymore with my body.

Thank you all for your replies and tips, I will definitely give the bed raising a try.

Will watch what I eat and hopefully I will be able to finish this soon.

Much love

Blossom

Blossom, when I had an ulcer I used Carafate (sucralfate) and it worked like magic. That having been said, it works as follows:

Carafate is not greatly absorbed into the body through the digestive tract. It works mainly in the lining of the stomach by sticking to ulcer sites and protecting them from acids, enzymes, and bile salts. Carafate is used to treat an active duodenal ulcer

If it worked so well for you, I wonder . . . could you have an ulcer? Why did your doc prescribe this if not to treat a suspected ulcer? An endoscopy would find out for sure. If it were me, given your s/x, I would have the endoscopy.

I was worried about the anesthetic also. I asked for propofol, a non-benzo. I was fine.

Hope you get this straightened out. Again, if it were me, I would sure have the endoscopy. Now.

Best,

Katz

Thanks Katz..he said it would “complement” the treatment... because the ppi by itself was not working 100%.

I think I will go on the safe side with the coprologic, whats your opinion on that?

As far as I know, blood will show in the sample if I have it, or not?

Help appreciated

Blossom

Do you mean blood will show in the poop sample if you have an ulcer? Not necessarily. It takes a while for the eroded spot(s) in your gut to start bleeding. And when they do, the ulcer might be huge and serious. Some require surgery.

If I had had an endoscopy when I was having pain, gi distress, nausea etc, I could have gotten on the condition and started treatment earlier. But, no, I waited, telling myself who knows what fairy tale about how it would all be okay. Then my ulcers (3) started bleeding and scared the living daylights out of me. Fortunately they were fixed with Carafate.

Again, if it were me, I'd have the endoscopy. It's really no big deal. Then you could stop worrying about what you might or might not have (including stomach cancer). It would put your mind at ease, no?

Just worried about you, Blossom.  :-\

Katz

Do you mean blood will show in the poop sample if you have an ulcer? Not necessarily. It takes a while for the eroded spot(s) in your gut to start bleeding. And when they do, the ulcer might be huge and serious. Some require surgery.

If I had had an endoscopy when I was having pain, gi distress, nausea etc, I could have gotten on the condition and started treatment earlier. But, no, I waited, telling myself who knows what fairy tale about how it would all be okay. Then my ulcers (3) started bleeding and scared the living daylights out of me. Fortunately they were fixed with Carafate.

Again, if it were me, I'd have the endoscopy. It's really no big deal. Then you could stop worrying about what you might or might not have (including stomach cancer). It would put your mind at ease, no?

Just worried about you, Blossom.  :-\

Katz

Oh my god Katz, thank you so much for making this clear. I will do the endoscopy, I am just anxious about the procedure...ha

The dr told me “that if I had an ulcer it will show on the coprologic”

I am very glad I have you guys

I’ll let you know how it goes!

Blossom

It's really not a big deal, Blossom. I can understand why you'd rather not have it, though. No one likes procedures!

Keep us posted?

:smitten:

Katz

It's really not a big deal, Blossom. I can understand why you'd rather not have it, though. No one likes procedures!

Keep us posted?

:smitten:

Katz

I am afraid to hear it :( But I trust God and the universe, it is what it is..

It’s scheduled for friday at 9:00 am

I’ll keep you guys posted

Blossom

OK guys.... So this is what happened.

The endoscopy was done, results were :

Hiatal hernia and hyperemia on the mucosa. Meaning pretty much nothing, Dr said keep taking the PPI ,that's IT.....

He said the hiatal hernia was almost irrelevant.

It's all due to taper!!!!

BUT HERE IS THE REAL NEWS......I told the Dr "no benzos", he gave me Propofol IV. I woke up feeling a little "lightheaded" my husband drove me home...when I got home obviously I was "feeling great" because of the drug...no anxiety, a sense of "wellbeing" etc...I read this was very normal with propofol.

NOTE: I am NOT glorifying the use of any drug or saying anyone should try anything besides what is legal and how it should be done (in hospital)

a day after the procedure I was still feeling great, no anxiety, no nothing, no muscle stiffness, NO HEARTBURN....NO NAUSEA!!

I called my General Doctor  (he is supportive in this) and told him what was happening. He was surprised, he told me propofol's effect only lasts like 15 minutes, and that it should be "out of the system" apparently, he couldn't explain why all of my symptoms were gone. He said that since propofol and benzos share receptors, propofol probably "made a balance" in my brain...but he was shocked that I was still feeling the effect after a day

I don't know what happened. It seems like the propofol dose DID balance something.. I don't have nausea anymore or heartburn. my muscles are not stiff.. I don't know how much will this last though.

In conclusion:    my endoscopy came out FINE!!!! IT'S ALL DUE TO THIS HORRIBLE TAPER.

Propofol took away my symptoms... 2 days symptom free..

Blossom

Amazing, Blossom! And such great news! You must be very relieved. I know how worried you were.

And how wonderfully weird that you are having a "propofol window". Woo hoo. Long may it last!

Katz

Amazing, Blossom! And such great news! You must be very relieved. I know how worried you were.

And how wonderfully weird that you are having a "propofol window". Woo hoo. Long may it last!

Katz

Katz! thank you so much for checking on me. Yes, I was very vert worried...all this benzo thing...cancer..argh....I will now forget about cancer... I am healthy! besides all the things this medication has done to me, I am positive this will pass...

And about the propofol...yes it is weird.

I just don't get it! hopefully will last until the end of my taper, fingers crossed

thanks again for everything Katz.

healing vibes for you and a lot of love

Blossom

Hi Blossom,

Glad you got the endoscopy done! Nothing to it! I had 2 back in 2015. I had 2 gastric ulcers.

Like Katz, I was in agony with pain, but I had to wait 3 months until I could be seen. Insane. I had lost so much weight and knew I had an ulcer or at least gastritis. The endoscopy confirmed it. I had to have a second one done. I was given Profofol and it is a great drug. It is a short acting Barbituate and it does hit the GABA receptor. It is very short acting and puts you to sleep quickly and you wake up quickly which is great. I am so glad you are alright and feeling good!

Blossom,  Congratulations!  I know how releaved you must be with the outcome of the procedure. I still know how happy I felt. Nowadays whenever my stomach bothers me, I say to myself, it's OK, It wasn't cancer.

It helps a great deal.

Omg Dana those three months must have been horrible, specially mentally.... I am glad you are over it!

trochsetter YES! no stomach cancer!

I felt like this was the push that I needed to end my taper soon

thank you guys for your support, I really mean it.

much love

Blossom