Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Chronicle of Two Separate Withdrawals (Valium and Clonazepam)

[...]

I was prescribed 10 mg. 4x/day of valium many decades ago for lower back pain. I had absolutely no idea at the time what the mechanism of action was, except for being told it was a "Muscle Relaxer". My girlfriend at the time said I began to act "loopy", though I wasn't aware that anything was substantially out of the ordinary.

About a year later, I made a major move to another state, and almost on a whim, decided it was time for a whole new start, which include getting off of this valium prescription--which I did cold turkey (not knowing any better at the time). It felt very intense for about a week, but I don't recall having any major difficulties or lingering concerns after that.

Jump forward to about 2000, and I was trying to figure out the best way to address so many of the symptoms of ME/CFS, with a major symptom being "Excitatory Neurotoxicity". This was a major focus and concern of Dr. Paul Cheny, a prominent ME/CFS doctor at the time. He was quite adamant that this was such a dangerous situation (sort of low-level seizure activity that could get much worse), and put most of his patients on Klonopin.

At the time I read about this, I was experiencing profound exhaustion, but was also experiencing a "Wired" feeling as well, often referred to as "Tired but Wired". Dr. Cheny considered this "Tired but Wired" phenomenon to be a dangerous "Neurotoxic State", and presribed Klonopin for most of his patients to stop that low-level seizure activity.

So I began to take it, and did experience a lot of relief from the Tired but Wired state, and also was able to sleep much better. I averaged about 1-2mg of Clonazepam per day for about the next 12-13 years. Though I didn't feel it negatively affected me a lot during this time, I eventually began to notice a strong sense of a "hangover" feeling in the mornings. The more I took, the greater the hangover.

Having started to read more on the "questionable" wisdom for ME/CFS patients to resort to benzodiazapinies, I decided it was time for me to quit this if I could. I researched the potential complications quite extensively, and was able to do a fairly well-managed taper over about 15 months. -- I was surprised that the last tiny little speck I was taking ended up being the most difficult to adjust to.

But after I did quit that last little speck, I felt I found a pretty comfortable baseline after about 3-4 months. However, I still had the lingering experience of "Tired but Wired", and found myself trying to find more natural relief. I eventually discovered a micro-current device called "Alpha-Stim", which helped calm that down considerably. Shortly after I started using the Alpha-Stim, I felt like it would have been an invaluable aid as I withdrew from the Clonazepam.

More recently, I was given an anti-nausea medication called Promethazine (aka Phenergen) at the ER. Though I only took a single dose, it left me with debilitating tinnitus and other serious neurological issues such as intense ADD, and much more. In short, it revved up my whole fairly fragile neurological system into a whole new level of "Tired but Wired".

In desperation, I decided to purchase a home mHBOT unit, as I'd heard it could be helpful for some cases of tinnitus. Over the past 7-8 months or so, I've had some modest improvements in the tinnitus (and other ear pain and discomfort), but I would estimate I've had a 50%+ improvement in my ability to deal with it. I attribute most of this increased brain and neurological resiliency to the daily mHBOT sessions (average about 30-60 minutes).

Similarly to the Alpha-Stim, I now believe daily mHBOT would have also been invaluable in helping me taper from my Clonazepam usage (about 5 years ago). If I were to do a comparison of the Alpha-Stim to the mHBOT, I'd say the mHBOT was about 2-3 times more effective. The first time I got into an mHBOT chamber, I almost began to cry after about 30 minutes, as my whole system began to relax again. Up until then, I was concerned that I would NEVER be able to relax again from what the Promethazine (aka Phenergen) had done to my system (about two months earlier).

These days, I often frequent a tinnitus forum called TinnitusTalk. There's a lot of discussion on benzodiazapines over there, with some having some very bad experiences with them, and others finding it's the only thing that gives them any sense of relief. Which many need, as severe tinnitus can lead people to suicide, and some even end up in psychiatric institutions. Though my tinnitus is serious, I feel I've learned a number of things over the years on how to naturally calm my brain and neurological system down, so I don't feel nearly so desperate as many on that forum do.

At times however, when the tinnitus becomes especially intense, I do "resort" to getting some temporary relief by using some very small amounts of Valium (Diazapam). I have a prescription for 2 mg tablets, and I essentially cut them into 1/8ths, so I take about .25 mg at a time. I would say I average taking this tiny amount about 1/2x/month. It's such a tiny amount, but I do get a bit of relief from the tinnitus intensity for as long as 24 hours.

But I still have my concerns, after having withdrawn from 2 different benzodiazapine withdrawals. I do wonder if my system is more vulnerable to some of the downsides of benzdiazapine usage than if I hadn't taken them twice before. I don't consider my current situation to be untenable, as I don't feel any kind of benzodiazapine dependence, and can hardly imagine that happening again.

But I thought I would join this forum to familiarize myself with aspects of benzodiazapine usage and withdrawl I may not be aware of, and perhaps share some of the so called "alternative things" I do that might be of help to others on this forum trying to better handle their own benzodiazapine withdrawal. I'm looking forward to using the "Search Function" to see if anything has been written on either mHBOT or Alpha-Stim.

I've been somewhat shocked to read about some of the horrendous benzodiazapine withdrawal experiences some people endure. If I can help others in some small way, I look forward to being able to do that. This may be a bit redundant, but I can't stress enough what a huge factor mHBOT has been for my brain and neurological system. I just can't help but think it could likely be very helpful for many on this forum. -- All the Best...

Hello Lane,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! You certainly have been through a lot going through benzo withdrawal twice and also dealing with other health issues.

I'm sorry you had such a negative reaction to phenergen.  All medications have side effects and some people are ultra sensitive to drugs once they've gone through benzo withdrawal. The central nervous system is very fragile and it doesn't take much to upset the balance.

Tinnitus can be very difficult to deal with. It is actually a very common benzo withdrawal symptom.  I've had low level tinnitus for as long as I can remember totally unrelated to benzos or withdrawal. It's so low I can easily ignore it.

I've heard of Alpha-Stim and mHBOT. You might find some members who have experience with these two modalities. I'll give you a link to the Alternative Therapies Board where this would be discussed.

I'll also give you a link to the Post Withdrawal Recovery Board where you can post and receive feedback from members.

In terms of taking small amounts of valium when the tinnitus is extreme, that would have to be your call. You'll hear a lot of different views about this. 

I'm glad you've joined the forum, there is a lot of good information as well as excellent support from our kind an friendly members.

Alternative Therapies & Supplements

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support 

pianogirl  :)

Welcome Lane:

I tried oxygen therapy but found the site I was paying to use was only a decompression unit.  I had to advise the doctor who was providing this that if there was not

a oxygenator attached to the machine, it was in no way supplying a higher amount oxygen, just a lot of pressure.  He went on  to order one but decided time was the

best cure for benzo withdrawal.  Do you know if yours supplies 99% oxygen levels?  I'll have to look up Alph-stem but am thinking it is a kind of tens unit???

I've attached a link which shows a list of the possible drugs that may be contraindicative with the phenergen that you took.  It's aggravating to say the least that doctors don't research better when prescribing meds.  A single dose of some antibiotics when combined with a benzo can bring on severe rapid symptoms.  There is

not enough research out there for the general population about the effects of interactions of benzos and many kinds of meds and supplements.  This link is pretty dependable and certainly shows contraindications between the two drugs >:(

httpts://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/promethazine,phenergan.html

I might be the only person that suggests that even one dose of valium at this time might cause symptoms that can be long lasting. I'm glad your tinnitus is fading and

believe it will continue to fade and hope you can push through any new serious episodes without taking another benzo.  It may very well be more dangerous to

take a drug occasionally especially because of your history.  I am personally choosing to stay away from any PAMs for at least a year.

Wishing you continued healing :)

Klonkar

Hi Pianogirl,

Thank you for the warm welcome!  :)

RE: -- "All medications have side effects and some people are ultra sensitive to drugs once they've gone through benzo withdrawal."

Thanks for mentioning this, it's not something I was aware of.  Besides being ultra sensitive to drugs, I also have pretty extreme MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity).  I wonder now if that could be from having taking benzos as well.

I also have a disconcerting sensitivity to various kinds of "motions".  I've noticed this forum has a lot of moving emoticons (or whatever they may be called).  Is there a setting in my profile where I can disable these emoticons?  That would be very helpful.

I like your username.  I would guess music if important for you.  I think I even detect a nice melody in your writing.  :)

P.S.  BTW, the "clock" or time seems to be off by a few hours.  Would that be something I can edit or correct?  --  Also, I'm having a bit of difficulty navigating this forum.  Is there a thread somewhere that addresses forum navigation topics?  --  Thanks!

Hi Klonkar,

Thanks for you reply.

RE: -- "Do you know if yours supplies 99% oxygen levels?  I'll have to look up Alph-stem but am thinking it is a kind of tens unit???"

I do have an oxygen concentrator that I use in conjunction with my home mHBOT unit.  I've done sessions both with and without supplemental oxygen, and much prefer having the extra oxygen.  There are benefits without the oxygen however.

I don't know that much about Tens units, but if I recall correctly, it's different than the Alpha-Stim and other microcurrent devices on the market.

Thanks for the link on Promethazine.  I'll definitely take a look at it.  Even though I took that single dose over 18 months ago, I still wake up some mornings and feel like it's coursing through my system all over again, albeit at a reduced intensity.  But still unpleasant.

Not sure what PAMs are...  It's looking like there's a fair amount of "lingo" I will have to learn here.  I've seen other abbreviations that I have no clue about as well. -- Just to mention regarding the mHBOT, some areas have businesses that rent these out by the month, normally around $500-$600/month or so.

Thanks for your well wishes!  :)

Hi Pianogirl,

Thank you for the warm welcome!  :)

RE: -- "All medications have side effects and some people are ultra sensitive to drugs once they've gone through benzo withdrawal."

Thanks for mentioning this, it's not something I was aware of.  Besides being ultra sensitive to drugs, I also have pretty extreme MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity).  I wonder now if that could be from having taking benzos as well.

I also have a disconcerting sensitivity to various kinds of "motions".  I've noticed this forum has a lot of moving emoticons (or whatever they may be called).  Is there a setting in my profile where I can disable these emoticons? That would be very helpful.

I like your username.  I would guess music if important for you. I think I even detect a nice melody in your writing.  :)

P.S.  BTW, the "clock" or time seems to be off by a few hours.  Would that be something I can edit or correct?  --  Also, I'm having a bit of difficulty navigating this forum.  Is there a thread somewhere that addresses forum navigation topics?  --  Thanks!

I'll have to check but I don't believe there is a way to disable emoticons. 

Yes, music is very important to me, I've been a piano teacher for (gasp) 40 years and played and studied piano much longer than that.

Do you play an instrument?

PG