Seriously?! Shingles!

[en...]

I’m only into day two of going from 1 mg to .75 of k and feel like crap. Wasn’t expecting this so soon. Also have shingles so am sure that doesn’t help matters. Anyone else had shingles while going through this crap? Probably should have waited until the shingles is done, but too late now.

I am sorry that you have to deal with that. My friend has had them a few times and my husband had a very bad case some years back. It is not too late. You can just go back up to 1mg. It's only been 2 days and withdrawal puts a lot of stress on the body. I would certainly wait until you are healed.

Also .25mg is a pretty big cut from 1mg. That is a 25% cut. Usually 5-10% is what most people do.

Hope you feel better soon!

You're probably right Dana, I'm in a fog and can't think straight. This is my third time with shingles. Thanks for your kind words.

I am sorry that you have to deal with that. My friend has had them a few times and my husband had a very bad case some years back. It is not too late. You can just go back up to 1mg. It's only been 2 days and withdrawal puts a lot of stress on the body. I would certainly wait until you are healed.

Also .25mg is a pretty big cut from 1mg. That is a 25% cut. Usually 5-10% is what most people do.

Hope you feel better soon!

I agree wholeheartedly with this advise, both the going back up to 1 mg until the shingles are gone and when ready to taper, do a much smaller cut.  Best of luck.

Thanks Whoopsie for your response. I did go back up to 1 mg and feel better this a.m. Will give it a week or so until the shingles is gone, thankfully I have a mild case, and start over with a smaller cut.

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better.  :)

It will be hugely beneficial to you to get thoroughly educated on the best way to taper before you begin the process so that you can get off successfully and reduce suffering.  Best of luck. 

This is my second attempt, first time I was so close to jumping, but I was soooooooo sick, I ended up up dosing to 1 mg of the k. That was four years ago. It's taken me this long to feel good enough to try reducing to .50 mg. Next week I'm going to contact my doctor to get some .125's so I can start the liquid method. And go slowly. Not sure what I was thinking when I thought I could go from 1 mg to .75. I'm surprised my doctor didn't say something, because he remembers how sick I was the first time. Oh well, I'll get it right one of these days. I was going over the liquid titration to reacquaint myself. Think I've got it figured out. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

My pleasure Enough.

Out of curiosity, how did you taper on the first attempt?  I mean, what method did you use and how long did you take to taper off 1 mg K?

I was on 2 mg. four years ago. I first did a .50 cut to 1.5 with little to no problems. I think it was for three weeks. I think I then went to 1.25 for a few weeks and once I hit 1 mg, I did the liquid taper. I'd take .75 and then with the other .25 I mixed it with 14 ml of liquid and removed 1 ml at night, 2 ml the next night and so on. Once I got down to 50 mg. I'd take a .25 & .125 mg tablets and mix the other .125 with liquid and removed 1 ml, then 2 ml. Got to within three days & was extremely sick. I was working the entire time and couldn't take time off. That's when I updosed to 1 mg. I do remember holding my doses a few times because of the withdrawal. My goal this time is to get to .50 and probably hold for a year or so, depending on how I'm feeling. My PTSD and DID do get in the way of my mission. And, of course, the anxiety and depression.

Sounds like a well thought out plan to just to, very slowly, get rid of 1/2 the dose you're on.  I'm a big fan of easy does it and one day at a time.  Once again, best of luck.  :)

Hello, I agree with the advice given. I had shingles last month in my head on the right side. I took acyclovir for 10 days. Also was taking VItamin C 500 mg three times a day and Lysine 500 mg three times a day. I took 200 mg ibuprofen 3 times a day for pain. I was good to go in about three weeks. Hope you get well soon!

PG

Sounds like a well thought out plan to just to, very slowly, get rid of 1/2 the dose you're on.  I'm a big fan of easy does it and one day at a time.  Once again, best of luck.  :)

Thanks!

Hello, I agree with the advice given. I had shingles last month in my head on the right side. I took acyclovir for 10 days. Also was taking VItamin C 500 mg three times a day and Lysine 500 mg three times a day. I took 200 mg ibuprofen 3 times a day for pain. I was good to go in about three weeks. Hope you get well soon!

PG

Thanks. I've got a few days left on Valacyclovir and am taking Advil for the discomfort, it's a mild case, thank goodness.

I read Taurine helps with combating Shingles.  Heard it from a Doctor on SkyWatch TV.  Her name is Sharon Gilbert who is on a show called SCIFRIDAY.

• 2 weeks later...